Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Though Manor are rightfully favourites for the Senior Championship, There's no way that it's a foregone conclusion like it was in the middle of their 4 in a row campaign when they were 4 or 5 points superior than any other team in Leitrim. The big reason they're vulnerable this year is over the last 18 months their razor tight Defence has seen some serious cracks. In last years semis Carrick got a real run of them in the 2nd half and missed 2 open Goals and a penalty before they drew the game level, Only for the referee to miss a blatant free in for Carrick , Before Manor scored their winning point.
Melvin Gaels who were and average side at best, Then dispatched them comprehensively in the Final. Again last weekend in the league they were in serious trouble at the back against an under strength Carrick before scrapping out a narrow win. Manor had all their star men on show Sweeney, Croal, Mc Donald, O'Flynn, glancy, Hickey and McGuire.
The reality is that the much vaunted defence of McGuire, the O'Flynns, Kelly, Mc Donald, Loughlin and the Poinards is no more, With only Paddy McGuire and Ciaran O'Flynn playing at their previous high standards. Up front Glancy still leads the line but Mc Donald is always injured and Croal has gone a long way back. The couple of youngsters who have come in over the last few years won't scare any defence to death.
So there's no reason why the likes of Mohill, Carrick, Aughawillan and maybe even Gortleterragh will give Manor plenty to worry about.
Particularly Carrick with the likes of Michael and Nicholas Mc Weeney, Joe O'Rourke, Clement Cunniffe, Jonathan Cassidy, James Glancy the 2 Lowes and Ray Mulvey will certainly feel that they can gain revenge on Manor for the heart breaking defeats over the last 5 years

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 21/05/2013 16:39:13    1388410

Link

gud man mickey nailin ur colours! u pick n a star forward who shud NT b playin n say hes gone bk? U den proceed hypin ur own stars who hav gone bk demselves!imo a 70% croal is betr dan most .. also u say our youngsters wnt strike fear..at least we hav gud minors able 2 gt n team unlike urselves!

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 21/05/2013 19:08:44    1388545

Link

To PirateHooker ,Everyone rights off Carrick because they've lost 2 very good players in James Mc Grail and david Tiernan to emigration and dermot reynolds has moved on, There's also a misconception that there's no good young players in Carrick, Whereas in fact this year 9 members of our 2010 Minor Championship winning Team will play senior Championship. So the addition of those young players makes us very competitive, Despite the other player losses. As I said Manor are of course hot favourites for the championship. But even Manor people will admit that they are not as invincible as they were betweeen 2009 and 2011

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 21/05/2013 20:02:03    1388584

Link

Prob nt bt wudn hold lst wk as indicator either wer nt 2 pushed yet

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 21/05/2013 20:33:11    1388601

Link

mickyquinn
County: Leitrim Manor have five county players and they all played a match on Saturday evening for the county and played again on Sunday for their club and won the game, so that is answer enough for you and croal and glancy played a major part in the goal they knew what they had to do to win and they are still winning games and that is what it is all about

Smokie (Leitrim) - Posts: 144 - 21/05/2013 21:07:25    1388620

Link

Champinship is 2.35 days away And I have To say I agree with mickyquinn

Manor Are using The same team of forwards And backs with The exception of 4 players since 2008/9

Mohill Will break u der pressure And Are already crumbling

Gortletteragh or willies To pull off a stroke And end Up in a county final v us

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 22/05/2013 09:40:29    1388707

Link

so many keyboard warriors having a go at each other.... almost as entertaining as the games themselves....

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 47 - 22/05/2013 10:30:08    1388744

Link

It's championship time a few months earlier than last year but that's another matter altogether. Who will be knocking around come the semi finals stage?.....
Manor
Carrick
Willies/bors
M.g
That's what I'm thinking could be very like last year.
I know people think the bors are on the way down but come champ their a different team pushed last year county champs all the way!
The willies are a young team and made the semi last year their now a year older.
Manor are hot fav and rightly so their rec over the last 4 to 5 years speaks for it self
M.g are county champs and have a lot of experience in the squad I know they lost mulligan and what a loss any team would miss him but they have a few lads on the county set up I wouldn't rule them out.
Carrick

Therock13 (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 22/05/2013 18:06:42    1389280

Link

Carrick are a good team should of beat mannor last year I think it's now or never for this squad of players.

Therock13 (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 22/05/2013 18:08:45    1389281

Link

Good one Micky

Going through the returns in the chemist again are we?

