Wicklow Forum

Fresh Faces for the County Senior Team!!!

(Oldest Posts First)

With John Evans now on board I'm expecting him to scout some new faces who haven't been on the county team ever. There are definitely players who are arguably better than players who have played county but have not been called up in the past.
Down below mention some players who you have been really impressed by:
For me, there are a lot of Blessington and Eire Og players who look really strong, fit and good overall players that I've never seen near any county team. There was also no Avondale players on the County team for the past few years apart from Conor McGraynor. Paudie Geoghan and the 3 Bakers surely deserve a call up.

fakehandpass (Wicklow) - 11/09/2017 18:20:57    2045029

Link

Agree with the need for new faces. Kiltegan full back, Blaine Harmon, definitely deserves a shout very physical player. Blessington have a few players that could get the nod, corner back would be a great addition to the squad (bald headed lad unsure of his name). Young Conor Byrne and Cahill from Avondale. Agb have a very young team but could still have 2 or 3 called up for the experience alone. Then you would have the usual stronger experienced players, Dean Healy,Mcgrath, Crowe etc who would benefit from new players around them in training.

Arklife (Wicklow) - 12/09/2017 10:43:56    2045158

Link

Healy needs to be played in his strongest position and it's not midfield !! Thought Crowe was very ordinary Sunday, not County material. Kavanagh looked good at full back. Though the kiltegan no.6 looked really good (don't know his name) surely rathnew need to provide more than 2 players to the panel (or none for the championship !!!) new blood from a few clubs is really needed

Whocares (Wicklow) - 12/09/2017 21:57:56    2045413

Link

I agree, John Crowe did not even stand out at club and you can say that about a lot of former county players. I've seen the full back a lot for Kiltegan and he is very steady and is a huge man. The Blesso corner back 'Goose' as he is called has been a very consistent performer and could definitely do a job for the county team. Conor Byrne and Ryan Cahill are also very impressive, very fast and still very, very young. Yeah there definitely should be more Rathnew players on the panel such as Theo Smith, Jody Merrigan and hopefully we can get Nicky Mernagh back on board as he is one of the best players in the county. I'm hoping to see a lot of young players being called up because to be honest we don't have the players at this moment but there a lot of young players who can become top class. I reckon Avondale should be looked at, they have at least 8 players under the age of 21 on their starting 15.

fakehandpass (Wicklow) - 12/09/2017 22:11:37    2045416

Link

Justa question but how much of an impact do you think the intense rivalry/hatred between wicklow clubs has affected our county team over the years?

Agreed on Kiltegans full back harmon he is a trojan , rathnews jody merrigan has impressed, annacurras gearoid murphy, kilcooles daniel kavanagh
AGB/Avondale have a wealth of young talent so why not tap into it?

Hopefully a fresh crop of new faces will breathe some life into the team, heres hoping!

Roadhog (Wicklow) - 13/09/2017 00:24:25    2045477

Link

Hopefully a nice blend of youth and experience but one thing is sure they will all need to play off both sides and have bags of pace and stamina

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - 15/09/2017 23:34:10    2046363

Link

I find it very funny, we need to find new faces what has been going on the last 3 years? Over 30 league debuts & over 20 championship debuts. As for John Crowe not playing well the other day & not being up to county standard. If my memory is correct was he not one of our better players against Louth & Laois? Out of the debuts for league & championship over the last 3 years at least 15 have come from our minor & u21 teams. Are people on here blind to see what was trying to be done by our previous management

Wicklowfan1 (Wicklow) - 16/09/2017 14:42:56    2046442

Link

Replying To Wicklowfan1:  "I find it very funny, we need to find new faces what has been going on the last 3 years? Over 30 league debuts & over 20 championship debuts. As for John Crowe not playing well the other day & not being up to county standard. If my memory is correct was he not one of our better players against Louth & Laois? Out of the debuts for league & championship over the last 3 years at least 15 have come from our minor & u21 teams. Are people on here blind to see what was trying to be done by our previous management"
Thats the way of county management.

