Fermanagh Forum

All Ireland Football Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

All Ireland Football Championship Qualifiers Round Four
Fermanagh now go forward to round four and will meet one of the four winners this weekend of round three which includes Kildare v Mayo, Armagh v Clare, Leitrim v Monaghan and Cavan v Tyrone.

If Fermanagh is successful then here is the All Ireland SFC Quarter final arrangement...
All-Ireland quarter-final group stage
Group One: 1. Munster champions, 2. Connacht champions, 3. Ulster runners-up or qualifier, 4. Leinster runners-up or qualifier.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1221 - 25/06/2018 11:06:02    2114567

Link

So it's a lillywhites pairing for Fermanagh!

SFC Round 4 Qualifier draw:
Kildare v Fermanagh
Laois v Monaghan
Cork v Tyrone
Roscommon v Armagh

The matches will be played next weekend (July 7-8) at neutral venues, with the CCCC to confirm the details this afternoon.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1221 - 02/07/2018 09:10:34    2117512

Link

Draw we wanted, also a draw Kildare wont be annoyed with. I assume today venues and times will be announced?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 02/07/2018 10:25:24    2117559

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "Draw we wanted, also a draw Kildare wont be annoyed with. I assume today venues and times will be announced?"
Is it? Id have taken Tyrone personally.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 264 - 02/07/2018 11:29:28    2117607

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "Is it? Id have taken Tyrone personally."
Hi rum you cannot be serious? Tyrone would eat us alive given their present form. I see the draw with Kildare as a perfect one for Gallagher & co to put their game plan together which will be obviously concentrated on be defensive and Kildare from what I see don't like playing against defensive orientated teams. I would say this is REAL OPPORTUNITY for Fermanagh to get into the quarter finals. Bring it on!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 02/07/2018 13:09:26    2117673

Link

At this stage of competition not going to be any easy games,after the Ulster final either Tyrone or Kildare be tough ask,though nice to avoid Ulster dog fight against Tyrone.
Id have preferred Kildare,although they will be on huge high after win over Mayo and have great spread of scores and ability to score from long range which can be problem in our set-up if go with same as previous.

Navan is decent pitch and suitable travel wise although Fermanagh havnt many fond memories there recently,especially last years league game although Fermanagh have better structure now.

No doubt it be tough to lift players after the defeat in Ulster final but if anyone can lift this bunch its Rory and Ricey plus with super 8 format the opportunity to face Monaghan(croker), Galway(Brewster) and Kerry (Killarney) is there,plus we owe Kildare one for 2008 defeat after Ulster final hangover.

All depends on lads attitudes,will be a tough match against a strong Kildare but if heads up for the battle its game can win.
Id be surprised if isn't a few changes following the Donegal game,(Ruairi and Tomas Corrigan perhaps)
Hopefully all the squad are fit and been training since last week so that full team to pick from for Saturday.

Fermanagh had unbelievable support in Clones,lets hope majority of them come to Navan Saturday evening to help them team try reach the first Super 8s(Kildare will have huge backing so we need to match it and more!!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 867 - 02/07/2018 16:11:05    2117779

Link

Looking forward to meeting ye on saturday and seeing what we have learned from the Carlow game.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 03/07/2018 08:28:37    2117992

Link

i read somewhere that the 18pts fermanagh scored yesterday is their highest scoring tally of 2018 ..kind of ironic that.
I was going to leave the game at half time yesterday but thought I might aswel stay 10mins despite knowing the game was clearly done and dusted...in the end I ended up staying to the end, we kicked 13pts in 35mins thats our scoring average for a game inside 35mins.

Kildare were phenomenal in the first half every time they got the ball it was almost certainly going to result in a score but.....

on a positive note for the 70mins despite kildare pressing man for man we were able to dominate our own kick outs with ease...generally even in the first have we retained possession relatively well despite a few notable turnovers....we were creating scoring opportunities but that's were it all went so horribly wrong. despite kildare being the superior team the game could and should have been more of a contest.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 08/07/2018 12:07:47    2119562

Link

Has Tomas Corrigan started any games between league and championship for Fermanagh this year? was he injured earlier in the year? He came on against Armagh in League final

Fermanagh were taking a lot of poor shots in the first half, himself and Sean Quigley would have done better.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1833 - 08/07/2018 16:19:11    2119649

Link

Replying To abitawit:  "i read somewhere that the 18pts fermanagh scored yesterday is their highest scoring tally of 2018 ..kind of ironic that.
I was going to leave the game at half time yesterday but thought I might aswel stay 10mins despite knowing the game was clearly done and dusted...in the end I ended up staying to the end, we kicked 13pts in 35mins thats our scoring average for a game inside 35mins.

Kildare were phenomenal in the first half every time they got the ball it was almost certainly going to result in a score but.....

on a positive note for the 70mins despite kildare pressing man for man we were able to dominate our own kick outs with ease...generally even in the first have we retained possession relatively well despite a few notable turnovers....we were creating scoring opportunities but that's were it all went so horribly wrong. despite kildare being the superior team the game could and should have been more of a contest."
You read wrong. Hit 1-16 against Derry in the league.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 09/07/2018 12:19:24    2119956

Link

Bit disappointed to go out like that, 2 heavy defeats but was a good year. The second half of the kildare game showed how good we could be at attacking if we tried to play attacking football rather than defensive. I am all for a tight defence but scores win games and we scored 13points in the 2nd half.

Like i said it was a good year promotion from the league and an ulster final. Hopefully we can have another good run next year. Wonder how many will leave the panel and who the new faces will be.

Big well done and thanks to the lads for all the work they have done this year, including the back room staff.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 09/07/2018 15:39:44    2120067

Link

Agree with last post and want to say thanks to all for the year and the enjoyment and pride the team gave us through the league and the championship. It was tough in the last 2 games and there is still a way to go but looking back at the Kildare game they did create a good few chances but the finishing let them down. The attacking options and approach needs focus for Div 2 but that will be a chance to play at a higher level consistently and develop from there - I have no doubt the potential is there to improve - thanks again and hopefully see everyone back in the jersey for the NFL inext year

fearluim (Fermanagh) - Posts: 27 - 10/07/2018 22:51:47    2120578

Link

Monaghan V Tyrone All Ireland semi final.
I hope Fermanagh fans are lending their support to Tyrone, the north's only team left in the championship rather than the freestate's Monaghan team. I think Tyrone has much more talent both on the field and on the bench compared to Monaghan.

Wired2theMoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 11/08/2018 13:31:19    2131730

Link