Galway Forum

Junior hurling league

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi, I'm researching club league hurling in different counties. Tbf the Galway gaa website is quite informative until you reach junior hurling especially league. It would appear that junior teams/clubs only get 3 league games but intermediate teams get 13 and senior 11. Is this correct and are there divisional leagues to supplement This?
I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to explain junior league hurling to me within the county. How many competitive games can a genuine junior standard hurler expect to play in a season?
Thks

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 06/12/2017 12:57:18    2064537

Link

Not going to claim to be an expert on the matter, but I think this is how it works. As far as I'm aware, the Junior League is only for clubs who have another team playing at a higher grade. There's no promotion in the league so it's not that important. Teams play three group games but there's a knockout element as well so Liam Mellows, the 2017 winners, played an additional four games added to that, so 7 league games over all.

There's two championshops then, The Junior 1 Championship and the Junior A championship.

The Junior 1 Championship is for clubs whose Junior team would be their No.1 hurling team and the winners of the championship go on to the Connacht & All-Ireland competitions. A club's second team isn't allowed to represent a county. You can play 4-6 games in that

The Junior A Championship is then the one that decides the County Champions and who is promoted. The groups are bigger so you going to get 5-6 group games and then up to four more, depending how far you progress.

If your team plays in the Junior League and the Junior A Championship, you're guaranteed at least 8 games (3 League & 5 Champ). You could play 17 altogether, theoretically. If your team plays Junior 1 and the Junior A Championship, you guaranteed 9 games (4 J1 & 5 Champ), and you could play up to 16. (Not counting for replays or walkovers, obviously.)

GalwayFancyDans (Galway) - 06/12/2017 16:26:23    2064553

Link

Replying To GalwayFancyDans:  "Not going to claim to be an expert on the matter, but I think this is how it works. As far as I'm aware, the Junior League is only for clubs who have another team playing at a higher grade. There's no promotion in the league so it's not that important. Teams play three group games but there's a knockout element as well so Liam Mellows, the 2017 winners, played an additional four games added to that, so 7 league games over all.

There's two championshops then, The Junior 1 Championship and the Junior A championship.

The Junior 1 Championship is for clubs whose Junior team would be their No.1 hurling team and the winners of the championship go on to the Connacht & All-Ireland competitions. A club's second team isn't allowed to represent a county. You can play 4-6 games in that

The Junior A Championship is then the one that decides the County Champions and who is promoted. The groups are bigger so you going to get 5-6 group games and then up to four more, depending how far you progress.

If your team plays in the Junior League and the Junior A Championship, you're guaranteed at least 8 games (3 League & 5 Champ). You could play 17 altogether, theoretically. If your team plays Junior 1 and the Junior A Championship, you guaranteed 9 games (4 J1 & 5 Champ), and you could play up to 16. (Not counting for replays or walkovers, obviously.)"
Thanks,
So Sylane, for instance, would have stayed at junior level if they hadn't won junior A championship even though they are Connacht and potential all ireland champions?

So if you are a genuine junior club Hurler for a club like Liam Mellows( bad example I know as they won junior league) you may only get 8 games in the season? That's assuming you don't get our of the group in either league or championship.
If you are a junior club like Ballinasloe you may only get 9 between junior and junior 1?
Isn't a senior guarrenteed 16 and intermediate more? It seems a bit imbalanced.
Its not great if you are at that level and most players coming out of underage are.

Are the Galway clubs happy with this situation? Is it likey to remain that way?
Thks for your reply.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 07/12/2017 12:10:27    2064603

Link

Replying To Tadhgmacda:  "Thanks,
So Sylane, for instance, would have stayed at junior level if they hadn't won junior A championship even though they are Connacht and potential all ireland champions?

So if you are a genuine junior club Hurler for a club like Liam Mellows( bad example I know as they won junior league) you may only get 8 games in the season? That's assuming you don't get our of the group in either league or championship.
If you are a junior club like Ballinasloe you may only get 9 between junior and junior 1?
Isn't a senior guarrenteed 16 and intermediate more? It seems a bit imbalanced.
Its not great if you are at that level and most players coming out of underage are.

