Leitrim Forum

County Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can we all stop listening to this Rubbish about Keith Beirne! A new Roscommon manager was never going to court bad publicity from the off by getting a player in from Leitrim. Anyway, Keith has played for Leitrim for the last few years when things are as bad as they've ever been he was never not going to play this year just when things look like they are on the up. He was one of the top scorers in Div 4 in 2018 but at the same time he will be under pressure for his place this year with the likes of the Plunketts and Shane Moran re-joining the set up. Which is a good thing no one should be guaranteed a start.

Can we be positive for one moment and forget all these lies, Just look the profile of the player we have coming through

Ryan O'Rourke, Mark Plunkett, Keith Beirne, Pearce Dolan, Darragh Rooney, Dean McGovern, Cillian McGloin, Conor Cullen, Jack Heslin, Fergal McTague, Oisin Madden, Jack Gilheany, Aaron Hoare, Niall McGovern
That's 14 players who in my eyes are the future of Leitrim football. All of them are 23 or under and they've all played inter- county football already. If these players can be developed and nurtured correctly and infuse them with some of the older more experienced players that we have then we have the back bone of our team for the next 6 years.

As Leitrim fans we are nearly trained to think we are not good enough but there's no reason why we can't compete and at the very least get out of Div 4 and progress by playing better teams in Div 3. Hopefully the supporters embrace this new set up and come out and support them again.
The introduction of outside managers and better standards at club level should also mean that even younger player should be coming into the set up with a better base level of skills as well which is significant.

Finally we are seeing shoots of something to be optimistic about!

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 12/12/2018 13:56:15    2154087

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Can we all stop listening to this Rubbish about Keith Beirne! A new Roscommon manager was never going to court bad publicity from the off by getting a player in from Leitrim. Anyway, Keith has played for Leitrim for the last few years when things are as bad as they've ever been he was never not going to play this year just when things look like they are on the up. He was one of the top scorers in Div 4 in 2018 but at the same time he will be under pressure for his place this year with the likes of the Plunketts and Shane Moran re-joining the set up. Which is a good thing no one should be guaranteed a start.

Can we be positive for one moment and forget all these lies, Just look the profile of the player we have coming through

Ryan O'Rourke, Mark Plunkett, Keith Beirne, Pearce Dolan, Darragh Rooney, Dean McGovern, Cillian McGloin, Conor Cullen, Jack Heslin, Fergal McTague, Oisin Madden, Jack Gilheany, Aaron Hoare, Niall McGovern
That's 14 players who in my eyes are the future of Leitrim football. All of them are 23 or under and they've all played inter- county football already. If these players can be developed and nurtured correctly and infuse them with some of the older more experienced players that we have then we have the back bone of our team for the next 6 years.

As Leitrim fans we are nearly trained to think we are not good enough but there's no reason why we can't compete and at the very least get out of Div 4 and progress by playing better teams in Div 3. Hopefully the supporters embrace this new set up and come out and support them again.
The introduction of outside managers and better standards at club level should also mean that even younger player should be coming into the set up with a better base level of skills as well which is significant.

Finally we are seeing shoots of something to be optimistic about!"
Happy to hear it's all rumours because don't agree with players moving county especially when it's so close..amazing how these things start

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 562 - 12/12/2018 15:39:53    2154101

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Happy to hear it's all rumours because don't agree with players moving county especially when it's so close..amazing how these things start"
As a long term and established poster The_analyser isn't one to spread untrue rumours and he broke the news about Conor Cox 2 weeks before it became public news.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 238 - 12/12/2018 18:22:37    2154124

Link

There was talk a few weeks ago of Chris Guckian from St. Judes in Dublin joining the panel, any update on this?

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 14/12/2018 16:01:58    2154291

Link

Keith has trained with Roscommon. Whether this all leads to him getting a transfer remains to be seen but he has trained with them

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 17/12/2018 12:54:20    2154485

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "Keith has trained with Roscommon. Whether this all leads to him getting a transfer remains to be seen but he has trained with them"
Don't believe the truth

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 18/12/2018 18:51:45    2154651

Link

We played Monaghan in a challenge in the last few days and lost out by a narrow margin. It's only a challenge and god knows what team Monaghan had out but it will instill belief in the team that they can compete with good teams.

