Fermanagh Forum

2019 Dr McKenna Cup

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Ruairi Corrigan is back in the panel but injured at the moment. Think Courtney & Eoin Mac should be considered for a return even if they did walk away last year. By the looks of things we have a dearth of forward talent and it is hard to see where the scores are going to come from in the National League. Young McGurren is an exciting prospect but still very inexperienced at this level. Probably still lacking a bit in confidence when you consider the two frees he missed after half time. In fairnes he did stick the pebalty away in some style after that.

thewayiseeit (UK) - Posts: 41 - 09/01/2019 13:53:08    2156248

Link

Result:
Wednesday 9th January 2019
Dr McKenna Cup, - Section C - Round 3
Tyrone 0-10 Fermanagh 0-4

Fermanagh starting team: Thomas Treacy, Jonny Cassidy, Cian McManus, Kane Connor (0-1), Ukltan Kelm, James McMahon, Lee Cullen, Thomas Clarke, Ryan Jones, Aidan Breen (0-1), Kevin McDonnell, Daniel Teague, Ciaran Corrigan, Conall Jones (0-1 and B/C), Conor McGee.
Substitutes: Ryan Lyons for Daniel Teague, Garvan Jones (0-1) for Kevin McDonnell. Darragh McGurn for Tom Clarke, Ciaran Flaherty for Conor McGee, Shane McGullion for James McMahon.

Other Round 3 results:
Donegal 1-20 Cavan 1-12
Down 4-18 QUB 1-05
Armagh 0-13 Monaghan 1-09
Antrim 1-14 St Marys 0-09
Derry 1-20 UU 0-07

Sunday's semi-finals will there be:
Donegal v Armagh
Tyrone v Derry

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1155 - 09/01/2019 21:48:41    2156316

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Result:
Wednesday 9th January 2019
Dr McKenna Cup, - Section C - Round 3
Tyrone 0-10 Fermanagh 0-4

Fermanagh starting team: Thomas Treacy, Jonny Cassidy, Cian McManus, Kane Connor (0-1), Ukltan Kelm, James McMahon, Lee Cullen, Thomas Clarke, Ryan Jones, Aidan Breen (0-1), Kevin McDonnell, Daniel Teague, Ciaran Corrigan, Conall Jones (0-1 and B/C), Conor McGee.
Substitutes: Ryan Lyons for Daniel Teague, Garvan Jones (0-1) for Kevin McDonnell. Darragh McGurn for Tom Clarke, Ciaran Flaherty for Conor McGee, Shane McGullion for James McMahon.

Other Round 3 results:
Donegal 1-20 Cavan 1-12
Down 4-18 QUB 1-05
Armagh 0-13 Monaghan 1-09
Antrim 1-14 St Marys 0-09
Derry 1-20 UU 0-07

Sunday's semi-finals will there be:
Donegal v Armagh
Tyrone v Derry"
Anyone down watching the game?

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 41 - 10/01/2019 09:26:54    2156344

Link

TG I didn't go to Omagh last night
I know we are experimenting I know it's early but OMG 4 points over 70 mins
So that's 10 scores 9 scores and 4 scores over the 3 McKenna cup games... scary stuff
I get that we need to experiment and try new people new systems but did anyone see ANY sign of a new attacking plan or system being trialled
I'm worried we will will be defending our way back to div3 this season
I'd not knock McGurn though as how can you have confidence as a young forward in that system .. he kicked immaculately in Derrygonnelly in 1st match but had a few stinkers yesterday .. then again his game is a running game from centre forward not as a target man so he's learning and adjusting fast all the same
But please Rory let's attack .. let's have a plan to score.. let's have a plan b or a structure b when and if we are chasing a game!!

