Dublin Forum

Pat O'Neill's team V Jim Gavin's team

(Oldest Posts First)

For those of us 35+ on here,

which team wooed you more!

Now there is no question who the better team are, but for whatever reason, and God knows I love this team, but no Dubs team in my lifetime has ever, or I would say ever will, match the love i felt and still feel for that team of PON in the 90's.
The 90's was a great time to be a Dub. The Dubs as a "thing" hadnt caught on in the City they way it has now. The fans who went were REAL fans, to a man and woman. Knew the players, knew their clubs, knew the opposition and knew their Clubs.
The Hill in the 90's was completely different to the Hill of today, the flags the songs the craic, completely different.

We had a very good team, but never a GREAT team. But we had a team of characters. Charlie, Vinny, Keith Barr, Jayo, Curraner, Paddy Moran, Clarky etc etc
The day we beat Meath in 95 by 10 points I cried on the Hill.

This team on 2017 is on a different level altogether, but for sheer love, passion and just, I dunno.......ggeerrruuppp.......the team of the 90's was just, EPIC. The pubs back then pre match for ALL games, from May to September would be mobbed for all games with singing and craickage!

One all ireland, ONE, but that All Ireland meant as much to me as the all irelands since combined (bar 2011)

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8144 - 24/05/2017 11:05:47    1990155

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "For those of us 35+ on here,

which team wooed you more!

Now there is no question who the better team are, but for whatever reason, and God knows I love this team, but no Dubs team in my lifetime has ever, or I would say ever will, match the love i felt and still feel for that team of PON in the 90's.
The 90's was a great time to be a Dub. The Dubs as a "thing" hadnt caught on in the City they way it has now. The fans who went were REAL fans, to a man and woman. Knew the players, knew their clubs, knew the opposition and knew their Clubs.
The Hill in the 90's was completely different to the Hill of today, the flags the songs the craic, completely different.

We had a very good team, but never a GREAT team. But we had a team of characters. Charlie, Vinny, Keith Barr, Jayo, Curraner, Paddy Moran, Clarky etc etc
The day we beat Meath in 95 by 10 points I cried on the Hill.

This team on 2017 is on a different level altogether, but for sheer love, passion and just, I dunno.......ggeerrruuppp.......the team of the 90's was just, EPIC. The pubs back then pre match for ALL games, from May to September would be mobbed for all games with singing and craickage!

One all ireland, ONE, but that All Ireland meant as much to me as the all irelands since combined (bar 2011)"
I agree with you that the 90's was a great time to be following the Dubs, even if the current team is miles ahead as a unit. There are a couple of things that might make you feel that way. Firstly,as you suggested, there were less of the big match/event junkies kind of fans then, and more GAA people that followed the Dubs , as opposed to people that follow the Dubs but have little or no connection to the club game in the county. Now before people start to slate me about everyone being entitled to support the team, not just people involved in clubs, I honestly don't care one way or the other, but there was definitely more of a sense of community among the supporters 20 years ago. Secondly, the fact that we played so many games away from Croke park during the early 90's because of the building work meant that you got to meet and know other fans a lot more. Nowadays with so many games, including the league games in Croker, you tend to only really get to interact with the same few faces whether in the stand, especially on a season ticket, or the hill.
Perhaps we are just getting old and misty eyed looking back, but the craic following the Dubs those days was brilliant, even if the results didn't usually match our hopes.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 322 - 24/05/2017 13:18:26    1990235

Link

It has to be the 90's team for me... that was my team.

If only they had Connolly and the Brogan bros back then

That's all that was missing to make that team multiple AI winners...

They just didn't have the natural dual footed forwards (although what was there, they did their upmost) and it took a certain Mr Sherlock to come along to revitalise it all

Still though,,, marvellous time to be a Dubs fan (even with the heart breaking loses) but sure it just made 1995 all the sweeter!

