Westmeath Forum

Intermediate Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see they have the game re fixed. i wonder what basis they lodged there appeal

Team 1 v Team 2 Venue Time Date Referee
Ballinagore v Bunbrosna TEG Cusack Park 18:30 05/09/17 Mick Murtagh

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 176 - 01/09/2017 09:06:37    2041473

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Why would it be a re fixture and docked points? Plunketts were Docked points for refusing to play a game because they played one 3 days previous."
I don't think plunketts appealed. they just requested the game to be fixed on the saturday or some other day. issue was that they were expected to play sunday and then tuesday while every other team got at least 3 days and some got 4 days between fixtures. Appeal is useless unless you are Lomans, Clonkil or Raharney - an if you want an example then think of what happened when lomans were FIXED to play shamrocks (the same year as plunketts issue) in a replay and then it was changed due to lomans/clonkil kicking up a fuss. County Board have no backbone and will never use common sense

GAA_Analyst (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 01/09/2017 10:02:37    2041488

Link

Replying To gti:  "I see they have the game re fixed. i wonder what basis they lodged there appeal

Team 1 v Team 2 Venue Time Date Referee
Ballinagore v Bunbrosna TEG Cusack Park 18:30 05/09/17 Mick Murtagh"
So the initial fixture was honoured by Bunbrosna and ignored by Ballinagore, yet the team that turn up and 'played' the match are penalised? I can't see this decision sticking without some repercussions for Ballinagore. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Bunbrosna ignored this refixture due to the unavailability of some of their players. County Board really have no backbone.....

Google (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 01/09/2017 11:48:48    2041532

Link

Replying To Google:  "So the initial fixture was honoured by Bunbrosna and ignored by Ballinagore, yet the team that turn up and 'played' the match are penalised? I can't see this decision sticking without some repercussions for Ballinagore. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Bunbrosna ignored this refixture due to the unavailability of some of their players. County Board really have no backbone....."
As at 10pm last Friday (when Bgore had just finished a training session) the game was fixed for Sunday, they then received communication from the county board at 10.30pm that the game had been changed back to 5.30pm Saturday (so less than 24 hours notice). County board have quite rightly now refixed the game, could you imagine the ridicule that would have been made of the county board if Bgore had brought their appeal to a higher level? Both teams have their four days notice for Tuesdays game now although why it isn't fixed for a later time under lights I don't know

cusack86 (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 01/09/2017 12:43:43    2041554

Link

Replying To Google:  "So the initial fixture was honoured by Bunbrosna and ignored by Ballinagore, yet the team that turn up and 'played' the match are penalised? I can't see this decision sticking without some repercussions for Ballinagore. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Bunbrosna ignored this refixture due to the unavailability of some of their players. County Board really have no backbone....."
It is stupid to say county Board has no back bone as every club or player has a right to Appeal any decision . This would have been dealt with by the ccc and rightly so . Balinagore had not enough notice for the match to be refixed earlier, Bunbrosna new that they were not going to be there and should not have togged out, And also the ref should not have thrown the ball in either what was he thinking off .

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 74 - 01/09/2017 13:11:39    2041577

Link

Bunbrosna should not have togged out?? How were they to know that balinagores best player couldnt get off work meaning they werent going to show up for a game that was fixed 13days previous..

championshipman (Westmeath) - Posts: 22 - 01/09/2017 13:31:05    2041584

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "It is stupid to say county Board has no back bone as every club or player has a right to Appeal any decision . This would have been dealt with by the ccc and rightly so . Balinagore had not enough notice for the match to be refixed earlier, Bunbrosna new that they were not going to be there and should not have togged out, And also the ref should not have thrown the ball in either what was he thinking off ."
I think that is fairly foolish to suggest a team should not have togged out and the ref not throw in the ball. That reasoning would suggest Bun (who wasted their time showing up and fielding) and the ref, 2 linesmen and 4 umpires (who also showed up and wasted their time) should have stood there in solidarity with a team who didnt show up.

