Dublin Forum

Dublins Greatest Ever Forward

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

connelly a brogan c kilkenny
d farrell b brogan jayo
there is my best 6 forwards since 70s, noone from that era for couple for reasons but the main 2 are pace and speed of feet, hands and brain

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1629 - 10/02/2017 13:26:47    1954365

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "I only go back to the 90s so can't really comment on Jimmy Keveaney, the Panther O'Toole etc.

However in my lifetime our best ever inside forward is without a doubt Bernard Brogan. His record in big games has been sensational and as good as anyone else you could name."
Great chat to warm the body ....The great Jimmy K never needed to wait for Operation Transformation to know how and when to move, ,,a legend
and a gentleman from the auld school.

Ps, Will the boys from Tyrone travel tonite or jog all the way tomorrow ....

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 53 - 10/02/2017 14:58:30    1954417

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "connelly a brogan c kilkenny
d farrell b brogan jayo
there is my best 6 forwards since 70s, noone from that era for couple for reasons but the main 2 are pace and speed of feet, hands and brain"
Interesting,your the only poster who mentioned C Kilkenny apart from myself.I don't think Ciaran is appreciated by many fans from inside and outside Dublin.Many ridiculed his nomination for player of the year last year.

However,those that appreciate the savage graft and selflessness of his play have nothing but total admiration for the man.

And he is only a very young lad.If he remains injury free and fit i can see a true Dublin warrior enjoying a very fruitful career.

Maybe it's the type of player i like.The likes of Flynn,McMahon,McCarthy,McManamen.I love a tough,hard,fair player.Not dirty,but a man you'd want to go to war with.Someone you know will have your back.A selfless player that will always pass a ball rather than shoot if it's the best option.Who will sacrifice himself for the good of the team if needs be.Like Ciaran did last year,shoring up our defense at various stages of games.It is a great to have this calm,reassuring presence on the field when things are in the melting pot.Ciaran Kilkenny,please god,when he hangs up the boots,will be universally accepted as a Dublin great.I hold such high hopes for him.

I

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 10/02/2017 15:15:27    1954421

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Interesting,your the only poster who mentioned C Kilkenny apart from myself.I don't think Ciaran is appreciated by many fans from inside and outside Dublin.Many ridiculed his nomination for player of the year last year.

However,those that appreciate the savage graft and selflessness of his play have nothing but total admiration for the man.

And he is only a very young lad.If he remains injury free and fit i can see a true Dublin warrior enjoying a very fruitful career.

Maybe it's the type of player i like.The likes of Flynn,McMahon,McCarthy,McManamen.I love a tough,hard,fair player.Not dirty,but a man you'd want to go to war with.Someone you know will have your back.A selfless player that will always pass a ball rather than shoot if it's the best option.Who will sacrifice himself for the good of the team if needs be.Like Ciaran did last year,shoring up our defense at various stages of games.It is a great to have this calm,reassuring presence on the field when things are in the melting pot.Ciaran Kilkenny,please god,when he hangs up the boots,will be universally accepted as a Dublin great.I hold such high hopes for him.

I"
I had a dream ,,, could Ciaran k become our best ever no.6 ?,

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 53 - 10/02/2017 15:38:29    1954432

Link

Replying To Heffo:  "I had a dream ,,, could Ciaran k become our best ever no.6 ?,"
Well switching Paul Curran to wing back worked so you might be on to something.

Kilkenny does not shoot much at all these days and he seems to play very deep for Castleknock so 6 should suit him in theory.
Plenty of energy, pace, links up play well and plays the simple pass.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 975 - 10/02/2017 17:29:44    1954473

Link

Kilkenny is class I love everything he does, I remember in last years final when everyone was losing the head I was roaring non stop to get the ball to Kilkenny he won't do anything stupid with it he's so cool under pressure in massive games he's got it all and is a cert for any Dublin team of any era , Wexford Man I can't agree with your team and no Paul Flynn that's just not right Flynn is the best number 10 we've ever had what a player.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9520 - 10/02/2017 19:52:23    1954507

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Kilkenny is class I love everything he does, I remember in last years final when everyone was losing the head I was roaring non stop to get the ball to Kilkenny he won't do anything stupid with it he's so cool under pressure in massive games he's got it all and is a cert for any Dublin team of any era , Wexford Man I can't agree with your team and no Paul Flynn that's just not right Flynn is the best number 10 we've ever had what a player."
I wouldn't really class Flynn as a forward more of the forward/midfielder type.