Losing Donal Wrynn is a massive loss. His experience and attitude alone were huge. I think he could have moved to full back and then Fergal McTague into the corner. Centre back is still an issue I don't think it's our preferred option but we might have to move Shane Quinn into number 6. If the rumours of Chris Guckian or Thomas Quinn were true this would strengthen our team tenfold as either of them can play 6 but it looks like it has come to nothing.

Could we move Jack Heslin back to 7 and bring in Cillian McGloin as a wing forward??? Would Heslin be strong enough defensively for inter-county football in that position? Otherwise we are going to need one of Sean McWeeney, Conor Farrell or even Ray Mulvey to start in the half back line.

The Goalkeeping position is another quandary would be harsh on McKiernan as he was brilliant last year but Flynns Kickouts are arguably better.

The guaranteed starters I can pick for the first league game are:
Paddy Maguire
Michael McWeeney
Fergal McTague
Shane Quinn
Pearce Dolan
Ryan O'Rourke
Shane Moran
Mark Plunkett
Jack Heslin
Gary Plunkett

I can't decide what way I would go with in the forwards as it's so tight between a good few of them. Are we missing a reliable free taker without Keith Beirne?? Does that increase Emlyn's chances?

This is the first time in Donkeys years I'm excited about the new year as a Leitrim fan

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 20/12/2018 12:33:53    2154814

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "We played Monaghan in a challenge in the last few days and lost out by a narrow margin. It's only a challenge and god knows what team Monaghan had out but it will instill belief in the team that they can compete with good teams.

Losing Donal Wrynn is a massive loss. His experience and attitude alone were huge. I think he could have moved to full back and then Fergal McTague into the corner. Centre back is still an issue I don't think it's our preferred option but we might have to move Shane Quinn into number 6. If the rumours of Chris Guckian or Thomas Quinn were true this would strengthen our team tenfold as either of them can play 6 but it looks like it has come to nothing.

Could we move Jack Heslin back to 7 and bring in Cillian McGloin as a wing forward??? Would Heslin be strong enough defensively for inter-county football in that position? Otherwise we are going to need one of Sean McWeeney, Conor Farrell or even Ray Mulvey to start in the half back line.

The Goalkeeping position is another quandary would be harsh on McKiernan as he was brilliant last year but Flynns Kickouts are arguably better.

The guaranteed starters I can pick for the first league game are:
Paddy Maguire
Michael McWeeney
Fergal McTague
Shane Quinn
Pearce Dolan
Ryan O'Rourke
Shane Moran
Mark Plunkett
Jack Heslin
Gary Plunkett

I can't decide what way I would go with in the forwards as it's so tight between a good few of them. Are we missing a reliable free taker without Keith Beirne?? Does that increase Emlyn's chances?

This is the first time in Donkeys years I'm excited about the new year as a Leitrim fan"
hardly a quandry regarding the goalkeeper situation. McKiernan has to be number 1, no doubt.

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 20/12/2018 15:57:03    2154837

Link

Here are the main things I feel need to be decided by the first league game.

1. Who will be our Goalkeeper = Diarmuid McKiernan has improved significantly in the last few years. He is a big presence and has even added kicking long range frees for Allen Gaels, can suffer from the occasional clanger though. Benny Flynn is the only other competitor, his kick outs are better in my view and I think he might really push McKiernan if he has the right attitude.

2. The full back position = Has been a serious problem now for a long time. At the beginning of the year I would have said to put and leave Donal Wrynn there and let him develop but it looks like he will not be rejoining the panel which is a disaster. Fergal McTague seems to be perfect solution to this problem; he is very raw but has been in sensational form for the Willies. If Hyland can smooth some of his ruff edges than I think he can be the solution. Other than that it looks like Paddy Maguire is our only other realistic option.

