Westmeath Forum

Convention

(Oldest Posts First)

I saw recently that the convention is due to take place in Tyrrellspass this year. I hear that there are a lot of changes set to take place, due to the five year rule. Does anyone know who's running for any of the positions?
I do not post here regularly, when I do though I usually just challenge the hurlers on the ditch. Are any the lads who are usually complaining on HS going to put themselves forwards?
Interesting to see if much change comes.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - 20/10/2017 11:43:59    2056512

Link

Replying To Ferrett:  "I saw recently that the convention is due to take place in Tyrrellspass this year. I hear that there are a lot of changes set to take place, due to the five year rule. Does anyone know who's running for any of the positions?
I do not post here regularly, when I do though I usually just challenge the hurlers on the ditch. Are any the lads who are usually complaining on HS going to put themselves forwards?
Interesting to see if much change comes."
watch them rearrange the deck chairs

valley84 (Westmeath) - 21/10/2017 13:41:36    2056789

Link

Annual musical chairs.

ondeball (Westmeath) - 21/10/2017 15:17:03    2056813

Link

Replying To ondeball:  "Annual musical chairs."

jfd (Westmeath) - 21/10/2017 18:30:22    2056851

Link

Now is your chance lads to put yourselves forward .

jfd (Westmeath) - 21/10/2017 18:32:12    2056852

Link

Replying To jfd:  "Now is your chance lads to put yourselves forward ."
Why would anyone put there name forward ? We all know the positions are already filled !! It will be more of the same from the incoming executive/committee.... anyone with new/different ideas that might get in are soon stonewalled and have no choice but toe the line !!

Westmeathgeal (Westmeath) - 21/10/2017 21:40:23    2056887

Link

I disagree I think anyone that runs against them gets voted in in any position.. Nobody willing to do the jobs is the reality

Dote (Westmeath) - 22/10/2017 09:18:39    2056934

Link

I agree with the musical chairs sentiment, that is the reality up until now anyways.
However, I also agree with the last poster, the Co. Board only have a certain amount of votes. The balance of power resides with the clubs. Given the appetite lately, I would even suggest that there would be a protest vote against current board members if anyone wanted to run against them. Would love to see a bit of youth and energy injected into the whole system. All I will say, no one has a right to give out on this next year if they didn't even run themselves.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - 22/10/2017 10:24:49    2056952

Link

Replying To Ferrett:  "I agree with the musical chairs sentiment, that is the reality up until now anyways.
However, I also agree with the last poster, the Co. Board only have a certain amount of votes. The balance of power resides with the clubs. Given the appetite lately, I would even suggest that there would be a protest vote against current board members if anyone wanted to run against them. Would love to see a bit of youth and energy injected into the whole system. All I will say, no one has a right to give out on this next year if they didn't even run themselves."
I agree that we need an injection of youth with fresh ideas and foresight to drive things on...looking at some of the posters on this forum it's easy to see some are involved or very close to those involved and are venting their frustration here, very easy to say everyone is complaining ....so obviously we mustn't be involved !!

Westmeathgeal (Westmeath) - 22/10/2017 12:18:47    2056969

Link

Replying To Westmeathgeal:  "I agree that we need an injection of youth with fresh ideas and foresight to drive things on...looking at some of the posters on this forum it's easy to see some are involved or very close to those involved and are venting their frustration here, very easy to say everyone is complaining ....so obviously we mustn't be involved !!"
A lot of young people up to their eyes with work, mortgages and bills. They don't have spare time to give to these voluntary jobs. I'd love to go for something like this but being on the road from 6-6 up and down to Dublin the thoughts of facing into meetings, about fixtures, transfers, county teams, finances, player development, chasing clubs for insurance, all the while taking guff from club secretaries, no thanks. Hard enough keep the people happy inside my own 4 walls. Everyone here gives out yards about the county board but to be fair most of the jobs are thankless tasks and their doing it because nobody else stands up to the plate

Chops (Westmeath) - 22/10/2017 22:05:43    2057082

Link

how many sponsored cars are given out?
a full time administrator would go a long way.
bring some sort of professionalism to the way things are run.

valley84 (Westmeath) - 22/10/2017 22:41:53    2057090

Link

Most seem to be in agreement that a change would be welcome. Just to clarify, I am in no way affiliated to anyone on the county board, I just realise how much of commitment it is. I've been involved in my club for years, that is hardship alone, I couldn't imagine what a county role would involve. The point I make is that people shouldn't be as quick to berate the Co. board as they are volunteers at the end of the day.

I think Chops sums it up nicely, it is a huge commitment. Will be interesting to see if anything 'changes'.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - 22/10/2017 23:25:34    2057094

Link

There must be a lot of Lomans men expected to attend the convention if its brought back a week.

maroonkingdom (Westmeath) - 03/12/2017 17:13:08    2064329

Link

Replying To maroonkingdom:  "There must be a lot of Lomans men expected to attend the convention if its brought back a week."
Out of respect think this was the right decision to put convention back a week as a lot of people will want to go to portlaoise to the final , Also some of the Lomans club committee running for places on county board as well .
I hear there is 7 on top table stepping down after 5 year rule .

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - 04/12/2017 11:53:09    2064372

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "Out of respect think this was the right decision to put convention back a week as a lot of people will want to go to portlaoise to the final , Also some of the Lomans club committee running for places on county board as well .
I hear there is 7 on top table stepping down after 5 year rule ."
Stepping down from current position and into another you mean!

Meridian (Westmeath) - 04/12/2017 13:58:11    2064381

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "Stepping down from current position and into another you mean!"
funny. was going to post the same thing. it would be terrible to hand back the new cars. who drives the new kit vans?
I hope someone has spoken to the county council about the plans for the new sports centre in Robinstown.
two GAA pitches would almost be enough for a county training centre.

if IT Tralee can get a grant for pitches then surely Westmeath Co Co can draw down some funding?

valley84 (Westmeath) - 04/12/2017 17:50:37    2064402

Link

Whats county board going to do now. Convention changed to the 17th of dec. Now lomans match reschuled for 17th too

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - 10/12/2017 09:47:40    2064766

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "Whats county board going to do now. Convention changed to the 17th of dec. Now lomans match reschuled for 17th too"
Convention is the 16th

Moorehead (Westmeath) - 10/12/2017 16:27:33    2064782

Link

2 hurling men filling the 2 big roles at county level? Should the football side of the house be concerned? 1 hurling and 1 football head would be better all round. Beggers cant be choosers I suppose seeing as nobody else is running.

Boarderboy (Meath) - 13/12/2017 09:27:38    2065067

Link

Replying To Boarderboy:  "2 hurling men filling the 2 big roles at county level? Should the football side of the house be concerned? 1 hurling and 1 football head would be better all round. Beggers cant be choosers I suppose seeing as nobody else is running."
I cant see how it will make any difference to our prospects of success.

Meridian (Westmeath) - 13/12/2017 15:34:57    2065103

Link