(Oldest Posts First)

Any Opinions on the game

longtermfan (Limerick) - 29/11/2017 18:23:47    2064050

Link

Replying To longtermfan:  "Any Opinions on the game"
No

SixtiesKid (Galway) - 29/11/2017 18:40:18    2064055

Link

Mellows to cause upset of year. Really well prepared. Good luck to them. Tall order but they can do it!!

thecut (Galway) - 29/11/2017 19:06:31    2064056

Link

Replying To thecut:  "Mellows to cause upset of year. Really well prepared. Good luck to them. Tall order but they can do it!!"
More like upset of the decade I'd say. Not indeed that Gort are any great shakes but I'd expect them to win this.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - 29/11/2017 20:42:08    2064062

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "More like upset of the decade I'd say. Not indeed that Gort are any great shakes but I'd expect them to win this."
Gort might be strong favourites however Mellows have a lot of young players who are on the up and will relish the opportunity to win a county final.

My fear is Gort s forwards if they get a run on the mellows backs they will score goals. Mellows will need to put someone on A Heart and literally stick to him for the game. Lally is another player that mellows must keep quiet. Then mellows will need a goal or 2 can Aonghus Callahan over come his injury problems ?

heartbroken (Galway) - 30/11/2017 07:12:59    2064073

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "More like upset of the decade I'd say. Not indeed that Gort are any great shakes but I'd expect them to win this."
If Gort are 'no great shakes', and I agree that they're average enough, I wonder would it be the shock of the decade if they got turned over? Looking at the semis, the Mellows game plan should be to man mark Harte carefully. If they do that well, the rest could take care of itself?

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - 30/11/2017 09:56:11    2064087

Link

Gort by 5 points. They're the best and most consistent team I've seen all year. That said I have not seen Mellows. If Mellows can come up with some way of containing Aidan Harte then they can stay competitive. I just think Gort have too much quality all over the pitch.

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - 30/11/2017 11:54:46    2064103

Link

Hard to see mellows causing an upset. Gort are probably the best team in what has, lets be honest, a poor championship. Gort have been there before and although they know very little about this mellows team I think they will have too much for them.

fearruanua (Galway) - 01/12/2017 09:28:46    2064188

Link

Replying To VictorMeldrew:  "Gort by 5 points. They're the best and most consistent team I've seen all year. That said I have not seen Mellows. If Mellows can come up with some way of containing Aidan Harte then they can stay competitive. I just think Gort have too much quality all over the pitch."
Mellows by 2 points, the city is buzzing green and white everywhere . Mellows seem to have through social media got the city foke interested so I expect a large support on Sunday. The proposed march from seapoint to the stadium for the fans is a fantastic idea

heartbroken (Galway) - 01/12/2017 17:24:17    2064235

Link

Serious crowd serious buzz here in the stadium

thecut (Galway) - 03/12/2017 14:00:20    2064310

Link

What a game what a win!!! Really happy for Collins and the years of service to Galway hurting. Mellows will be a serious force in years to come investing heavily in schools with a full time coach from the club coaching the kids. Serious Christmas in the city this year!!!

thecut (Galway) - 03/12/2017 15:47:05    2064322

Link

Replying To thecut:  "Serious crowd serious buzz here in the stadium"
What a year can never be heartbroken again. As they say in the city """UP OUR SIDE'"

heartbroken (Galway) - 03/12/2017 16:45:15    2064327

Link

Good game,well done Liam mellows,delighted for you!!

nohandpass (Galway) - 03/12/2017 17:38:11    2064333

Link

Replying To thecut:  "Serious crowd serious buzz here in the stadium"
Bigger crowd than expected and well done ground's man pitch was excellent for December!!

nohandpass (Galway) - 03/12/2017 17:43:18    2064334

Link

Well done Mellows. Did not see this one coming. Delighted to see a new team win that has great experience but also some great young talent. Hope they wont get too cocky though. Since when is Conor Kavanagh playing with Mellows?? Very unusual have to say to have a transfer like that.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - 04/12/2017 13:02:36    2064379

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Well done Mellows. Did not see this one coming. Delighted to see a new team win that has great experience but also some great young talent. Hope they wont get too cocky though. Since when is Conor Kavanagh playing with Mellows?? Very unusual have to say to have a transfer like that."
Not unusual at all. Salthill have been fielding galacticos for 30 years or more in football, and obviously are a tad handier than Turlough at the paperwork side of it! Mellows are ideally placed geographically to pick up some 'outsiders', being city based, and will no doubt need any additional help they can get for the Cuala test. Good stream of young talent nurtured in Mellows recently, and hopefully the early success won't go to their heads now, and they'll be back for more & more.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - 04/12/2017 15:18:36    2064391

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Not unusual at all. Salthill have been fielding galacticos for 30 years or more in football, and obviously are a tad handier than Turlough at the paperwork side of it! Mellows are ideally placed geographically to pick up some 'outsiders', being city based, and will no doubt need any additional help they can get for the Cuala test. Good stream of young talent nurtured in Mellows recently, and hopefully the early success won't go to their heads now, and they'll be back for more & more."
Football is a different sport. This is a hurling thread. It is unusual for a good hurler to transfer to another club within County Galway. He would probably be top 3 hurlers in Kinvara, and for a great club like that to lose a good player is highly unusual. Many players transfer within Galway and play junior hurling but not many (I cant think of any) transfer and play senior within the county. Kinvara will never get back up if they lose their best. But in fairness he has a county medal now so fair play to him.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - 04/12/2017 17:26:13    2064399

Link

This is a very shallow victory for Mellows in my eyes given they have won the cup with mercenaries from other clubs to achieve their tainted county title.

You wouldnt see clubs like Castlegar, Sarsfields or Carnmore - clubs with real tradition and heritage importing players who's skills were honed in other clubs.

From there high stools in Woodquay this week Mellows fans will tell you the end justifies the means but like Salthill's success in the football a few years ago this title is tainted in my eyes.

Whats wrong with winning titles with yer own people instead of raiding other clubs?

DaveDangleberry (Galway) - 05/12/2017 20:32:42    2064504

Link

Was one of them Mellows goals a square ball,,,, worth having a look at again.... every team is entitled to fair play,,,,, officated at a fair few games myself ,,,,, fair play is very important,,,,,,,maybe not , just checking,,,,,,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - 06/12/2017 01:17:06    2064517

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Was one of them Mellows goals a square ball,,,, worth having a look at again.... every team is entitled to fair play,,,,, officated at a fair few games myself ,,,,, fair play is very important,,,,,,,maybe not , just checking,,,,,,,,,,"
Haran must have carried that ball from his own square, before he stuck it! Could Gort have utilised a bit more blanket defense at times, I wonder? Also puzzling why they started Harte in an advanced position, when the semis showed that you'll get way more out of him from a deeper position, way more offensive threat even. Harte is Harte, he is not Joe Canning.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - 06/12/2017 10:17:44    2064525

Link