Dublin Forum

Proposed changes to Dublin Minor Club Setup

(Oldest Posts First)

I see Dublin GAA has requested clubs give their feedback on a number of recommendations re U17 (Minor) and a New Grade (U19). The Dublin CB is hoping to align Minor with Inter-county with also the creation of an U19 grade. This if agreed with clubs would be effective from Jan 1st 2018 but does require bye law changes hence the need for vote.
A look at recommendations
1.) For both Football and Hurling, Minor Age Group at Club Level to replicate Inter-County Level and change to Under 17
2.) A new age group Under 19 to be introduced
3.) Games Programme Governance
CCC1 U8 to U12 No Change
CCC2 U13 to Minor (U17) Minor moving from CCC to CCC2 *
Adult CCC Under 19 New Age Group to CCC *
4. Under 15 to play on Saturday (currently Sunday)
5. Under 16 to play on Sunday (currently Saturday)
6. Minor (U17) to play on Sunday
7. Under 19 to play on same day as AHL/AFL Divisions 1-4
*Bye Law changes required to change Games Committee Governance
Rationale for Recommendation
Recommendation in accordance with the strategic outlook for Dublin GAA as published in The Blue Wave;
Ensure a consistency in Minor Age Group at both Club and Inter-County;
Supports and Enhances player retention and defers player fall off;
New Under 19 Age Group will provide for players in the final years of Secondary Level Education;
Provides a more effective bridge on the player pathway from Juvenile to Minor to Under 19 and Adult Games;
New Games Programme structured to cater for forecast growth in Population Demographic and Player Numbers;
From 1.1.2018 to be eligible for the Grades listed hereunder, a Club Player shall meet the respective stated age criteria:
Minor (Under 17): Be Under 17 and Over 14 years
Under 19: Be Under 19 and Over 16 years
Adult: Be Over 17 years

Not to sure if this will go through myself will have a big impact on clubs all the way down to U15.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4183 - 10/05/2017 10:37:12    1985615

Link

Replying To arock:  "I see Dublin GAA has requested clubs give their feedback on a number of recommendations re U17 (Minor) and a New Grade (U19). The Dublin CB is hoping to align Minor with Inter-county with also the creation of an U19 grade. This if agreed with clubs would be effective from Jan 1st 2018 but does require bye law changes hence the need for vote.
A look at recommendations
1.) For both Football and Hurling, Minor Age Group at Club Level to replicate Inter-County Level and change to Under 17
2.) A new age group Under 19 to be introduced
3.) Games Programme Governance
CCC1 U8 to U12 No Change
CCC2 U13 to Minor (U17) Minor moving from CCC to CCC2 *
Adult CCC Under 19 New Age Group to CCC *
4. Under 15 to play on Saturday (currently Sunday)
5. Under 16 to play on Sunday (currently Saturday)
6. Minor (U17) to play on Sunday
7. Under 19 to play on same day as AHL/AFL Divisions 1-4
*Bye Law changes required to change Games Committee Governance
Rationale for Recommendation
Recommendation in accordance with the strategic outlook for Dublin GAA as published in The Blue Wave;
Ensure a consistency in Minor Age Group at both Club and Inter-County;
Supports and Enhances player retention and defers player fall off;
New Under 19 Age Group will provide for players in the final years of Secondary Level Education;
Provides a more effective bridge on the player pathway from Juvenile to Minor to Under 19 and Adult Games;
New Games Programme structured to cater for forecast growth in Population Demographic and Player Numbers;
From 1.1.2018 to be eligible for the Grades listed hereunder, a Club Player shall meet the respective stated age criteria:
Minor (Under 17): Be Under 17 and Over 14 years
Under 19: Be Under 19 and Over 16 years
Adult: Be Over 17 years

Not to sure if this will go through myself will have a big impact on clubs all the way down to U15."
At first glance I wouldn't be in favour , now Im only looking from my own clubs point of view we currently at best are producing 5-6 second year minors that go onto adult games , when lads hit adult games they no longer want to play backwards , we haven't entered an under 21 team in the last four years at either code , once fellas hit 18 if by magic you still have them playing they want to play with men and test themselves , can see big clubs being able to field under 19 teams no problem

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 10/05/2017 13:37:17    1985672

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "At first glance I wouldn't be in favour , now Im only looking from my own clubs point of view we currently at best are producing 5-6 second year minors that go onto adult games , when lads hit adult games they no longer want to play backwards , we haven't entered an under 21 team in the last four years at either code , once fellas hit 18 if by magic you still have them playing they want to play with men and test themselves , can see big clubs being able to field under 19 teams no problem"
That was what I was thinking alright, it is probably perfect for the bigger clubs - it is effectively splitting Minor into adult and juvenile. And yeah would see it at first hand once players play adult there is no going back.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4183 - 10/05/2017 20:35:32    1985799

Link