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 158 - 10/01/2019 12:18:06    2156375

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "TG I didn't go to Omagh last night
I know we are experimenting I know it's early but OMG 4 points over 70 mins
So that's 10 scores 9 scores and 4 scores over the 3 McKenna cup games... scary stuff
I get that we need to experiment and try new people new systems but did anyone see ANY sign of a new attacking plan or system being trialled
I'm worried we will will be defending our way back to div3 this season
I'd not knock McGurn though as how can you have confidence as a young forward in that system .. he kicked immaculately in Derrygonnelly in 1st match but had a few stinkers yesterday .. then again his game is a running game from centre forward not as a target man so he's learning and adjusting fast all the same
But please Rory let's attack .. let's have a plan to score.. let's have a plan b or a structure b when and if we are chasing a game!!"
It says it all when you admit you didn't even go to the game but yet you jump to judgement on basis of what was obviously a second hand account. There is no hiding the fact that it wasn't pretty and was hard to watch at times but I think what the management were trying to do after the shambolic defending we witnessed on Sunday versus Derry was to get back to basics in terms of that. Re establish the structure and work ethic that we were good at last year and then try to build on that. If that was their objective, then last night went a long way towards achieving that. The much vaunted Tyrone took 22 mins to break us down and then only after a free. Yes second half they had more success as bodies tired but they only kicked 4 points from play over the 70mins and one of those was when we were down to 13 men. We would all love to see expansive flowing forward play but unfortunately the personel we have at our disposal at the minute because of the amount of absentees through injury etc simply does not allow us that luxury. I thought Conal Jones put in a great shift up front last and Ryan was much improved from Sunday and really took the game to Tyrone on numerous ocassions as he broke the line. Further back Kane Connor was very industrious and got forward for a point, Lee Cullen really didn't put a foot wrong while McMahon showed signs of getting up to speed again after injury. Division 2 is going to be very tough and we know we are lacking in scoring forwards so without being defeatist we'll have to make the best of it. Those new forwards like McGurn will have to learn quickly if they are to maintain their place.

thewayiseeit (UK) - Posts: 41 - 10/01/2019 13:08:21    2156382

Link

As a Tir Chonaill Gael, De ja vu reading some of the previous posts over the last few weeks.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 409 - 10/01/2019 16:05:19    2156409

Link

I wasn't at the game last night as I seen going as a pointless exercise given the expected outcome of the game. However, I was at the Ferm v Derry game and was't at all impressed by our lads but it is still early days of the season and hopefully the main team players are all back together to give Fermanagh a decent run in the NFL. I agree with the manager that the rules changes are causing confusion for players and I'm not sure if these changes are necessarily warranted or indeed will improve the run of the game.
My second point is above these so called football experts like, thewayiseeit. kesh gfc, macca, etc all of whom probably never managed a team in their life, yet they are giving out above management and evaluating seasoned and new players as if they knew better than the manager or his assistant. Some of these posters reminds me about a posting on here a few years back from the so called chief mummer near my parts who wouldn't know whether a ball was pumped or stuffed...and I think that about sums up the some of the poster referred to!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 942 - 10/01/2019 16:45:07    2156414

Link

Replying To thewayiseeit:  "Ruairi Corrigan is back in the panel but injured at the moment. Think Courtney & Eoin Mac should be considered for a return even if they did walk away last year. By the looks of things we have a dearth of forward talent and it is hard to see where the scores are going to come from in the National League. Young McGurren is an exciting prospect but still very inexperienced at this level. Probably still lacking a bit in confidence when you consider the two frees he missed after half time. In fairnes he did stick the pebalty away in some style after that."
Id agree regarding Eddie Courtney,especially given the obvious lack of scoring options we currently have.