Great times before all the various layers of responsibility started to be pilled on :)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 24/05/2017 13:21:24    1990236

Link

90s of course
Askthe question in 20 years time and there will be a generation getting misty-eyed about a Fenton Connolly etc that's what age does , sure me Dad who is 86 hanging on his last legs swears by a certain Heffo and Foley clan

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 24/05/2017 13:47:46    1990253

Link

BOOM BOOM BOOM let me hear you say…………………..

Ah the long hot summer of 95 and Jayomania sweeping the city!

I was only a nipper then to be fair so can't really compare if I'm being honest.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12723 - 24/05/2017 13:54:32    1990260

Link

Its like the music you listened to when you were a teenager, you'll always have an emotional attachment to it and it sparks nostalgia. For me the 70's team was that team but I'm as happy to win now as I ever was.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 24/05/2017 17:46:59    1990364

Link

There is always one unanswered question when it comes to this.
If there was a backdoor system back in the ultra competitive 90s would the 95 team have won more sam's then Jim's Juggernaut.

O'Niells team was less polished, less sophisticated and would go through wall after wall if they were asked.

Jim's team is all about precision, planning the process. Ironically it is much more surgical then Dr Pat's team.

Taking memories outside of the game out of it.
I would have to go for Jim's Juggernaut.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 24/05/2017 18:11:57    1990376

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Its like the music you listened to when you were a teenager, you'll always have an emotional attachment to it and it sparks nostalgia. For me the 70's team was that team but I'm as happy to win now as I ever was."
Amen to that !

Would have loved to be a younger fan back in the 70's.. incredible looking support

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 24/05/2017 20:16:04    1990411

Link

The team of the 90s deserved an AI but in reality fell over the line in 95. They had played better and lost AIs before that They lacked a forward who could kick decent points outside of DF. After beating Meath by 10 PST in 95 they lost to them in 96 in an awful display and didn't win Leinster for 7 years,

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 319 - 24/05/2017 21:06:34    1990423

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Amen to that !

Would have loved to be a younger fan back in the 70's.. incredible looking support"
I was 7 at the '74 final, the roar when Cullen saved the peno and the hill exploding are etched in my mind, instant addiction!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 24/05/2017 22:46:45    1990454

Link

Replying To realdub:  "I was 7 at the '74 final, the roar when Cullen saved the peno and the hill exploding are etched in my mind, instant addiction!"
Great memory to have tucked away in there !

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 24/05/2017 23:42:21    1990468

Link

i honestly dont think its just nostalgia etc
in the 90's, Leinster was uber competetive between Dubs Meath
Even Offaly got in on the act sure

I remember being in the Clonliffe House for first round games and the place being packed out the door with fans of both teams and sing songs pre and post match
That just doesnt happen anymore
Every game was a final as it was knock out

And as I said, the Hill was different class altogether
Just look up games from the 90's on Youtube and watch and listen to the hill
its still good craic now but not even close to the 90's Hill

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8144 - 25/05/2017 16:19:46    1990725

Link

Also, back then if you were getting a bus into town from walkinstown/clondalkin/ballinteer etc on match day and a fellow dubs jersey got on, youd always have a nod and a chat as we were much fewer in number back then
It used to be the Dubs on the hill, the culchies in the hogan and the cusack and the canal was 50/50
i remember as a teenager in 95 (16) wearing the jersey on a non match day and being asked "why i was wearing it".............

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8144 - 25/05/2017 16:22:34    1990726

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "i honestly dont think its just nostalgia etc
in the 90's, Leinster was uber competetive between Dubs Meath
Even Offaly got in on the act sure

I remember being in the Clonliffe House for first round games and the place being packed out the door with fans of both teams and sing songs pre and post match
That just doesnt happen anymore
Every game was a final as it was knock out

And as I said, the Hill was different class altogether
Just look up games from the 90's on Youtube and watch and listen to the hill
its still good craic now but not even close to the 90's Hill"
The hill definitely seems less raucous than pre redevelopment.

I only really caught the tail end of it from the late 90s.

