Westmeath Forum

Senior Champ'ship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think both games will be closer than expected. This will be the end of the road for shamrocks, without kieran gavin they will have no way of stopping the Lomans attack. Lomans to win by 8 points. I fancy an upset in the other semi, i think kinnegad can do this. Kinnegad to win by 1 point.

cantona7 (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 24/09/2014 13:50:19    1656546

Link

Hard to know. Garrycastle have to be dangerous once they get this far. Having said that Kinnegad seem to be most improved team this year so it shoudl be a good game.

Hard to see Lomans being beaten. Bernard Flynn is only a novice compared to Declan Rowley and they have looked awesome at times. I am not sure that Kieran Gavin missing will make that much difference. He played in the game where Shamrocks were hammered. I thought Price was a huge player for Lomans that day winning all the dirty ball - I would expect Shamrocks to be a bit more competitive in that area. Also Siode has looked a great man marker as Denis Glennon knows so it is all to play for

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 25/09/2014 09:51:21    1656806

Link

Well we won't be backing any of Cantonas tips for a while. It looks like Garrycastle have hit form just at the right time. Very suprising that Lomans could not put Shamrocks away. It looked like they thought the game was won. Shamrocks do not seem to know what to do with Darragh Daly. The referee played a stormer and kept the game flowing.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 29/09/2014 09:36:21    1657912

Link

Missed the start of the first game yesterday. Turned out to be a comfortable win for Garrycastle in the end. Kinnegad appeared overawed by the occasion. Some wayward shooting from them meant Garrycastle were never under any pressure in the match. Interesting to see Garrycastle deploying all 15 players inside their own half when defending at various times in the match yesterday. A sign of what they intend for the final?

Probably a fair result in the second match in the end. It was an exciting last 15 minutes of the match. Did complacency set in with Lomans?
7 points up after about 20 minutes yesterday and 3 points up with two mins plus injury time to play and they couldn't get over the line. Shamrocks look much improved from the earlier championship match between these two. The games with T'pass seem to have woken them up. They closed the space better in defence and offered more of a threat in attack, particularly when Daly came on. Their work rate was much better. Agree with the earlier comment that perhaps they don't quite know where to put Daly to get the best out of him yet. I think the Shamrocks management have identified Sharry as the biggest threat for Lomans. Not many teams have a player with so much pace and running in midfield, and he is the playmaker for much of what Lomans do in attack.

The replay I hear is fixed for Kinnegad on Wednesday night. Lomans should remain favourites. They were never headed by Shamrocks yesterday and I feel the amount of games Shamrocks have played recently may catch up with them.

lady_gaagaa (Westmeath) - Posts: 74 - 29/09/2014 13:16:45    1658061

Link

Match fixed for Kinnegad on Wednesday night . Clubs told after drawn game. Suddenly master fixture plan thrown out the window and county final put back. Would not happen only St Lomans involved.. I'd say Oliver plunketts must be wondering if there are different rules for different clubs?

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 29/09/2014 16:29:09    1658186

Link

there are.
some clubs have all the pull with certain people very influential

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1655 - 29/09/2014 17:30:59    1658227

Link

Was it now moved to the 12th of October to suit Lomans who have Clonkill players on this weekend? A bit of a joke after what happened to Plunketts during the summer!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 29/09/2014 20:22:28    1658312

Link

Both clubs told after the game the replay on Wednesday by county Chairman. Lomans/Clonkill influence got to work overnight obviously,something other clubs can only dream of,

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 29/09/2014 20:48:04    1658322

Link

Everybody knows some clubs are politically strong. A fixture list is a fixture list but it seems they can be got at and retuned in quick time. What is the justification? I see Caulry have to play the SF and Final in just over a week . Why is their a different rule for some clubs.

Redslayer (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 29/09/2014 21:51:27    1658366

Link

Certainly got my predictions wrong at the weekend. Very disapointed with kinnegad, i thought they would put up a better show. The injuries to their best forwards really caught up with them. Garrycastle looked decent but certainly not the team of old. Lomans hit a lot of wides which cost them the game, although credit to shamrocks for not giving up at any stage. Id expect the classier St Lomans to progress the next day. Im glad this replay is on in cusack park, it is the only place to hold a game of this magnitude.

cantona7 (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 30/09/2014 13:22:22    1658559

Link

Is the replay on Sunday?