This Cork game is going to be huge! Lets hope Sean Quigley, the McCuskers and few other are fit for it.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 855 - 10/01/2019 22:53:02    2156504

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "I wasn't at the game last night as I seen going as a pointless exercise given the expected outcome of the game. However, I was at the Ferm v Derry game and was't at all impressed by our lads but it is still early days of the season and hopefully the main team players are all back together to give Fermanagh a decent run in the NFL. I agree with the manager that the rules changes are causing confusion for players and I'm not sure if these changes are necessarily warranted or indeed will improve the run of the game.
My second point is above these so called football experts like, thewayiseeit. kesh gfc, macca, etc all of whom probably never managed a team in their life, yet they are giving out above management and evaluating seasoned and new players as if they knew better than the manager or his assistant. Some of these posters reminds me about a posting on here a few years back from the so called chief mummer near my parts who wouldn't know whether a ball was pumped or stuffed...and I think that about sums up the some of the poster referred to!"
Very inciteful cill naile so it's the rules then .. that's the problem
Tell me also what player I criticised exactly ?
Tell me also where I'm mistaken in my analysis of our attacking strategy .. actually tell me what our attacking strategy is
FYI i have managed for years and continue to do so after a long playing career .. I don't have all the answers and I'm probably off the mark a lot .. but I never sit on the fence
So let's have some analysis Cill .. we are all only chatting here and I think to vent after what we've produced after 3 games is understandable .. look back on our last 5 competitive games for that matter and show me how we plan to outscore anybody ? I don't see it ..

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 158 - 11/01/2019 15:39:19    2156619

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Very inciteful cill naile so it's the rules then .. that's the problem
Tell me also where I'm mistaken in my analysis of our attacking strategy .. actually tell me what our attacking strategy is
FYI i have managed for years and continue to do so after a long playing career .. I don't have all the answers and I'm probably off the mark a lot .. but I never sit on the fence
So let's have some analysis Cill .. we are all only chatting here and I think to vent after what we've produced after 3 games is understandable .. look back on our last 5 competitive games for that matter and show me how we plan to outscore anybody ? I don't see it .."
Well if you cannot interpret your own waffling analysis then that says enough about you. I prefer to have a rational debate with those that understand county level football.
Also, using Kesh GFC username, where no such club exists at that village. illustrates your lack of transparency but for me I'm proud to say were I'm from hence my username!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 942 - 11/01/2019 18:30:42    2156647

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "I wasn't at the game last night as I seen going as a pointless exercise given the expected outcome of the game. However, I was at the Ferm v Derry game and was't at all impressed by our lads but it is still early days of the season and hopefully the main team players are all back together to give Fermanagh a decent run in the NFL. I agree with the manager that the rules changes are causing confusion for players and I'm not sure if these changes are necessarily warranted or indeed will improve the run of the game.
My second point is above these so called football experts like, thewayiseeit. kesh gfc, macca, etc all of whom probably never managed a team in their life, yet they are giving out above management and evaluating seasoned and new players as if they knew better than the manager or his assistant. Some of these posters reminds me about a posting on here a few years back from the so called chief mummer near my parts who wouldn't know whether a ball was pumped or stuffed...and I think that about sums up the some of the poster referred to!"
Cillnaile, you obviously can't read as nowhere in my previous post did I criticise either management or players . For your information I have played at all levels for the county and managed numerous teams within my club so I do know whether it is pumped or stuffed. Your opening line "I wasn't at the game last night as I seen it as a pointless exercise" tells us all we need to know about what kind of fair weather supporter you are

thewayiseeit (UK) - Posts: 41 - 11/01/2019 18:55:05    2156650

Link

Thought Treacy, Ryan jones, James McManhon, Ciaran Corrigan, Conor McGee and Conall Jones all had a good game vs Tyrone.

I am all for having a defensive structure but there has to be a bit of a balance for a counter attack. At times we had our whole team in our own half or we left 1 in the full forward line against 3 of their defenders. You are asking a lot of any forward to win the ball in the 1st place let alone beat the 3 defenders. In my opinion the full forward line must stay up front and atleast one of the half forwards preferably 2. I would be ok with useing 2/3 of the half forwards to helpout the defence and mid depending on what system being used.

These are the games I would being hopeing to get points in league againist Clare, Armagh, Meath, Cork and Tipperary.

If I had to pick my starting 15 right now this would be mine, I know so of these player are unavailable right now but hope they will be back for the league.

