Wicklow Forum

Fresh Faces for the County Senior Team!!!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Rebuilding or whatever you want to call it, Wicklow shouldn't be getting bet by Leitrim by 11 points......Disgraceful

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 111 - 25/03/2018 17:39:46    2087781

Link

So Evans was half right. Ye drew two. Pat Mustard was 100% right. The whole thing from a few years ago was built on sand lads and quick fixes. Before any Carlow lads 'excuse' me - yer county board, if not the players, deserve it.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 423 - 25/03/2018 18:11:55    2087802

Link

Look folks let's be honest here, we simply do not have the players !! For far too long the underage structures have been neglected, club competitions have been run into the ground, discipline issues have never been addressed and over time it has led to our club playing standards disimproving year after year. There's no quick fix and people no doubt will come on here and call for Evans head but you need to get real, houdini wouldn't turn things around for us I'm a short time frame.
Evans has gone into counties with similar problems and he's turned them around so give the man time but we also need to stand up to the county board and heads should roll !!!!!!

Whocares (Wicklow) - Posts: 229 - 25/03/2018 18:45:39    2087834

Link

Well there you are folks. Tonight we officially finished bottom of Division 4. I've never seen this before in my time and I'm absolutely sick over it. I know it was said previously that Houdini wouldn't fix the team but my god to finish a campaign bottom of the pile. Our county board and senior management I hope ye are already trying to solve this mess and get some sort of a team ready for championship.

kodak13 (Wicklow) - Posts: 49 - 25/03/2018 21:34:11    2087973

Link

Replying To kodak13:  "Well there you are folks. Tonight we officially finished bottom of Division 4. I've never seen this before in my time and I'm absolutely sick over it. I know it was said previously that Houdini wouldn't fix the team but my god to finish a campaign bottom of the pile. Our county board and senior management I hope ye are already trying to solve this mess and get some sort of a team ready for championship."
Last year ?? Joint with London??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 34 - 25/03/2018 22:49:45    2088029

Link

Didnt we finish rock bottom 2 years ago as well but at least then we won a game. Evans target was 3 wins he said.

Hopeless is what this set up is. Said it before we dont have the best players in and a local man would have that or more of them anyway. Not only did we not win a game but this must be a record we never even got a single goal!!!! In a whole league.not one goal!!

And then the worst thing is Jim Staff is the best man we have and he at37.

I said it years ago when micko was here that that money was spent on the wrong team and all that was wasted when it should have been spent on juveniles Now weve nothing and going wrong direction in hurling and football. We really would be better off now pulling out of senior football now for 5 years and put it all into underage teams and then go back in in 5 years when we might have some hope. Beacise were just wasting our time now and bringing another man up from kerry for 5 sessions a week or whatever and matches is just wasted.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 303 - 25/03/2018 23:02:20    2088035

Link

Pat mustard do you think the problem is solely the management ?
Who would be your internal man to lead wicklow ?

Whocares (Wicklow) - Posts: 229 - 26/03/2018 09:20:49    2088114

Link

Replying To Whocares:  "Pat mustard do you think the problem is solely the management ?
Who would be your internal man to lead wicklow ?"
I tell you again what I think. I think the players are in the county to get a lot better results than we are now. I think a local man would get more of them out.

I said the names before. Paul garrigan Gail Dunne Harry or John Murphy even.

However I never said management is the problem entirely. Its much deeper than that for reasons everyone here knows and no point going on here again lack of development at underage by majority of clubs. Thats the biggest problem no matter who The manager is.

My point is whats the point in spending more money when a. The players arent in the county to do anything like get out of div 4 and b they wont play for Evans anyway and instead were now left with a group of players playing that will never be good enough and fair play to them for playing but this is hopeless.

No fault of Evans any of this hes just here at the wrong time. No manager will get us out of div 4 but a local one might get some pride back. Rathnew bet st Vincent remember.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 303 - 26/03/2018 11:25:53    2088199

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "I tell you again what I think. I think the players are in the county to get a lot better results than we are now. I think a local man would get more of them out.