SookMaBalls (Westmeath) - Posts: 12 - 01/09/2017 13:52:05    2041593

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "It is stupid to say county Board has no back bone as every club or player has a right to Appeal any decision . This would have been dealt with by the ccc and rightly so . Balinagore had not enough notice for the match to be refixed earlier, Bunbrosna new that they were not going to be there and should not have togged out, And also the ref should not have thrown the ball in either what was he thinking off ."
I think that is fairly foolish to suggest a team should not have togged out and the ref not throw in the ball. That reasoning would suggest Bun (who wasted their time showing up and fielding) and the ref, 2 linesmen and 4 umpires (who also showed up and wasted their time) should have stood there in solidarity with a team who didnt show up.

SookMaBalls (Westmeath) - Posts: 12 - 01/09/2017 13:53:17    2041594

Link

Replying To championshipman:  "Bunbrosna should not have togged out?? How were they to know that balinagores best player couldnt get off work meaning they werent going to show up for a game that was fixed 13days previous.."
you're not really getting this whole story if you think that it was fixed 13 days previous...a lot happened in between.

Did B'gore inform the CB that they would be not be fielding under the grounds that they need 4 days notice? If that's the case the CB should have known its a valid claim and contacted Bun and the officials to tell them it would have to be re-fixed which at that stage would mean in at least 4 days time.

I can understand how both sides are annoyed but don't think either of them done anything wrong... I would have acted the same way...bgore had right to 4 days and Bun were not informed its off so had to show up and tog.

culmor (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 01/09/2017 14:05:07    2041597

Link

Replying To culmor:  "you're not really getting this whole story if you think that it was fixed 13 days previous...a lot happened in between.

Did B'gore inform the CB that they would be not be fielding under the grounds that they need 4 days notice? If that's the case the CB should have known its a valid claim and contacted Bun and the officials to tell them it would have to be re-fixed which at that stage would mean in at least 4 days time.

I can understand how both sides are annoyed but don't think either of them done anything wrong... I would have acted the same way...bgore had right to 4 days and Bun were not informed its off so had to show up and tog."
As for the actual game, I think there's more football in Ballinagore. Bun have only one forward and they have too many miles on the clock, coming to the end of their sell-by date.

dbpcmi (Westmeath) - Posts: 30 - 01/09/2017 14:30:55    2041606

Link

Replying To dbpcmi:  "As for the actual game, I think there's more football in Ballinagore. Bun have only one forward and they have too many miles on the clock, coming to the end of their sell-by date."
I would be inclined to agree with you. Bun are getting older but I still think they will have too much defensive power. They have the lowest conceded amount in all the 3 championships. Forwards is an issue. Saw B'gore twice, McD is obviously a class act but they have a decent midfield and play with a sweeper which is usually Ennis . I actually went to the game the other day to watch it thats why I am so vexed! It would have been a good game.

SookMaBalls (Westmeath) - Posts: 12 - 01/09/2017 14:45:11    2041611

Link

Replying To culmor:  "you're not really getting this whole story if you think that it was fixed 13 days previous...a lot happened in between.

I can understand how both sides are annoyed but don't think either of them done anything wrong... I would have acted the same way...bgore had right to 4 days and Bun were not informed its off so had to show up and tog."
This is a very good point.

If Ballinagore had lodged an appeal and it was valid, why did match officials turn up and play the game, why did the opposition prepare and travel for a championship match and line out at the designated venue at the time that the match had been scheduled for? If this appeal had been lodged and accepted in a timely fashion, then the communication to the officials and Bunbrosna would have been to save such effort, however it appears that this was not the case. In this sense, I stand by my initial point that the county board have shown no backbone in standing by their initial instructions to have had the match played and the points awarded accordingly. If the decision had been made to allow the game to be re-fixed before the throw-in time, then the communication channels within the county board have been shown up to be appalling and not fit for purpose.