3. The Centre Back position = This is the team's main problem. We haven't had one for years. Do we rob Peter to pay Paul and either put Paddy Maguire or Shane Quinn in here? Would solve the situation but weaken other areas. Other than that I don't see who else on the current panel can fill this position adequately. Has been a constant weak point in our team since Gary Reynolds form plummeted. Personally felt Barry McWeeney should have been positioned here over the last few years but he is too old to be starting with a new regime. The biggest frustration is that a Leitrim man is starting at no.6 for Donegal. I don't see a ready-made solution on this one. If Chris Guckian or Thomas Quinn join up then they could be the answer. Conor Farrell could be an option but I feel he might struggle for mobility here. Sean McWeeney could also come into the frame

4. Midfield = I personally think Pearce Dolan is guaranteed a midfield place, with his height and calmness on the ball he would be a great addition compared to what we have had in the last few years. The introduction of the Mark rule in the last year should suit him down to the ground. He does need to put on some timber so that he is not pushed around. The other position is the problem, I feel it is Dean McGoverns to loose but his conditioning will have had to have improved over the winter. No doubt that he has the talent though. Is Jack Gilheany on this level yet?

5. Where to play Mark Plunkett (same applies to Shane Moran) = Him and Benny didn't seem to be a good fit and along with injuries we haven't seen the best of him at senior inter-county as of yet. I feel he is captain material as he has shown with Leitrim underage squads. Where best to play him is the question. I didn't think midfield suited him against Roscommon last year but it was hard to judge as he was late on to the panel and then gone again. I think he is better suited to be played on the half forward line and he can then drop deep into midfield and become another option for Kickouts. His tackling is also very good and he would be a scoring outlet aswell.

6. How to keep our forwards happy = This will be the most interesting part of Terry's tenure. In my years of Leitrim football I've never seen such an amount of high quality forwards at Leitrims disposal. After last year you would have said that Damien Moran would have to be a starter but now looking at the options available I'm not sure he even gets to be an impact sub. Shane Moran, Ray Mulvey and Gary Plunkett have all rejoined the panel. Moran in particular during the club championship looked to be in the best shape he's been in in a long time and I suspect his ability in the air will make him a guaranteed starter with the new rules. Gary Plunkett seems to have also gone onto a new level with his form for the Willies. Does Emlyn Mulligan start? I can't see how he will be anything other than an impact sub when the game opens up near the end. Keith Beirne? God knows what is happening there… was one of the top scorers in Division 4 last year and we can't afford to not have him on the panel. Ryan O'Rourke to me is the key, he has raw ability to roast any defender on his day and if he stays injury free is a guaranteed starter. How they utilise Jack Heslin will be one to keep an eye on, against even a team like Monaghan he looked like he had the world at his feet when he was running at the defence. He needs more consistency and a run of games I think. Cillian McGloin and Darragh Rooney also have a crazy amount of potential although to me Rooney looked a small bit fatigued at times this year but he seems to have regained his form for DCU as he has been starting for them at 11 which not to many Leitrim players have done in the past. If Conor Cullen is fit he also has the raw potential to look for either a midfield or wing forward position. Is Brendan Gallagher still on the panel? To me I couldn't understand the amount of value that Benny placed on him but infairness he was always very steady and made the Dublin club stars team this year. The bolters might be Conor Gaffney, Sean Flanagan or Domhnail Flynn.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 21/12/2018 11:51:39    2154906

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Here are the main things I feel need to be decided by the first league game.

1. Who will be our Goalkeeper = Diarmuid McKiernan has improved significantly in the last few years. He is a big presence and has even added kicking long range frees for Allen Gaels, can suffer from the occasional clanger though. Benny Flynn is the only other competitor, his kick outs are better in my view and I think he might really push McKiernan if he has the right attitude.

2. The full back position = Has been a serious problem now for a long time. At the beginning of the year I would have said to put and leave Donal Wrynn there and let him develop but it looks like he will not be rejoining the panel which is a disaster. Fergal McTague seems to be perfect solution to this problem; he is very raw but has been in sensational form for the Willies. If Hyland can smooth some of his ruff edges than I think he can be the solution. Other than that it looks like Paddy Maguire is our only other realistic option.