If you don't get results you are gone. Does not matter what you were trying to do if you don't succeed thats it. So enough of living in the past. Lets take this fresh start and hope we can actually achieve.
Don't think for one minute about the championship. We need to get promotion out of div 4 in the next 2 years. If we don't then Evans will be in trouble to keep his job.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - 16/09/2017 21:52:49    2046540

Link

I've been told that John Evan has been contacting prospective players this week. Some good young players called up, encouraging signs.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - 21/09/2017 09:33:48    2048884

Link

has he decided on his selectors yet?

ww14 (Wicklow) - 21/09/2017 12:54:33    2048973

Link

Replying To ww14:  "has he decided on his selectors yet?"
I believe he has but I don't think they have been ratified.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - 21/09/2017 14:00:27    2049009

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "I've been told that John Evan has been contacting prospective players this week. Some good young players called up, encouraging signs."
Leighton Glynn should really be brought back into the fold. Savage experience and still worth his place on most county teams. Great player for new players to learn from. I think the likes of Tony Hannon should be brought in to the coaching set up as I think he would add something. Some players that have been on the county panel for the last 2/3 years should be nowhere near any county panel. Guys starting in the forward line that would not be in the top 10 in the county in that position. And that's being generous. The right players need to make themselves available. Clubs need to help and the county board also needs to help clubs. They are the grassroots

Gardenman99 (Wicklow) - 22/09/2017 00:49:16    2049221

Link

Replying To Gardenman99:  "Leighton Glynn should really be brought back into the fold. Savage experience and still worth his place on most county teams. Great player for new players to learn from. I think the likes of Tony Hannon should be brought in to the coaching set up as I think he would add something. Some players that have been on the county panel for the last 2/3 years should be nowhere near any county panel. Guys starting in the forward line that would not be in the top 10 in the county in that position. And that's being generous. The right players need to make themselves available. Clubs need to help and the county board also needs to help clubs. They are the grassroots"
very true gardenman.
unfortunately in Wicklow clubs look after their
players better than the county board.
it's going to be a big job to get pride back in playing for Wicklow.
let's be optimistic the new man can do it.
my feeling is that the Wicklow hurlers have more pride than the footballers at this time.
why because the play at there own level.

Namstap (Wicklow) - 22/09/2017 14:10:32    2049347

Link

I look forward to hearing who the selectors are that will work alongside John Evans. I struggle to work out why there are so few past players involved with teams in Wicklow compared with some other counties but I do understand that maybe it is a personal choice due to the time commitment. Also ,the problem as I see it in recent years and the reason that there are players playing for the county team is down to some of the lesser talented willing to put in the effort and commitment while some of the more talented players are not so willing and want to stick with their clubs or go to America and play for the summer; hopefully this will change under John Evans and that the best players will come on board. It is imperative that the best players are on board in Wicklow as we don't have as wide a pool of talent as other counties do. Interesting times ahead and hopefully if we can get off to a good start in the new year; it will encourage other people to jump on the player bandwagon.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - 22/09/2017 16:46:02    2049396

Link

Some younger players I think John Evans should look at is Conor Byrne and Saoirse Keiron Avondale, Justin O Brien Eire Og, Mark Jackson Balto (never really got a chance last year probably due to his exams) and also think he should try get Patrick O Connor from Blessington back on board.

Is it confirmed that Glynn will be selector, it would be a good appointment, both the older and younger lads on the team respect him and having him on board would get rathnew onside, something Magee never had.

WW9 (Wicklow) - 24/09/2017 17:36:41    2049924

Link

Who's the big midfielder for Blessington? Absolute man mountain in the midfield and also was nifty scoring a few points. Yeah I agree Saoirse Kearon was fantastic at full back and is still only 19 years old.

fakehandpass (Wicklow) - 25/09/2017 16:34:39    2050398

Link

Good to see John Evans around Aughrim the last few weeks, hopefully his put together a strong panel, really looking forward to the new year

WW9 (Wicklow) - 16/10/2017 11:43:43    2055540

Link

Great to see James Stafford back for the county team. Rathnew have been very impressive during the Leinster championship so I'm sure a few more from that team stalked their claim too. Let's hope all clubs pull together so we put out the strongest possible team for the upcoming national league.

garden_rebel (Wicklow) - 28/11/2017 22:41:17    2063945

Link