Given that Mary's probably should have beaten manor last year, for you to go and call Melvin Gaels an average team is sour at best

ball girl (Leitrim) - Posts: 194 - 23/05/2013 10:02:48    1389474

Link

I know I woud have said below average

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 23/05/2013 12:28:36    1389596

Link

Jesus 94allstar...STOP!!! Do you not have a job? Or a life? (though judging by your amount of posts I'm guessing neither). Stop looking to stir up what are frankly tame conversations about footballing matters. I've never heard such drivel come out of someone in my whole life. And learn the where and when capital letters are used (another good indication that you have no job or education). Putting capital letters everywhere like come on! Definitely the most ridiculous and pathetic poster I have ever seen on this forum...

karim_benzema (Leitrim) - Posts: 134 - 23/05/2013 15:34:24    1389799

Link

Nah I'm just a happy out student that knows a lot about My football

Probably more than most people

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 23/05/2013 15:58:20    1389833

Link

Well said benzema, Its clear 94 knows nothing about anything especially football. 2 days untill it all starts for 2013! Its more open this year than before as willies and marys are running manor a lot closer in the leauge than before! can anyone see a repeat of last years final, obviously the two teams could meet before if its an open draw tho! marys look a bit better this year so they could be hard bet this year aswell!!

nunu (Leitrim) - Posts: 81 - 23/05/2013 16:28:16    1389871

Link

F sake lads, will ye all get off 94's back!! Yes he post an awful lot of comments but at least he's saying something, if it wasn't for him there would be nothing to read on this Forum!! He's proved he knows a bit by coming second In the Prediction comp, yes he can be annoying no doubt! but If everyone just saying "MANOR MANOR MANOR" all the time my H*l* would be sickened !!

Familydad89 (Leitrim) - Posts: 32 - 23/05/2013 17:36:43    1389966

Link

F sake lads, will ye all get off 94's back!! Yes he post an awful lot of comments but at least he's saying something, if it wasn't for him there would be nothing to read on this Forum!! He's proved he knows a bit by coming second In the Prediction comp, yes he can be annoying no doubt! but If everyone just saying "MANOR MANOR MANOR" all the time my H*l* would be sickened !!

Familydad89 (Leitrim) - Posts: 32 - 23/05/2013 17:39:49    1389968

Link

manor v annaduff----manor win
st marys v gortlettragh----draw
mohill v kiltubrid----mohill win
carrigallen v Melvin gaels----maelvin gaels win
allen gaels v drumreilly----drumreilly win
aughawillan v bornacoola----aughawillan win

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 198 - 23/05/2013 19:24:23    1390047

Link

Agree with SLM's predictions other than Mary's/Gort game, reckon Mary's will edge it. Otherwise the games are relatively straightforward to predict apart from Drum v Allen, thinking a draw here.

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 23/05/2013 20:20:22    1390084

Link

Fair play To ya family guy89 these politicains don't Like The feathers being ruffled but Come The agm there could be a lot of club And county retirements officails And players

Manor wil be passed this year

Gortletteragh v st marys .......... St marys

Aughawillan v bornacoola.......... aughawillan

Annaduff v manor.......... manor

Melvin geals v carrigallen ..........melvin geals

Mohill v kiltabrid .......... mohill

Drumrielly v allen geals .......... allen geals

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 24/05/2013 09:01:50    1390213

Link

Should be a very interesting SFC this year -

It will be interesting to see if Glencar Manor can bounce back from their blip last year and have the hunger to regain the title. They are the strong favourites and probably rightly so with a very similar panel to last year due to very little losses due to retirements / emigration / injury. They have looked excellent in the league this year and will be hard beaten. They will definitely be in the mix but they will want to avoid St Marys & Melvin Gaels in the knockout stages.

St Marys could be the dark horses this year. If they can steer themselves into a semi final place, they will be hard beaten. They have some good young players coming through replacing the older lads who probably should have been replaced before now. When these lads click they are a very hard stopped team with a good mix of power and speed. If they meet Glencar Manor in the knockout stages this year, I think they will be the team to knock out the favourites.

Gortletteragh will show strongly this year but anybody that thinks the can follow in the footsteps of Melvin Gaels by winning intermediate & senior titles in successive years are fooling themselves. Their league form backs this up with only 3 wins out of 7 games one of these being the struggling Bornacoola. A semi final appearance would be an excellent showing by them this year but a quarter final might be more realistic.

johnmurphy (Sligo) - Posts: 25 - 24/05/2013 12:48:49    1390428

Link