3. The Centre Back position = This is the team's main problem. We haven't had one for years. Do we rob Peter to pay Paul and either put Paddy Maguire or Shane Quinn in here? Would solve the situation but weaken other areas. Other than that I don't see who else on the current panel can fill this position adequately. Has been a constant weak point in our team since Gary Reynolds form plummeted. Personally felt Barry McWeeney should have been positioned here over the last few years but he is too old to be starting with a new regime. The biggest frustration is that a Leitrim man is starting at no.6 for Donegal. I don't see a ready-made solution on this one. If Chris Guckian or Thomas Quinn join up then they could be the answer. Conor Farrell could be an option but I feel he might struggle for mobility here. Sean McWeeney could also come into the frame

4. Midfield = I personally think Pearce Dolan is guaranteed a midfield place, with his height and calmness on the ball he would be a great addition compared to what we have had in the last few years. The introduction of the Mark rule in the last year should suit him down to the ground. He does need to put on some timber so that he is not pushed around. The other position is the problem, I feel it is Dean McGoverns to loose but his conditioning will have had to have improved over the winter. No doubt that he has the talent though. Is Jack Gilheany on this level yet?

5. Where to play Mark Plunkett (same applies to Shane Moran) = Him and Benny didn't seem to be a good fit and along with injuries we haven't seen the best of him at senior inter-county as of yet. I feel he is captain material as he has shown with Leitrim underage squads. Where best to play him is the question. I didn't think midfield suited him against Roscommon last year but it was hard to judge as he was late on to the panel and then gone again. I think he is better suited to be played on the half forward line and he can then drop deep into midfield and become another option for Kickouts. His tackling is also very good and he would be a scoring outlet aswell.

6. How to keep our forwards happy = This will be the most interesting part of Terry's tenure. In my years of Leitrim football I've never seen such an amount of high quality forwards at Leitrims disposal. After last year you would have said that Damien Moran would have to be a starter but now looking at the options available I'm not sure he even gets to be an impact sub. Shane Moran, Ray Mulvey and Gary Plunkett have all rejoined the panel. Moran in particular during the club championship looked to be in the best shape he's been in in a long time and I suspect his ability in the air will make him a guaranteed starter with the new rules. Gary Plunkett seems to have also gone onto a new level with his form for the Willies. Does Emlyn Mulligan start? I can't see how he will be anything other than an impact sub when the game opens up near the end. Keith Beirne? God knows what is happening there… was one of the top scorers in Division 4 last year and we can't afford to not have him on the panel. Ryan O'Rourke to me is the key, he has raw ability to roast any defender on his day and if he stays injury free is a guaranteed starter. How they utilise Jack Heslin will be one to keep an eye on, against even a team like Monaghan he looked like he had the world at his feet when he was running at the defence. He needs more consistency and a run of games I think. Cillian McGloin and Darragh Rooney also have a crazy amount of potential although to me Rooney looked a small bit fatigued at times this year but he seems to have regained his form for DCU as he has been starting for them at 11 which not to many Leitrim players have done in the past. If Conor Cullen is fit he also has the raw potential to look for either a midfield or wing forward position. Is Brendan Gallagher still on the panel? To me I couldn't understand the amount of value that Benny placed on him but infairness he was always very steady and made the Dublin club stars team this year. The bolters might be Conor Gaffney, Sean Flanagan or Domhnail Flynn."
I have to disagree with you re: Damien Moran. I would have him on the team sheet first as he is one of the few men in Leitrim who is capable of scoring a point from 40-50 yards out as he proved it against Rossies and Louth.
Of all the players you have mentioned we will continue to struggle at midfield again this year as our guys are too light weight . we need a Chris Carrol/Gary McCluskey type player who has an engine to run all day, of all the players you mentioned above no one would fill me with confidence.
Leitrim abu

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 21/12/2018 20:02:00    2154953