GK. Treacy

Full back line. Lee Cullen, Che Cullen, Tiarnan Daly

Half back line. Declan McCusker, James McMahon, Aidan Breen

Mid. Ryan Jones, Eoin Donnelly

Half forward line. Garvan Jones, Conall Jones, Paul McCusker

Full forward line. Darragh McGurn, Sean Quilgeys, Tomas Corrigan

Bench. Ciaran Corrigan, Barry Mulrone, Richard O'Callaghan, Kane Connor, Daniel Teague, Ruairi Corrigan.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 44 - 11/01/2019 20:11:27    2156659

Link

Replying To thewayiseeit:  "Cillnaile, you obviously can't read as nowhere in my previous post did I criticise either management or players . For your information I have played at all levels for the county and managed numerous teams within my club so I do know whether it is pumped or stuffed. Your opening line "I wasn't at the game last night as I seen it as a pointless exercise" tells us all we need to know about what kind of fair weather supporter you are"
With a thewayiseeit (UK) username says more about you and your lack of loyalty to your own county preferring to register as "UK" rather than "Fermanagh".
Managing teams within one's club is a far cry from managing a county team and therein lies the point I referred to in a previous posting. People like you have a narrow perspective because you simply aren't county managers or indeed probably not capable of being in that crucial position either!
As for me not being at the last game was more about trying to get home on time to travel to Omagh which would have left me arriving probably after halftime hence my "pointless exercise" comment combined with the fact Tyrone were odds favourite to win. I viewed the previous Derry game which I attended more of a barometer of our county team performances going forward.
Sorry I rattled so many posters with my honest opinion but I can only state what is the truth,
Bye for now and I will comment again when Fermanagh meet Cork in the NFL in what will be a HUGE game for us.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 942 - 11/01/2019 20:31:04    2156663

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Very inciteful cill naile so it's the rules then .. that's the problem
So let's have some analysis Cill .. we are all only chatting here and I think to vent after what we've produced after 3 games is understandable .. look back on our last 5 competitive games for that matter and show me how we plan to outscore anybody ? I don't see it .."
Any chance of taking a stance on the football yourself there or are you just happy to comment on the comments and the commentators .. you remind me of a man I met many moons ago who had the perfect answer to his non attendance ... he'd say "if they lose then sure just as well I'm not going and if they win I'll go to the next one"
So here's looking forward to your hearing an original opinion on county football from yourself

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 158 - 12/01/2019 00:53:54    2156688

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "With a thewayiseeit (UK) username says more about you and your lack of loyalty to your own county preferring to register as "UK" rather than "Fermanagh".
Managing teams within one's club is a far cry from managing a county team and therein lies the point I referred to in a previous posting. People like you have a narrow perspective because you simply aren't county managers or indeed probably not capable of being in that crucial position either!
As for me not being at the last game was more about trying to get home on time to travel to Omagh which would have left me arriving probably after halftime hence my "pointless exercise" comment combined with the fact Tyrone were odds favourite to win. I viewed the previous Derry game which I attended more of a barometer of our county team performances going forward.
Sorry I rattled so many posters with my honest opinion but I can only state what is the truth,
Bye for now and I will comment again when Fermanagh meet Cork in the NFL in what will be a HUGE game for us."
Cillnnaile if you are going to waffle at least be consistent.... in your post of 10/1 you stated you felt going to the game was a pointless exercise 'given the expected outcome of the game' yet in your latest post you cite some crap about it was more about getting home in time to travel to Omagh, arriving after halftime etc . . . What a load of baloney . . . 'Honest opinion' as you also state . . . You obviously don't know the meaning of the term

thewayiseeit (UK) - Posts: 41 - 13/01/2019 00:33:37    2156797

Link

love having this forum activity back. Would it be a Fermanagh forum without twisting and fighting hahaha.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 41 - 14/01/2019 08:59:37    2156987

Link

Not too late yet lads for New Year Resolutions or do we have to suffer another year of infantile drivel.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 34 - 14/01/2019 09:45:52    2156997

Link