Are the Galway clubs happy with this situation? Is it likey to remain that way?
Thks for your reply."
Ya, Sylane would still have been Junior next year if they had only won the Junior 1 Championship. It happened with Micheál Breathnachs last year I think, or the year before. Nothing stopping a club winning 10 Junior All-Irelands in a row if they can't win the Junior A in Galway, as far as I know.

As for the amount of games, teams in Intermediate and Senior wouldn't play that many league games. While there's two groups of 12 in the Senior League, each team only played six games before the knock-out round this year. Similar enough in the Intermediate. I have no idea why the groups are so big, playing 11 league games or more is fairly unrealistic anyway in a dual county.

Whether clubs are happy with it, I don't know how much appetite for change there is? You'd probably need a complete overhaul. Championships with 16 teams and leagues split into 8-team divisions, with promotion and relegation, would be a decent format but won't happen anytime soon seeing as it would need clubs to vote to effectively relegate themselves.

Also, you can't really overestimate how hard it is to fit all the competitions into one year, especially when your two Senior county teams are generally still in the champioship until August and your underage teams have decent success as well.

GalwayFancyDans (Galway) - 07/12/2017 19:54:35    2064633

Link

Replying To GalwayFancyDans:  "Ya, Sylane would still have been Junior next year if they had only won the Junior 1 Championship. It happened with Micheál Breathnachs last year I think, or the year before. Nothing stopping a club winning 10 Junior All-Irelands in a row if they can't win the Junior A in Galway, as far as I know.

As for the amount of games, teams in Intermediate and Senior wouldn't play that many league games. While there's two groups of 12 in the Senior League, each team only played six games before the knock-out round this year. Similar enough in the Intermediate. I have no idea why the groups are so big, playing 11 league games or more is fairly unrealistic anyway in a dual county.

Whether clubs are happy with it, I don't know how much appetite for change there is? You'd probably need a complete overhaul. Championships with 16 teams and leagues split into 8-team divisions, with promotion and relegation, would be a decent format but won't happen anytime soon seeing as it would need clubs to vote to effectively relegate themselves.

Also, you can't really overestimate how hard it is to fit all the competitions into one year, especially when your two Senior county teams are generally still in the champioship until August and your underage teams have decent success as well."
Thanks again, it explains the senior and intermediate league tables as per Galway GAA website. I taught they hadn't bothered to keep the tables updated tbh like they do in other counties.

It's because of the new intercounty championship structures(which I welcome) that I'm curious as to how club leagues work in the various counties. Club players will have to fill match, may, June, July and part of August with league hurling at all grades due to this change. I'm not sure what you describe in Galway will achieve that.
There appears to have been 66 teams playing league hurling in Galway in 2017. That includes one Roscommon club. If you included the other 6 Roscommon clubs you would have 72 teams which would make a very good merit based league system of either 8 divisions of 9 or 9 divisions of 8 with promotion and relegation. Personally I prefer the 8 divisions of 9 as it delivers equal numbers of home and away games. That said Galway are doing ok.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 07/12/2017 20:48:11    2064637

Link

Replying To GalwayFancyDans:  "Ya, Sylane would still have been Junior next year if they had only won the Junior 1 Championship. It happened with Micheál Breathnachs last year I think, or the year before. Nothing stopping a club winning 10 Junior All-Irelands in a row if they can't win the Junior A in Galway, as far as I know.

Also, you can't really overestimate how hard it is to fit all the competitions into one year, especially when your two Senior county teams are generally still in the champioship until August and your underage teams have decent success as well."
Dublin seem to have the best and most transparent system that I can find. It runs pretty much the way I'm suggesting in Galway except there are 12 teams per division.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 07/12/2017 20:53:06    2064639

Link