Ultimately, it appears that either the county board have made a mess of this or Ballinagore's renegade actions have been fruitful for them and the people losing out are the players and supporters. I can see Ballinagore's frustrations with what materialised but their actions were disrespectful to their opposition, the county board and the Intermediate Championship.

Google (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 01/09/2017 14:46:46    2041612

Link

Really dont see how it is disrespectful from b'gore Google!!
If they were down players due to the late change and their championship is on the line then they are dead right to dig their heels in. Don't want to knock the fixtures committee too much because this years format has been a huge success I think and major improvement for player welfare but they just made a balls of this fixture thats it.

culmor (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 01/09/2017 15:32:03    2041629

Link

Replying To culmor:  "Really dont see how it is disrespectful from b'gore Google!!
If they were down players due to the late change and their championship is on the line then they are dead right to dig their heels in. Don't want to knock the fixtures committee too much because this years format has been a huge success I think and major improvement for player welfare but they just made a balls of this fixture thats it."
Being down players has nothing to do with it. The issue appealed appears to have been due to notice. If this was the case, due respect to the opposition and officials would have involved informing them that they would not be turning up. This at least would have rendered such farcical scenes unnecessary.

This also does beg the question, do other teams who had unfavourable results last weekend have grounds for appeal given that they were also given short notice regarding fixture changes? Are these teams penalised for fulfilling their fixtures despite players, officials and supporters being effected by changes to the fixture list? Why should a team who refuse to turn up because they were missing players (this being the main reason for the no-show) be granted a re-match?

I agree that the fixtures committee have done a solid job this year and should be commended despite this incident. The championship has been very enjoyable to watch and players feedback has been largely good from those I have talked with. I also think that Ballinagore would have taken an aging Bunbrosna side with lots of limitations. My concern however is with the unfairness of this decision on other clubs and the precedence that this sets

Google (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 01/09/2017 16:10:51    2041644

Link

being down players has everything to do with it....they are claiming they are down due to the short notice of change of day. Both clubs would have small squads Im sure bun would have done the same if Saturday evening caused them to be missing players. If other clubs had the same notice and agreed to play without lodging an appeal then they've no case.

culmor (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 01/09/2017 16:52:54    2041654

Link

Replying To culmor:  "being down players has everything to do with it....they are claiming they are down due to the short notice of change of day. Both clubs would have small squads Im sure bun would have done the same if Saturday evening caused them to be missing players. If other clubs had the same notice and agreed to play without lodging an appeal then they've no case."
I'm afraid we are going to have to agree to differ on this one Culmor. I cannot see the fairness of this decision on other clubs involved in fixture changes and I certainly cannot see what Ballinagore did as being the proper course of action.

Fixing a Championship game for 6.30pm of a working evening is also ludacious. Then again I guess it's fortunate that all hurlers and footballers in the county live in Westmeath, plan their weeks around the possibility of gunshot Championship matches and don't work after 5pm........oh wait......

Google (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 01/09/2017 17:54:00    2041670

Link

When do Moate play C/F/C/W ? Surely an easy win for Moate in this one ? Would be terrible for them to go back down to junior.

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 03/09/2017 14:09:41    2042148

Link

I see Ballinagore v Bunbrosna is fixed for tomorrow night !!!

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 04/09/2017 14:01:11    2042552

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "I see Ballinagore v Bunbrosna is fixed for tomorrow night !!!"
6.30 on a Tuesday evening is a terrible time in September in Cusak park. Maybe Kinnegad or St. Lomans for 7.30, they have lights and allow people to come from work.

SookMaBalls (Westmeath) - Posts: 12 - 04/09/2017 14:29:05    2042562

Link

Nice work by balinagore, getting to replay a game that they lost already, i thought once the ref threw in d ball ders no goin back or am i wrong?

championshipman (Westmeath) - Posts: 22 - 04/09/2017 14:37:56    2042564

Link