Tyrone Forum

Tyrone 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

I know it's early but how do you think Tyrone will get on next year?
Monaghan tough first round.
League predictions?
New players who could make an impact?

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - 21/11/2017 20:10:03    2063216

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "I know it's early but how do you think Tyrone will get on next year?
Monaghan tough first round.
League predictions?
New players who could make an impact?"
Much the same as last year to be honest, look a level above in Ulster.

Won't beat Dublin, Kerry or Mayo.

Could do well in the league, but as we know, it's become something of a faux progress indicator in recent years.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - 22/11/2017 10:24:23    2063250

Link

We definitely have the players to compete, I actually think we have enough quality to beat the Dublins, Kerrys and Mayos of this world, but it really just depends on what attitude we take and what lessons have been learned over the past year.

Unfortunately with what we have seen with the current management team it looks like more of the same. We will no doubt play the same style, make the same mistakes and suffer the same consequences and then this time next year we will be repeating ourselves and going over old ground again.

In terms of new members to the panel, I actually don't think we are far away with the current line up we have. I definitely think that Declan McClure needs a permanent start in midfield as he was exceptional in every game he played this year and we need a strong midfield presence to compete in the modern game.

Mickey also needs to back one of his star forwards and stick with him, whether that be McCurry, O'Neill, Brennan, Mulgrew or McAliskey. No more of the chopping and changing. These players strive on confidence and if the manager shows none in them or changes his mind every fortnight then we are never going to get the best out of them come the business end of the championship.

Wally (Tyrone) - 22/11/2017 14:47:02    2063277

Link

Replying To Wally:  "We definitely have the players to compete, I actually think we have enough quality to beat the Dublins, Kerrys and Mayos of this world, but it really just depends on what attitude we take and what lessons have been learned over the past year.

Unfortunately with what we have seen with the current management team it looks like more of the same. We will no doubt play the same style, make the same mistakes and suffer the same consequences and then this time next year we will be repeating ourselves and going over old ground again.

In terms of new members to the panel, I actually don't think we are far away with the current line up we have. I definitely think that Declan McClure needs a permanent start in midfield as he was exceptional in every game he played this year and we need a strong midfield presence to compete in the modern game.

Mickey also needs to back one of his star forwards and stick with him, whether that be McCurry, O'Neill, Brennan, Mulgrew or McAliskey. No more of the chopping and changing. These players strive on confidence and if the manager shows none in them or changes his mind every fortnight then we are never going to get the best out of them come the business end of the championship."
Agree about McClure. Has all the attributes to be a great player. Should be a starter next year.
Agree about chopping and changing the forward. Stick with the two best you have, get them confidence etc. Personally I'd go for Bradley and McAliskey.
Where you and I have butted heads in the past is the system or whatever you want call it. I think if we played Dublin or Mayo 15 against 15 we would get hammered. Dublin especially have better players (who would start from Tyrone for Dublin?). Everyone would love 15 on 15 and the final score to be 2-20 to 2-19 and every point to be scored from 45m out and no sledging etc. But sport doesn't work like that. You have to even things up. We have the best sweeper in the country. Keep Colm where he is. Now we need the system tweaked obviously, we were hammered last year. But I wouldn't radically overhaul the current system we have. No need for a second sweeper. Maybe bring in Canavan or stevie O'Neill to help with the forwards.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - 23/11/2017 14:59:20    2063379

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Agree about McClure. Has all the attributes to be a great player. Should be a starter next year.
Agree about chopping and changing the forward. Stick with the two best you have, get them confidence etc. Personally I'd go for Bradley and McAliskey.
Where you and I have butted heads in the past is the system or whatever you want call it. I think if we played Dublin or Mayo 15 against 15 we would get hammered. Dublin especially have better players (who would start from Tyrone for Dublin?). Everyone would love 15 on 15 and the final score to be 2-20 to 2-19 and every point to be scored from 45m out and no sledging etc. But sport doesn't work like that. You have to even things up. We have the best sweeper in the country. Keep Colm where he is. Now we need the system tweaked obviously, we were hammered last year. But I wouldn't radically overhaul the current system we have. No need for a second sweeper. Maybe bring in Canavan or stevie O'Neill to help with the forwards."
Sorry but I just don't agree with you regarding our players. Yes we don't have as good of players as Dublin but nobody does at the moment. But we definately are not as far away from them as the semi final display would make you believe.

I would argue that we have as good of footballers as Mayo though and they should have beaten Dublin in 3 All Ireland Finals over the past two years.

The difference between us and Mayo is that when they play one of the other top teams they actually go out and attack the game and try to beat them. They match their intensity and equal their risk in the counter attack.

I never said that we should revert back to 15 vrs 15, but we can't keep going they way we are because it is getting us nowhere in our ultimate ambition of winning another All Ireland. It was soul destroying watching a team of very talented players in last years semi final look absolutely clueless when their initial game plan wasn't working. These guys should be instinctive, not looking blankly to the sideline when things are not working out. In that game we were losing by 10 points in the second half yet we still had 12-13 men behind the ball. It is total madness.

Attack the game and take them on and don't worry that their jersey says Dublin or Mayo or Kerry. Take a leaf out of our team of the noughties and show absolutely no respect to the opposing team.

Next year we will still set up with men behind the ball and play a defensive/counter attacking game but we have to trust our players to the last. This has to be the case regardless of who we are playing, and if things are not working out then we need to let the players know that they can revert to plan B or they should know this instinctively.

Again I think this is stemming from our managements philosophy and not from a lack of quality available to us.

Wally (Tyrone) - 30/11/2017 09:43:00    2064084

Link

Replying To Wally:  "Sorry but I just don't agree with you regarding our players. Yes we don't have as good of players as Dublin but nobody does at the moment. But we definately are not as far away from them as the semi final display would make you believe.

I would argue that we have as good of footballers as Mayo though and they should have beaten Dublin in 3 All Ireland Finals over the past two years.

The difference between us and Mayo is that when they play one of the other top teams they actually go out and attack the game and try to beat them. They match their intensity and equal their risk in the counter attack.

I never said that we should revert back to 15 vrs 15, but we can't keep going they way we are because it is getting us nowhere in our ultimate ambition of winning another All Ireland. It was soul destroying watching a team of very talented players in last years semi final look absolutely clueless when their initial game plan wasn't working. These guys should be instinctive, not looking blankly to the sideline when things are not working out. In that game we were losing by 10 points in the second half yet we still had 12-13 men behind the ball. It is total madness.

Attack the game and take them on and don't worry that their jersey says Dublin or Mayo or Kerry. Take a leaf out of our team of the noughties and show absolutely no respect to the opposing team.

Next year we will still set up with men behind the ball and play a defensive/counter attacking game but we have to trust our players to the last. This has to be the case regardless of who we are playing, and if things are not working out then we need to let the players know that they can revert to plan B or they should know this instinctively.

Again I think this is stemming from our managements philosophy and not from a lack of quality available to us."
Look we disagree and we will see how we get on next year.
I feel we are the 4th best team. Miles behind Dublin. Mayo have beaten us consistently in championship and league and Kerry have won the last 3/4 minor titles so they are going to improve.
I don't feel MH is naive enough to go out and play like last year against Dublin. He is a smart manager and will tweak his system. I see Stevie O'Neill has joined the back room team which is an excellent appointment. Players are a year older and a few new additions will help.
Looking forward to next year and hopefully we will kick on.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - 30/11/2017 20:06:14    2064166

Link