For me when I think forward I think of creators, although Flynn can create his main job is the donkey work.

If you are going to pick hard working forwards I would pick Shane Ryan. Could play anywhere, ran all day but couldn't shoot!

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 975 - 10/02/2017 23:36:09    1954570

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I wouldn't really class Flynn as a forward more of the forward/midfielder type.

For me when I think forward I think of creators, although Flynn can create his main job is the donkey work.

If you are going to pick hard working forwards I would pick Shane Ryan. Could play anywhere, ran all day but couldn't shoot!"
That's the mistake many make,i feel.When they think of a forward they bust think of who scores the most.Whoever scores the most must be the best player.

That's not the case for me.Paul Flynn is an animal of a footballer.The lad never stops working.He,also,chipped in with a fair amount of scores,down through the years,like all good half-forwards should.His scores have dried up lately due to injuries and wear and tear but again,if i was going to war,he'd be one of the first men i'd choose to go down the trenches.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 11/02/2017 10:59:07    1954650

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "That's the mistake many make,i feel.When they think of a forward they bust think of who scores the most.Whoever scores the most must be the best player.

That's not the case for me.Paul Flynn is an animal of a footballer.The lad never stops working.He,also,chipped in with a fair amount of scores,down through the years,like all good half-forwards should.His scores have dried up lately due to injuries and wear and tear but again,if i was going to war,he'd be one of the first men i'd choose to go down the trenches."
Yep I would rate Shane Ryan ahead of Paul Flynn as regards "trench warfare".

Plus Ryaner did not play in as good a team. That was real trench warfare!

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 975 - 11/02/2017 22:34:17    1954920

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Yep I would rate Shane Ryan ahead of Paul Flynn as regards "trench warfare".

Plus Ryaner did not play in as good a team. That was real trench warfare!"
Ryan was a tough operator,but he's not on the same level as Paul Flynn as a footballer.Flynn has it all.I'd like to see his scoring stats over the years ; i'd say their quite impressive for a wing forward.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 11/02/2017 22:44:39    1954929

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Ryan was a tough operator,but he's not on the same level as Paul Flynn as a footballer.Flynn has it all.I'd like to see his scoring stats over the years ; i'd say their quite impressive for a wing forward."
I think the GAA throw up those stats in an ad Paul Flynn is in.
Miles run goals/points scored etc

I am sure someone knows the numbers

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 975 - 12/02/2017 00:36:34    1954973

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Ryan was a tough operator,but he's not on the same level as Paul Flynn as a footballer.Flynn has it all.I'd like to see his scoring stats over the years ; i'd say their quite impressive for a wing forward."
`Flynn scored 11-70 in 101 games for Dublin.

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 12/02/2017 20:35:50    1955587

Link

Bernard Brogan our greatest scoring forward. 35-342(447) in 106 games between championship and league.

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 12/02/2017 20:38:39    1955593

Link

Gorm I'm in enough trouble on here to start having a go at you but come on man Shane Ryan ahead of Paul Flynn are you having a laugh??? Shane Ryan a great warhorse for Dublin he gave it everything but he's not at Flynn's level.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9520 - 12/02/2017 22:53:23    1955775

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Gorm I'm in enough trouble on here to start having a go at you but come on man Shane Ryan ahead of Paul Flynn are you having a laugh??? Shane Ryan a great warhorse for Dublin he gave it everything but he's not at Flynn's level."
I would pick Ryan above Flynn for "warhorseness" alone

Plus when Ryan scored a point that normally meant "jayus even Ryaner is scoring now we can't lose" :D

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 975 - 13/02/2017 01:21:25    1955855

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I would pick Ryan above Flynn for "warhorseness" alone

Plus when Ryan scored a point that normally meant "jayus even Ryaner is scoring now we can't lose" :D"
No when Darren Magee scored one you knew the gods were smiling on us haha

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 13/02/2017 15:34:26    1956220

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "No when Darren Magee scored one you knew the gods were smiling on us haha"
If there is a thread for "Dublin's best ever back" surely his brother Johnny is in the running just for this on its own?

Johnny McGee v Quinten Hann

[url=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzUKqhe0fw

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 975 - 13/02/2017 16:52:37    1956268

Link

Bahaha, poor ol Johnny get the run around off a snooker player!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7287 - 13/02/2017 18:52:08    1956317

Link

In fairness, Hann was into boxing and was a world motor bike cross country champion or something like that.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7287 - 13/02/2017 22:58:19    1956457

Link