However I never said management is the problem entirely. Its much deeper than that for reasons everyone here knows and no point going on here again lack of development at underage by majority of clubs. Thats the biggest problem no matter who The manager is.

My point is whats the point in spending more money when a. The players arent in the county to do anything like get out of div 4 and b they wont play for Evans anyway and instead were now left with a group of players playing that will never be good enough and fair play to them for playing but this is hopeless.

No fault of Evans any of this hes just here at the wrong time. No manager will get us out of div 4 but a local one might get some pride back. Rathnew bet st Vincent remember."
It's hard to disagree with any of the above from Pat. I'm not sure that anybody should run around after any players who have deliberately made themselves unavailable this year though. To my mind, you are either proud to play for your county or you are not. The politics of the thing should never extend to guys who just want to represent their county. Players from Rathnew, Baltinglass and Pats are the only ones who have won senior medals to my mind in recent times and to the best of my knowledge the best players from these clubs made themselves available. If we are to rebuild I think there is no better person than John Evans to help progress that. A lot of young players have been tried and fair play to them for lining out. It will be interesting to see what team will take the field against Offaly. Derry in Div 4 next year ?? Another mountain to climb. Doesn't get any easier, does it ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 34 - 26/03/2018 19:47:28    2088449

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "I tell you again what I think. I think the players are in the county to get a lot better results than we are now. I think a local man would get more of them out.

No fault of Evans any of this hes just here at the wrong time. No manager will get us out of div 4 but a local one might get some pride back. Rathnew bet st Vincent remember."
It's hard to disagree with any of the above from Pat. I'm not sure that anybody should run around after any players who have deliberately made themselves unavailable this year though. To my mind, you are either proud to play for your county or you are not. The politics of the thing should never extend to guys who just want to represent their county. Players from Rathnew, Baltinglass and Pats are the only ones who have won senior medals to my mind in recent times and to the best of my knowledge the best players from these clubs made themselves available. If we are to rebuild I think there is no better person than John Evans to help progress that. A lot of young players have been tried and fair play to them for lining out. It will be interesting to see what team will take the field against Offaly. Derry in Div 4 next year ?? Another mountain to climb. Doesn't get any easier, does it ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 34 - 26/03/2018 20:13:39    2088462

Link

Replying To kodak13:  "Well there you are folks. Tonight we officially finished bottom of Division 4. I've never seen this before in my time and I'm absolutely sick over it. I know it was said previously that Houdini wouldn't fix the team but my god to finish a campaign bottom of the pile. Our county board and senior management I hope ye are already trying to solve this mess and get some sort of a team ready for championship."
Might be bottom of the table right now. But this table is disceptive. Not all matches were played in D4 this year. Wicklow's remaining match was against Limerick. Capable of getting two points here but this will not happen now. Was a disappointing league campaign.
Dont know what we want. Had a local man in Murphy. Once team was relegated back to D4, the knives were out. Now a succession of outside managers have failed.
Carlow were rock bottom a few years ago and now look where they are. They did not benefit from a conveyor belt of underage talent. players and belief to succeed. Wicklow has to start from somewhere.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2699 - 26/03/2018 20:41:51    2088477

Link

Shout out to the ladies team. Unbeaten to date and bringing some pride to the county. Hopefully they can go a step further than last year and win division 4. Let's turn all our support to this team to push them that step further!

SupersizeMe (Wicklow) - Posts: 172 - 27/03/2018 15:52:08    2088773

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I think Wicklow are in a similar position to where Carlow were a couple of years ago. For what it's worth I think ye have come on a lot since our O'Byrne cup meeting, ye seemed to run out of steam in the second half and from what I heard it was similar against laois. It will take Evans time to get a system of play going, he has a serious track record"
Congrats to Wicklow I've been telling people all week to back ye, delighted for ye

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1086 - 13/05/2018 18:38:52    2100088

Link

I will put my hand up I had all but given up on this season but fair play to all involved. That's a big step up from league form against a middling division 3 team. Nothing to lose really and great experience to see what the summit looks like. Carlow made dubs work hard and though we are not at their level we are obviously fitter than other years.

townieee (Wicklow) - Posts: 261 - 13/05/2018 19:25:52    2100120

Link