Dublin Forum

Dermo - flawed genius

(Oldest Posts First)

The fella is absolutely out of this world ability wise, A different stratosphere. A hero of mine He makes the game look so bloody easy. The one gaelic footballer ive ever watched who's ability has made me laugh out loud. A guy who I cant use enough superlatives to describe exactly how good I think he is...

And yet, among that genius, is his biggest flaw, and one I wish he would/could eradicate from his game so bloody much :(

Why Derm? Why ?

If only he could stay on the pitch FFS

I'd pay money to watch him knock a ball around on his own, he is THAT entertaining to watch.

His point today was exquisite.

He is a liability though.

As much as I love him, and you wont find a bigger Diarmo fan than me, He lets his team mates down so much.

Even if his cards are some times harsh, I didn't see the incident today, but he has this uncanny ability to find himself sitting on the line watching his team mates dig him out.

No harm on Scullier, he has been a breath of fresh air so far in 17, but he isn't at Connollys level, nobody is, and even though his black card wasn't the sole reason we lost, ive no doubt we'd have been better had he stayed on longer.

Either way, Whether refs are onto him or whatever, he gives so many refs, linos, umpires etc reason to pull him up and send him off (black or red). Its infuriating.

At some stage it was just going to be too big an ask to dig him out, today was the day. There is no point in saying hopefully he learns his lesson but he wont, He never does. And at some point in the future we will need to go to the well and dig deep while he is watching from the line again.

Such a bloody shame.

Ugh.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13502 - 09/04/2017 20:02:55    1977594

Link

It was a soft enough black card but Connolly deserved it. Why he gets himself involved is beyond me he is becoming a liability for me he needs a kick in the hxle. For me he could do with a spell on the bench.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 845 - 09/04/2017 21:01:25    1977631

Link

Replying To jacktheDub:  "It was a soft enough black card but Connolly deserved it. Why he gets himself involved is beyond me he is becoming a liability for me he needs a kick in the hxle. For me he could do with a spell on the bench."
There was nothing soft about it. It was the very definition of the sort of nonsense the black card was brought in to stop.

The thing is I can't figure out for the life of me why he did it. The ball was nowhere near him & all he was doing was trotting up the field, in wide open space, beside his marker when he suddenly decides to pull him down. Crazy stuff.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4946 - 09/04/2017 21:42:13    1977656

Link

Agree.

Idiotic.

Cant even sympathize with him on this occasion, last week was perhaps a bit harsh, this week was just........ ridiculous.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13502 - 09/04/2017 21:56:06    1977667

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "There was nothing soft about it. It was the very definition of the sort of nonsense the black card was brought in to stop.

The thing is I can't figure out for the life of me why he did it. The ball was nowhere near him & all he was doing was trotting up the field, in wide open space, beside his marker when he suddenly decides to pull him down. Crazy stuff."
Just seen it back agree 100% when will the man ever learn.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 845 - 09/04/2017 22:19:16    1977676

Link

It was a pointless thing to do completely no need for it. For me though the linesman was inconsistent as o Sullivan was pulled down with couple minutes to go to half time very same thing by geaney I think as he was trying to get forward off the ball.
Am I correct in saying Connolly now misses the first round of championship as that's two black cards running, Cooper missed first round of league for same thing owing from his black card in all ireland

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 09/04/2017 23:27:02    1977707

Link

He was spraying the ball around well at the time. I have to presume that something happened just before it, words exchanged or whatever, but a player of lesser ability would be deemed a liability and tossed out of the squad for that nonsense.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4033 - 09/04/2017 23:31:03    1977710

Link

Dublin were looking good while he was on the pitch . He let the team down today , really needs to cope on .

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 09/04/2017 23:46:12    1977716

Link

Diarmuid is Diarmuid, yes he will be spoken to big time coming into the championship, and he CAN hold it together for a few games, but he will always revert to what he is. He's too good to drop though, more good than bad.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 10/04/2017 00:10:45    1977721

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Diarmuid is Diarmuid, yes he will be spoken to big time coming into the championship, and he CAN hold it together for a few games, but he will always revert to what he is. He's too good to drop though, more good than bad."
He should be dropped , as good as he is hes a liability and lets his team mates down far to often.

