Leitrim Forum

Macdiarmiada Gaels

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can someone explain to me how one of the largest towns and the second largest rural parish can't put out their own underage teams? I see they are putting out 2 teams at u-13 which tells you how farcical the amalgamation is. It smells of 2 clubs that want to win at any cost and it should not be allowed. Those involved should be ashamed. Even Glenfarne put out an u-13 team and fair play to them for it.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 16/02/2019 00:44:22    2165604

Link

Replying To TaytoFoley:  "Can someone explain to me how one of the largest towns and the second largest rural parish can't put out their own underage teams? I see they are putting out 2 teams at u-13 which tells you how farcical the amalgamation is. It smells of 2 clubs that want to win at any cost and it should not be allowed. Those involved should be ashamed. Even Glenfarne put out an u-13 team and fair play to them for it."
Which 2 clubs are at this?

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 139 - 16/02/2019 15:28:28    2165693

Link

Sean O'Heslins and Kiltubrid

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 16/02/2019 17:35:55    2165731

Link

It absolutely shouldnt be allowed...i think two clubs should only come together if they are struggling for numbers and i suspect this isnt the case.

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 16/02/2019 23:13:37    2165819

Link

It's a complete and utter farce

Heatwae (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 16/02/2019 23:29:18    2165823

Link

Replying To TaytoFoley:  "Can someone explain to me how one of the largest towns and the second largest rural parish can't put out their own underage teams? I see they are putting out 2 teams at u-13 which tells you how farcical the amalgamation is. It smells of 2 clubs that want to win at any cost and it should not be allowed. Those involved should be ashamed. Even Glenfarne put out an u-13 team and fair play to them for it."
Agreed, heard Ballinamore had over 20 at all levels, parents had meeting over 80 attended , didn't make a difference , ignored by club, win at all costs mentality, lots of kids stopped playing some transferred and some coaches quit , all down to two individuals

Leitrimtothebone (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 17/02/2019 12:04:33    2165850

Link

Ballinamore had only 10 players togged out for Sean MacDiarmada Gaels over the weekend that all the players they have.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 248 - 18/02/2019 08:31:55    2166041

Link

I actually think it's a good idea as they are putting out 2 teams. It means that every single player will get football from both clubs. As they will need 26 players to fulfill the 2 games. I suspect they will be very strong in the A side which will improve the standard of the better players. While the 2nd team players will be sure of a game. Bigger squad numbers means better trainings as you can play full games each night at training. I think it makes perfect sense.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 135 - 18/02/2019 09:42:09    2166060

Link

only way to change it is bye laws

Look at the amalgamations down the years

Sheemore, Gaels, Manachans, St Francis, St Brigid's there have been plenty

positive is 2 teams being put out and caters for both clubs

manchesterbhoy (UK) - Posts: 10 - 19/02/2019 11:22:30    2166317

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I actually think it's a good idea as they are putting out 2 teams. It means that every single player will get football from both clubs. As they will need 26 players to fulfill the 2 games. I suspect they will be very strong in the A side which will improve the standard of the better players. While the 2nd team players will be sure of a game. Bigger squad numbers means better trainings as you can play full games each night at training. I think it makes perfect sense."
So are you telling me that if St Mary's and Mohill amalgamate and put out 2/3 teams that should be allowed. It's a complete farce and from what I hear there's a few individuals from both clubs driving this. Win at all costs is not the way it should be. Shame on both clubs for allowing it to happen. Other amalgations have been mentioned ib this forum but the smaller clubs are genuinely struggling for numbers.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 20/02/2019 00:23:59    2166483

Link

Replying To TaytoFoley:  "So are you telling me that if St Mary's and Mohill amalgamate and put out 2/3 teams that should be allowed. It's a complete farce and from what I hear there's a few individuals from both clubs driving this. Win at all costs is not the way it should be. Shame on both clubs for allowing it to happen. Other amalgations have been mentioned ib this forum but the smaller clubs are genuinely struggling for numbers."
read my previous message Ballinamore have 10 - U13 players. stop listening to idle gossip. look at the pictures on their facebook page to see exactly how many players togged out for them from both clubs - 21 players in total from 2 clubs and all those players played full games over the weekend. you can't deny thats a positive. thats the reality of the numbers game in the county at the moment.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 248 - 20/02/2019 09:40:42    2166503

Link

Our year
Can you give a genuine honest explanation why SOH were allowed drop from 15 a side league to 13 a side championship u13 last year. And no, not having numbers for 15 a side or relegation are valid reasons.