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "I have to disagree with you re: Damien Moran. I would have him on the team sheet first as he is one of the few men in Leitrim who is capable of scoring a point from 40-50 yards out as he proved it against Rossies and Louth.
Of all the players you have mentioned we will continue to struggle at midfield again this year as our guys are too light weight . we need a Chris Carrol/Gary McCluskey type player who has an engine to run all day, of all the players you mentioned above no one would fill me with confidence.
Leitrim abu"
Christopher Carroll and Gary McCloskey - man those guys were real men whereas we seem to have boys midfield for us since - I would have backed those guys against any midfield pairing in connacht and they would have come out on top, they were like real grown experienced men yet still in their mid 20's if that makes sense, I stead of what we have had lately- boys who r delicate!!!

Christopher Carroll- we need lads like him back in a Leitrim jersey

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 22/12/2018 22:33:30    2155033

Link

After training for a few weeks with us there is now Issues over Keith Beirne's transfer so it looks more than likely that he won't be playing for Roscommon next year now.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2509 - 26/12/2018 14:51:20    2155124

Link

I am looking forward to 2019 with confidence.I hear the vibes from training are very good and this is encouraging.

We also need to be patient as the now famous Carlow rising took two years to get out of Division 4.

The only setback I see is the rumblings regarding Keith Beirne.Like most Leitrim supporters I didn't believe the story when I heard it first.It just seemed to be incredible that at this time of our development one of our leading forwards who is a key player for his native club would up sticks and try to go playing with Roscommon!!.According to the Roscommon forum their supporters do not think it is a good idea either.Lets hope all Leitrim parties involved will get together and sort out what ever difficulties there are and ensure Keith stays with Mohill and Leitrim.

Our first competitive match is against Mayo in the FBD league on Sunday week Jan 6th.I hear there is a big interest in this game in Mayo as it is there first competitive outing since James Horan returned and a big foowing is likely to make it to Carrick if the weather is good.

Finally I wish Terry Hyland ,backroom team and the panel the best of luck in the year ahead.There is a great pride in our small county and great support for our players who make great sacrifices to play for Leitrim.I hope we can return to the energy and excitement which flowed after New York and the Louth qualifer game on a sustained basis.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 27/12/2018 11:50:23    2155146

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "After training for a few weeks with us there is now Issues over Keith Beirne's transfer so it looks more than likely that he won't be playing for Roscommon next year now."
Do you know what Roscommon club he was planning on going to? The whole thing seems bizarre to me. Doubtful he'll come back to us if he's been trying to get away

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 28/12/2018 10:15:49    2155176

Link

Regarding Donal Wrynn is he still unavailable for 2019?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 28/12/2018 10:33:59    2155179

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Do you know what Roscommon club he was planning on going to? The whole thing seems bizarre to me. Doubtful he'll come back to us if he's been trying to get away"
A few clubs close to the Leitrim border was interested. He's got a good few weeks of hard training under Cunningham so could well be a player to hit the ground running. Seanie Johnson transfer was more bizarre and he ended up playing for Cavan again after his spell with Kildare.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2509 - 28/12/2018 22:48:36    2155217

Link

So the first game of Terry Hylands era is on Sunday. I know it's effectively a glorified challenge game but I'm looking forward to see what we can produce. For once we are going in to a year talking about what players have committed instead of those (apart from Wrynn) who have left the panel. From what I have heard the training that the management team have put in place is of a way better standard to what has been on offer with the last 3 or four managers. We have beaten Westmeath in a challenge game and ran Monaghan close. I expect there will be a massive Mayo crowd in Pairc Sean on Sunday to see James Horans first game so hopefully the Leitrim fans come out in force.

