Dublin Forum

O'Gara v Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First)

I like EOG, he is a flat track bully, ie against a Meath/Kildare/Cork he is very effective
But, V Tyrone he was as useful as wet underpants
Sure he won a lot of ball but he did nothing with it, I'd wager he turned over more ball than the other 5 forwards combined
If we go on to meet Tyrone later in the year, there is no way I would start him
When a team get around him, he lacks the skill or intelligence to get out of it.

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8136 - 17/02/2017 16:14:02    1957764

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "I like EOG, he is a flat track bully, ie against a Meath/Kildare/Cork he is very effective
But, V Tyrone he was as useful as wet underpants
Sure he won a lot of ball but he did nothing with it, I'd wager he turned over more ball than the other 5 forwards combined
If we go on to meet Tyrone later in the year, there is no way I would start him
When a team get around him, he lacks the skill or intelligence to get out of it."
Very unfair to have a negative thread about any one player after Tyrone game , while he's not the finished article by any stretch find he's a scapegoat when it suits , there are players like Bernard that have been crictisim untouchable yet EOG it seems it's been open season since he came on the scene.
The irony is not lost that when he was injured this site never stopped going on how we were missing that bit of target man difference he offered .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 17/02/2017 18:06:32    1957784

Link

Damo its a forum about Dublin GAA. I didnt slander the man or cast aspersions on him as an individual! Calm down on the internet police thing will ya! I have often eulogised about Eoghan on here and rate him very highly in certain circumstances. But, V Tyrone he wasnt able for it atall and the Tyrone lads were lapping it up. If we meet later in the year i would worry a lot if Eoghan starts. I am not accusing the chap of murder ffs Damo!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8136 - 17/02/2017 19:17:55    1957807

Link

A bit harsh he won a lot of ball kicked into him but didn't have the runners to of load to and as a result he got bottled up I though he did ok against Tyrone. We have a lot to thank o'gara for Tyrone '10, turned the '13 final when he came on and kicked the leading point against Kerry last year after making a clever run.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 829 - 18/02/2017 07:35:58    1957863

Link

I watched the Dub Tyrone game and could not understand how O Gara was left on the field for 70mins...it was if Gavin was saying " show us why you did so much moaning about not getting on in the All Ireland Final.." I would be surprised if he starts a game again . He could do a job as a late impact sub when defences are getting tired but for me never a starter..

Sean.66 (Cavan) - Posts: 293 - 18/02/2017 12:06:20    1957893

Link

LiMo why start a topic and get your knickers in a twist when someone disagrees with you, by the way I suggest you read my post I never said you slandered him ,I just feel it's unfair after that display to single out one lad who constantly seems to be marginalised

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 18/02/2017 14:12:34    1957923

Link

I agree with Jackthedub, runners off him would have paid off big time that night.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 18/02/2017 20:11:08    1958026

Link

The only criticism I'd have of O'Gara from that night was that his tackling was a little lazy so he gave away some cheap frees.

It was down to frustration as he didn't have the runners off him when he won the ball. It was a defenders night in fairness.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12682 - 20/02/2017 10:16:25    1958554

Link

He could have a couple of frees himself one near the end in particular where he was caught around the neck from a lazy arm from McCann.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 829 - 20/02/2017 10:42:30    1958570

Link

Replying To jacktheDub:  "He could have a couple of frees himself one near the end in particular where he was caught around the neck from a lazy arm from McCann."
Well .. do we think he can improve enough during the run up to summer .... a good target man might do the trick this year especially against the rugby league type defences we seem to meet regularly .....,

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 61 - 21/02/2017 17:10:26    1959261

Link

Replying To Heffo:  "Well .. do we think he can improve enough during the run up to summer .... a good target man might do the trick this year especially against the rugby league type defences we seem to meet regularly .....,"
It didn't work against that exact style in the Tyrone game.
shoot from distance mixed with direct running like kev Mac is the way to go as you either draw them shooting from between 21 and 45 or else you break the first line with direct running and have men off shoulder or else get fouled

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 21/02/2017 18:07:08    1959287

Link

Replying To Heffo:  "Well .. do we think he can improve enough during the run up to summer .... a good target man might do the trick this year especially against the rugby league type defences we seem to meet regularly .....,"
It's horses for courses , I think of games and defences were costelloe mannion kevin are exactly what we need,you can't have enough variety , realistically if Cian o Callaghan comes on scene and makes expected impact there going to be some. Very disappointed forwards in particular. Was convinced McHugh would have a run out in the league for example

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 21/02/2017 18:14:31    1959291

Link