Fantastic1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 20/02/2019 19:42:17    2166659

Link

Replying To Fantastic1:  "Our year
Can you give a genuine honest explanation why SOH were allowed drop from 15 a side league to 13 a side championship u13 last year. And no, not having numbers for 15 a side or relegation are valid reasons."
Actually spoke to one of the mothers who have children playing at u13 and u17 last night, fact - Ballinamore had numbers at all grades, will struggle at u13 from next year on and needed to join forces , refused to ask Fenagh and refused to ask aughawillan and aughnasheelin , Kiltubrid can't field at u17 , story given to Ballinamore parents was kiltubrid put gun to their head , story given to kilbubrid parents was Ballinamore put gun to their head , fun will really begin at u15 when their are over 40 players , but best of all is that some players are allowed to play at two different age groups because they want to win , even though it was said that this wouldn't happen , told that two ring leaders involved and all about winning, I read about Ballinamore having only ten players on show at weekend, she said was at both matches and Ballinamore had 13 at each and where missing 4 from Saturday and 5 from Sunday games ,

Leitrimtothebone (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 20/02/2019 20:59:21    2166678

Link

Replying To TaytoFoley:  "So are you telling me that if St Mary's and Mohill amalgamate and put out 2/3 teams that should be allowed. It's a complete farce and from what I hear there's a few individuals from both clubs driving this. Win at all costs is not the way it should be. Shame on both clubs for allowing it to happen. Other amalgations have been mentioned ib this forum but the smaller clubs are genuinely struggling for numbers."
I don't think you can compare kiltubrid and SOH to Mohil and Mary's. Kiltubrid are a small rural club joining up with SOH. Have you an issue with Mohil cloone and Eslin forming together?
The reality of it is kiltubrid and SOH will be very competitive in the A competitions and will improve the better players in both clubs and the weaker player will also be getting games instead of sitting on the sideline. This will improve every player from both clubs. I say well done to them and other clubs should follow suit.
The divisional games at u13 level last year were mighty and a great final took place in cloone. More of that is needed and this is the first step in that direction.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 135 - 20/02/2019 23:42:08    2166707

Link

Replying To Leitrimtothebone:  "Actually spoke to one of the mothers who have children playing at u13 and u17 last night, fact - Ballinamore had numbers at all grades, will struggle at u13 from next year on and needed to join forces , refused to ask Fenagh and refused to ask aughawillan and aughnasheelin , Kiltubrid can't field at u17 , story given to Ballinamore parents was kiltubrid put gun to their head , story given to kilbubrid parents was Ballinamore put gun to their head , fun will really begin at u15 when their are over 40 players , but best of all is that some players are allowed to play at two different age groups because they want to win , even though it was said that this wouldn't happen , told that two ring leaders involved and all about winning, I read about Ballinamore having only ten players on show at weekend, she said was at both matches and Ballinamore had 13 at each and where missing 4 from Saturday and 5 from Sunday games ,"
incorrect information, I'm not sure where this mother is pulling her figures from but on Saturday ballinamore had 9 players togged out with 1 player unavailable, for the second game on sunday ballinamore had 4 players togged out with 6 players unavailable. I too was at the matches. that's factual figures. ask the mother to look at the pictures and count them. also ask her did her sons get lots of game time. that's the most important part, I bet if she answered truthfully she would say they did, so everyone is benefiting from playing and that's what its all about. not so sure about guns put to anyones head, but they amalgamated last year for an U12 cross county league playing games in Longford, and this was a major success. maybe you should go to the games yourself and see how much the boys enjoy it and how much game time they ALL get.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 248 - 21/02/2019 10:05:45    2166726

