Westmeath Forum

SF challenge: Westmeath v Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lost 18-16 last night, anyone have the team?

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 84 - 20/12/2017 10:28:56    2065663

Link

Dont have either team but heard it was a terrible match both teams were shocking bad

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 20/12/2017 12:53:52    2065683

Link

Call out to the new PRO, can we a small bit of coverage, even a team list would do ! I believe Roscommon won 0-18 to 0-16 although 103 called it 0-18 to 0-14 this morning.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 20/12/2017 14:13:58    2065693

Link

Fairly sure that the new PRO is also a maor uisce in the senior setup

yellowboy (Westmeath) - Posts: 64 - 20/12/2017 18:46:11    2065718

Link

PRO cannot be part of a managment set up that would be a conflict of interest. Surely we are not that stupid to vote someone in who already was connected to the senior team.

Paulknows (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 20/12/2017 22:46:59    2065732

Link

He's like a lot man

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 101 - 20/12/2017 23:46:27    2065736

Link

Both the new Assistant Secretary and the new PRO are also the senior team co ordinator and kit man respectively they will both have to vacate their positions with the senior team something both would have known before they put their names forward for officer board , new positions available with Colin Kelly's backroom team kit man will be his call , co ordinator will be county boards call

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 21/12/2017 00:10:12    2065738

Link

At the match awful viewing for both sides but especially Roscommon I actually thought westmeath won the match,

Westmeath has some decent performances on the night

Luke Loughlin - lively tho in a Champo match he'd not get a kick of it, also booked for diving, he's soft..

Denis Corroon and Alan stone had solid performances at midfield..

Sam Duncan showed well dunno will he cut it tho

One wing back was wearing #18 had a solid game I couldn't make out who he was with no team sheet

Kieran Martin looked rusty from full forward.. needs to find his position and stick with it I feel..
On the other hand there's a few players living off there past..
callam McCorrmack finished as far as county level is concerned he was awful in my view,
Looks like Killian Daly is been turned into a full back by the new manager.

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 21/12/2017 08:47:16    2065746

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "At the match awful viewing for both sides but especially Roscommon I actually thought westmeath won the match,

Luke Loughlin - lively tho in a Champo match he'd not get a kick of it, also booked for diving, he's soft..

One wing back was wearing #18 had a solid game I couldn't make out who he was with no team sheet

Kieran Martin looked rusty from full forward.. needs to find his position and stick with it I feel..
callam McCorrmack finished as far as county level is concerned he was awful in my view,
Looks like Killian Daly is been turned into a full back by the new manager."
I really think westmeath will struggle this year,also the possible exclusion of sharry would spell major trouble,a few lads living on their past,when wss the last time anyone saw kieran martin have a good game,killian daly is not a full back,rumour that kevin maguire also not playing next year,this would be a disaster as he was the one true defender that westmeath had.A lot of the new players called in are good lads but are nowehere near intercounty standard

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 21/12/2017 10:13:10    2065753

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "At the match awful viewing for both sides but especially Roscommon I actually thought westmeath won the match,

Dr Phil thought westmeath won match !!!!! Was he following at all .

yellowboy (Westmeath) - Posts: 64 - 21/12/2017 10:49:57    2065758

Link

Relax lads it's December!! These guys have lIves like us all!!..nobody is at their peak on Christmas week..need to panic just yet!

TheLineKing (Westmeath) - Posts: 11 - 21/12/2017 12:55:23    2065772

Link

Agree with the above, lads seem to chill about the result. Lads are not fit, and not very interested this time of year - the real stuff will start in January. Wasn't at the game but from the scoreline it looked like a very open game. Its about getting game time for the lads they have brought more than the performance. Right now they might not look up to it, but who's to say in two months time they wont be. Not sure what sort of team Roscommon put out, but they are Connacht champions lets not forget!!

winghalf10 (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 21/12/2017 15:11:11    2065791

Link

I'm delighted to see the new chairman is prioritising a training centre for county panels.
any land for sale?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1655 - 21/12/2017 15:51:44    2065796

Link

Replying To winghalf10:  "Agree with the above, lads seem to chill about the result. Lads are not fit, and not very interested this time of year - the real stuff will start in January. Wasn't at the game but from the scoreline it looked like a very open game. Its about getting game time for the lads they have brought more than the performance. Right now they might not look up to it, but who's to say in two months time they wont be. Not sure what sort of team Roscommon put out, but they are Connacht champions lets not forget!!"
We had 7 of the Connacht final team starting that challenge the rest made up of newbies or lads that have returned to the panel. Challenge matches this time of year are all about getting minutes on the field and getting the fitness levels up the serious stuff (NFL) is still another month away.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2546 - 21/12/2017 19:00:32    2065801

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "We had 7 of the Connacht final team starting that challenge the rest made up of newbies or lads that have returned to the panel. Challenge matches this time of year are all about getting minutes on the field and getting the fitness levels up the serious stuff (NFL) is still another month away."
No, don't agree with you. Were in a different place to your lads, definitely going through transition. Younger players should be out to get a place on the team and not "getting the minutes in" as an above poster said. Ridiculous

maroonkingdom (Westmeath) - Posts: 41 - 21/12/2017 19:30:33    2065804

Link

Westmeath starting 15 v Roscommon
David Bryan
John Rock
Gareth Carr
Mark McCallon
Jordan Marshment
Sam Duncan
Conor Slevin
Sean Lyster
Denis Corroon
Ciaran Shanley
Luke Loughlin
Alex Gardiner
Calum McCormack
Kieran Martin
Finbar Coyne

Lots of new names for senior level which is no harm to test these lads out.
Time will tell if they'll make the cut but we have the O'Byrne Cup starting Sat week Dec 30th.
Quite a few operating at Intermediate level with their clubs, not the end of the world but will need to exceptional to make the step up.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 21/12/2017 19:39:19    2065807

Link

Replying To maroonkingdom:  "No, don't agree with you. Were in a different place to your lads, definitely going through transition. Younger players should be out to get a place on the team and not "getting the minutes in" as an above poster said. Ridiculous"
Whatever team it may be you won't be earning your place on starting team for how you do in a challenge in the middle of December. Its the competitive action starting next month where players are judge on and some new or returning players will be thrown into those games to see can they sink or swim.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2546 - 21/12/2017 20:48:40    2065811

Link

These challenge matches used not even be reported and there was a good reason for that.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 844 - 21/12/2017 22:03:34    2065820

Link

Replying To maroonkingdom:  "No, don't agree with you. Were in a different place to your lads, definitely going through transition. Younger players should be out to get a place on the team and not "getting the minutes in" as an above poster said. Ridiculous"
That statement is a bit 'ridiculous' in in-self, your deluded if you think lads will earn a starting spot from games this time of year! If you look at last years panel compared to the one that togged out for the Ros game. Regardless of how well lads play this time of year, some will not cut it when the panel is being reduced and the lads on the panel last year will take priority. Happens every year.

winghalf10 (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 22/12/2017 09:23:08    2065838

Link

lads must have little do do when a challenge in the depths of winter is a thread on this . westmeath
are only tryingt out lads so its all meaningless

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1158 - 22/12/2017 16:45:03    2065878

Link