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1835 - 30/09/2014 14:03:34    1658584

Link

The two teams that qualified directly for the semi final seem to have gone backwards,perhaps the loss of momentum due to the long wait, this nearly caught lomans out and certainly seemed to affect a very lacklustre kinnegad,garrycastle are coming with good momentum now,but the draw game is a blessing for lomans,that should stand to them and get them moving back up through the gears.Shamrocks had their chance the last day,lomans will be a bit sharper now and should go on to win it out.

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 30/09/2014 15:57:58    1658630

Link

The replay of the semi final was originally to be Wednesday 1st October but miraculously Westmeath Co board only found out this week that the Westmeath Champions first match in the Leinster club Championship will not be until the 9th November, therefore it was decided to give St Loman's and Mullingar Shamrocks the extra 10 days to rest and prepare. I'll bet Tyrrellspass are a little displeased with that scenario when they and Shamrocks were ordered to replay 3 or 4 days after their quarter final.

As regards to the notion that the ref of the drawn match had a 'stormer' God help us, it was easily the worst refereeing performance I have ever witnessed - and by the way, I am entirely neutral on the match. It was as if the GAA Rule Book didn't exist. After seeing that game it is very easy to see how games can very quickly and all too often get out of hand.

Lets hope the replay is a better football affair.

tazz (Westmeath) - Posts: 49 - 30/09/2014 18:50:08    1658724

Link

The dog on the street knows that Clonkill put the pressure on to put back the football semi replay because of the hurling this weekend. Sure lads that's how the 'system' works. As the County Board statement read "After further consideration of the fixtures plan this morning....." What a joke. Obviously Oliver Plunkett's didn't have the same pull earlier in the season. The 2 minor football teams now have to wait 4 weeks to play their div 1 final but I accept it needs to be the curtain raiser for the senior final.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 30/09/2014 21:19:29    1658796

Link

We have a very fine County Board!

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1018 - 30/09/2014 21:31:51    1658803

Link

County final this weekend and like a lot of others, never expected either of these teams to get to this stage.
Garrycastle seemed destined to the history books and what has happened to them in the past couple of months is unbelievable.
Equally, Mullingar Shamrocks have proved that they're a team to be reckoned with, beating the likely champions St. Lomans.
How will it go?
The fact Garrycastle really haven't been push might be the deciding factor - Shamrocks have shown character in both drawn games against Tpass & Lomans.
I image it will be a tight affair, and wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends in a draw!!

Registered (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 24/10/2014 09:10:22    1666749

Link

Jaysus lads can we not start a new thread for the county final - I will do it !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 24/10/2014 14:09:00    1666871

Link

Have to agree Registered. I dont think anyone saw this pairing coming a few months ago and both teams have their positives and negatives. The bookies have Garrycastle as favourites but i think this could go any way. Best of luck to both clubs. I just wished we could have had a new County Manager in place for it.

Congrats also to the 2 clubs in the Minor Final who also are a very novel pairing. The Downs V Shandonagh. Good to see some talent coming through in these clubs for the future. Enjoy the day.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 24/10/2014 14:13:23    1666873

Link

On Sunday the 2014 senior championship concluded with a fairly comprehensive win for Garrycastle (6 points in the end). Without getting into the nuts and bolts for that game, how did you find the championship as a whole?
Lomans, the favourites from the off-set will be disappointed with how their championship ended. But overall, I think they'll be happy with the bulk of their championship performances. Probably believed their own hype, which may have affected their approach to Shamrocks.
Shamrocks, I feel will be disappointed with their county final. They were poor to be honest. Scoring 3 points will a gale force wind any day is poor. A lot of their big name players didn't turn up, or weren't let play.
Garrycastle; dead and buried a couple of months ago will be delighted how they pulled this one out of the bag. Fantastic performance by Des in the final, but more importantly from the younger players on the team.
Tpass, Kinnegad, Malakeys ; These teams will be happy enough with how 2014 panned out. However, did they all peak too early in the championship?
Athlone, Maryland, Downs, Bun, Cdaly; Naturally Athlone had a nightmare year, but I don't think any of these teams will be too happy with their performances this year.

Registered (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 28/10/2014 11:42:40    1667677

Link

Funny Killucan were the only team you didnt mention in your piece?

theslenderman (Westmeath) - Posts: 43 - 28/10/2014 13:51:44    1667747

Link