Link

Replying To Fantastic1:  "Our year
Can you give a genuine honest explanation why SOH were allowed drop from 15 a side league to 13 a side championship u13 last year. And no, not having numbers for 15 a side or relegation are valid reasons."
you'd have to ask the county board about that, they sanctioned it.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 248 - 21/02/2019 10:07:36    2166727

Link

Look there's pro's and Con's to every amalgamation. This one seems to have gone down particularly badly within the SOH club. It's obvious that certain posters on here are from that club and are getting personal with some of the club members involved in the process. They need to ask themselves is it really worthwhile airing their dirty washing in public? We have seen how internal rows in other clubs within the county in the last few years have gotten out of hand and don't need to be repeated.

To be honest with the numbers in many Leitrim clubs Amalgamations are going to become more common and I do think it's the way forward id conducted in the right manner and for the right reasons. I would even argue for a senior championship similar to Kerry but that's a whole new story.

The only problem I have is that these decisions are being left solely to the clubs themselves. The County board need to take some responsibility and conduct a review/report and see what amalgamations are needed going forward. They then need to appoint an outside person from any of the clubs involved to oversee the practicalities once the amalgamation is agreed tot take away any bias or one club bullying the other etc etc.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 136 - 21/02/2019 10:18:56    2166730

Link

The optics in this are not good and discredit the whole amalgamation idea which is necessary in many cases. Two clubs who are mismatched in terms of numbers, who don't even border each other and where there was widespread internal discontent (particularly in Ballinamore).

It seems that Kiltubrid had to seek an amalgamation partner for the obvious reason but why Ballinamore? Bmore surely have adequate numbers in most age grades (the advocates of MacD Gaels can indeed argue that Bmore have less than 15 on the various squads but I'm sure if they remained independent they'd have dragged the numbers from somewhere - they just mightn't be a top team in a particular year). Wouldn't neighbouring Fenagh, Leitrim Gaels or even another rural club further away like Annaduff be a better fit for Kiltubrid? Even Allen Gaels, albeit a large town club at least border Kiltubrid and I'd say most of the Kiltubrid lads go to school there.

OntheBank is correct in saying that the amalgamation process should be driven from the top down, perhaps even regionalise the rural areas long term. It would avoid these situations where individuals drive these strange amalgamations for whatever reason which are then presented as a fait accompli to the club membership.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 21/02/2019 15:56:29    2166802

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I don't think you can compare kiltubrid and SOH to Mohil and Mary's. Kiltubrid are a small rural club joining up with SOH. Have you an issue with Mohil cloone and Eslin forming together?
The reality of it is kiltubrid and SOH will be very competitive in the A competitions and will improve the better players in both clubs and the weaker player will also be getting games instead of sitting on the sideline. This will improve every player from both clubs. I say well done to them and other clubs should follow suit.
The divisional games at u13 level last year were mighty and a great final took place in cloone. More of that is needed and this is the first step in that direction."
Kiltubrid a small rural club?? Who is feeding you your information? Kiltubrid is the 2nd largest parish in leitrim behind gortlettragh. They have always had plenty of numbers and even if they are tight for numbers , theres no need for them joining a club with plenty of numbers and should not be allowed.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 23/02/2019 22:31:33    2167329

Link

Gortlettragh is the largest parish in county!!
I would think Melvin Gaels is the largest parish geographical.
From Tullaghan to glenade/ manorhamilton border approximately 12 miles.
From Tullaghan to Rossinver approximately 15 miles.
From Tullaghan to Ballintrillick in Sligo which is also in parish Approximately 10/12 miles.
And from Glenade to the Bundoran parish approximately 12 miles.
And from Ballintrillick to Rossinver approx 18 miles.
These are all in different directions.
Make that up and I would think Melvin Gaels is the biggest

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 27 - 26/02/2019 10:47:56    2168270

Link