I think the redevelopment making the hill a far more comfortable place to go and families and older people have stayed on the hill rather than graduated up to the stand like they would have previously.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12723 - 25/05/2017 17:17:16    1990743

Link

Current team hands down for me.
Everything looks great looking back you think its like people always tend to have themselves believe summers were filled with sunny days when they were young that it never rained like it does now, yet the facts just prove them wrong.
at the time the team of the 90tys was great but they were master's of their own downfall. Some attitudes and the unprofessionalism had a bearing on them not winning all Ireland's.
the team since 2011 have been so professional and consistent and given us some of the best moments in Dublin colours ever, they never give up regardless and have been able to blow teams away that without that level of dedication might have lead to trickier situations.
their seems to be no airs and graces about the current team which also makes it more enjoyable to see them deliver the goods.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 25/05/2017 18:17:40    1990766

Link

Was a nipper watching the 90's team loved them all great days , love the team now every single one of them from our legendary keeper to our hard as nails corner back to our good looking centre back to our baby face midfielder to our coolest white man on the planet half forward to our Brogan baby in the corner all living legends. These are great days long may they continue.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 25/05/2017 20:02:27    1990803

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Current team hands down for me.
Everything looks great looking back you think its like people always tend to have themselves believe summers were filled with sunny days when they were young that it never rained like it does now, yet the facts just prove them wrong.
at the time the team of the 90tys was great but they were master's of their own downfall. Some attitudes and the unprofessionalism had a bearing on them not winning all Ireland's.
the team since 2011 have been so professional and consistent and given us some of the best moments in Dublin colours ever, they never give up regardless and have been able to blow teams away that without that level of dedication might have lead to trickier situations.
their seems to be no airs and graces about the current team which also makes it more enjoyable to see them deliver the goods."
No doubt the current team is better

But where would they be without the 90's men in charge

Gilroy, Gavin, Jayo, Deegan, Darcy etc

Then you have Dessie, Curran

The 90's class still shining on!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 25/05/2017 20:27:00    1990809

Link

The current team more successful but the 90's team are still my favourite Dublin team , That 90's team were a talented bunch of footballers in their day. They were motley crew of different strong willed personalities. Some were harder to manage then others. O'Neill was able to mould them into a successful team. I remember following that team was like an emotional rollercoaster of great days out in Leinster and heart breaking defeats in All Ireland Finals. They managed to stumble over the line and win the 1995 All Ireland , the Fans also stumbled over the line as well with emotional exhaustion. ''' it was a Donkey off our backs! '' as a famous player said at the time. ,,, When I think of the 90's team! I am thinking of the years 1991 to 1998. The Dubs won the All Ireland in 1995! but there were many great stalwarts of that 90's team that didn't win any All Ireland medal in 1995 .. the likes of Heery , Carr , Sheedy are some names that spring to mind.

Wexiko (Wexford) - Posts: 81 - 27/05/2017 11:25:03    1991189

Link

They were a very good Dublin team in their day. Their record speaks for itself

Leinster titles .. 1992 , 1993 , 1994 , 1994.

All Ireland titles ... 1995

National league titles ... 1991, 1993

They were good enough to play in 3 All Ireland finals .. 1992 , 1994 , 1995

They were a very consistent team for those five years. As I said in my earlier post ,, Following the Dublin team of the 90's was emotional rollercoaster of great memories and highs and lows. In my opinion what endears the 90's Dublin team to fans is = they weren't the perfect consummate professionals , The players were human they enjoyed drinking pints after matches and yes they made mistakes on match days , They sometimes choked and failed on All Ireland day and came off the pitch crest fallen and dejected and the Fans felt their pain ,,But they overcame all the disappointments and adversity and they came back with determination and became All Ireland champions it was a long hard road to win that All Ireland in 1995. That (91 to 98 ) Dublin team is my favourite team.

Wexiko (Wexford) - Posts: 81 - 27/05/2017 16:20:54    1991258

Link