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 1869 - 10/04/2017 09:24:19    1977764

Link

Anyone actually surprised ? Thread says flawed genius no more to say

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 10/04/2017 09:48:28    1977778

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Anyone actually surprised ? Thread says flawed genius no more to say"
Yeah I am surprised as normally he gets cards for reacting but in this instance it was a pointless ludicrous decision he made and he was having a good game at the time, don't make any sense why he felt the need to stop the Kerry player going towards his own goal

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 10/04/2017 09:58:59    1977792

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Yeah I am surprised as normally he gets cards for reacting but in this instance it was a pointless ludicrous decision he made and he was having a good game at the time, don't make any sense why he felt the need to stop the Kerry player going towards his own goal"
Hill I honestly feel Dermot couldn't answer , your puzzled , everyone's puzzled, I resigned myself a long time ago that some players cannot be trusted , its not in their DNA , that's were Jim comes in its a balancing act of risk and reward , can see equal merit in playing DC and there are valid reasons to not starting him

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 10/04/2017 10:55:09    1977827

Link

I know we aren't one for Hill16army but anyone see their defence of Connolly last night ? Basically lambasted people for calling Diarmo out for his ridiculous black card, saying we back him during good and bad. Id agree if nobody ever praised him and just slaughtered him when he done wrong.

Don't care how good you've been, how much potential you have, We have eulogized over Diarmuid before and ive absolutely no doubt we will again, many more times.

We credit him when he does something brilliant, weve every right to slate him when he lets himself and his team down aswell.

He left his team out to dry yesterday. And he is a liability that's a fact. You cant trust him to stay on the pitch each and every time he starts. Shocking discipline from a man who knows everything he does will be under the microscope cause of who he is.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13502 - 10/04/2017 12:46:42    1977907

Link

Damo
but after picking one up last week you surely would be watching yourself in that regard it was kamakaze stuff.
there's one idea I would think could be worth trying and that's down to rock not contributing enough from play and thats have Connolly work over next 8 weeks on free taking its an area of a players game that needs concentration and discipline, it might pay dividends on his mindset during those moments when the blood is about to rush to his head and do the silly stuff.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 10/04/2017 14:35:44    1977999

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Damo
but after picking one up last week you surely would be watching yourself in that regard it was kamakaze stuff.
there's one idea I would think could be worth trying and that's down to rock not contributing enough from play and thats have Connolly work over next 8 weeks on free taking its an area of a players game that needs concentration and discipline, it might pay dividends on his mindset during those moments when the blood is about to rush to his head and do the silly stuff."
You and I would watch ourselves after last week , normal guys would be wary , but Dermo is as mad as a bag of frogs for that reason Im not surprised , cant agree on the free taking if anything that brings an amount of pressure , if he missed one or two jesus could you imagine what the devil on his shoulder would be whispering .
You are right re frees maybe if Con comes in he may take over from Dean if he doesn't get the finger out in general play.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 10/04/2017 15:44:28    1978027

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "You and I would watch ourselves after last week , normal guys would be wary , but Dermo is as mad as a bag of frogs for that reason Im not surprised , cant agree on the free taking if anything that brings an amount of pressure , if he missed one or two jesus could you imagine what the devil on his shoulder would be whispering .
You are right re frees maybe if Con comes in he may take over from Dean if he doesn't get the finger out in general play."
I don't know if con is a natural freetaker like rock, certainly from around the 35-45 metres he wouldn't be reliable, mannion and brogan are the same from 14-30 you would expect them to slot them over though, Connolly has the ability to take frees and was trusted enough to kick the sideline ball with no need to go for a score in the all ireland final last year when we were a point up. Long range kicks are in his locker and if rock don't start it's going to be an area we will need to work on with cluxton not seemingly looking like he will come forward for them anymore

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 10/04/2017 16:19:00    1978040

Link

I know it might be a radical idea, but what about taking him off when he is looking rattled.
Then get him to calm down, and bring him back on again likePeter Canavan for Tyrone.

The other alternative is to bench him and tell him you are coming on for the last 20/25 minutes tear into those tired legs?

The think about Connolly at least he is a way above average player who is a hot head.

Unlike a few others that have passed through the panel over the years.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 14/04/2017 17:03:29    1979430

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I know it might be a radical idea, but what about taking him off when he is looking rattled.
Then get him to calm down, and bring him back on again likePeter Canavan for Tyrone.

The other alternative is to bench him and tell him you are coming on for the last 20/25 minutes tear into those tired legs?

The think about Connolly at least he is a way above average player who is a hot head.

Unlike a few others that have passed through the panel over the years."
'Unlike a few others that have passed through the panel over the years'

Was put in the above post by the admin to replace a former Dublin player, I mentioned who was also a hothead put not as good a player as Connolly.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 15/04/2017 00:05:20    1979492

Link

My favourite Dublin player since I started following the boys in blue since 1986, but the black card rule has done him no favours lol

MinuteMan (Dublin) - Posts: 11 - 20/05/2017 14:51:04    1988551

Link