From what I've heard from the selections we have put out so far I expect our team to be something similar to this:

Benny Flynn
Oisin Madden Fergal McTague Michael McWeeney
Ray Mulvey Paddy Maguire Shane Quinn
Mark Plunkett
Shane Moran
Pearce Dolan Darragh Rooney Jack Heslin
Ryan O'Rourke Gary Plunkett Emlyn Mulligan

Moran has been playing at midfield which is a surprise to me when I seen the impact he made for Ballinamore at Midfield but we will see how it goes. Now there will probably be a few changes to that maybe Conor Farrell at Centre back or Oisin McCaffery, Conor Reynolds or Sean McWeeney somewhere else in the back line. I'd also like to get a look at Jack Gilheany and Cillian McGloin at this level. Best of luck to all the lads and management in beginning the new year. If the team does indeed line out close to this it would be around 6 players who will be starting that were not on the panel at this stage last year.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 03/01/2019 12:40:25    2155541

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "So the first game of Terry Hylands era is on Sunday. I know it's effectively a glorified challenge game but I'm looking forward to see what we can produce. For once we are going in to a year talking about what players have committed instead of those (apart from Wrynn) who have left the panel. From what I have heard the training that the management team have put in place is of a way better standard to what has been on offer with the last 3 or four managers. We have beaten Westmeath in a challenge game and ran Monaghan close. I expect there will be a massive Mayo crowd in Pairc Sean on Sunday to see James Horans first game so hopefully the Leitrim fans come out in force.

From what I've heard from the selections we have put out so far I expect our team to be something similar to this:

Benny Flynn
Oisin Madden Fergal McTague Michael McWeeney
Ray Mulvey Paddy Maguire Shane Quinn
Mark Plunkett
Shane Moran
Pearce Dolan Darragh Rooney Jack Heslin
Ryan O'Rourke Gary Plunkett Emlyn Mulligan

Moran has been playing at midfield which is a surprise to me when I seen the impact he made for Ballinamore at Midfield but we will see how it goes. Now there will probably be a few changes to that maybe Conor Farrell at Centre back or Oisin McCaffery, Conor Reynolds or Sean McWeeney somewhere else in the back line. I'd also like to get a look at Jack Gilheany and Cillian McGloin at this level. Best of luck to all the lads and management in beginning the new year. If the team does indeed line out close to this it would be around 6 players who will be starting that were not on the panel at this stage last year."
flynn no longer on the panel from what i hear

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 03/01/2019 13:46:28    2155551

Link

Yeah I've also heard that Benny Flynn is gone, which is a disaster as if McKiernan gets injured we will be in huge trouble. I think Maxwell from Ballinamore in the third choice keeper, which even though he is talented is worrying as he is third or fourth choice for his own club. Looking forward to Sunday to see how we cope with Mayo. I would say there will be lots of changes throughout the game or in the final third. But I would also view it as a chance to start building momentum as we are only three weeks out from our first league game. One thing we now have is players well able to field their own ball which is encouraging as I felt at times we have been pushed around in the last few years. I've also heard that it looks like we will be using Mark Plunkett and Moran as our midfield with Pearce Dolan as a Third Midfielder. Where does this leave Dean McGovern? I think he could work somewhere in the halfback line if he had the required fitness levels. Any word on the Keith Beirne situation? If Moran is being looked at as a midfielder than it is even more crucial that he is coaxed back in for the No 14 position as he is also a brilliant free taker where we might struggle for this role if Emlyn doesn't gain a starting role. Hopefully we see a glimmer of what is to come on Sunday, nobody is expecting miracles this early on though.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 03/01/2019 14:55:18    2155560

Link

Team v Mayo

LEITRIM: Diarmuid McKiernan, Paddy Maguire, Fergal McTague, Michael McWeeney, Conor Reynolds, Ray Mulvey, Shane Quinn, Dean McGovern, Mark Plunkett, Sean McWeeney, Cillian McGloin, Jack Heslin, Evan Sweeney, Pearce Dolan, Domhnaill Flynn

Not expecting much in terms of the result considering the mayo team named but would like to see our lads have a cut.
Delighted to see Ray Mulvey back, McTague well deserving of his shot at full back. It is an interesting selection. Thought Shane Moran might be in full forward and Pearce out the field further.McGloin and Heslin are exciting especially with the way they progressed last year.
Hoping for an encouraging start to the year on Sunday and from there build on it.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 04/01/2019 23:26:07    2155709

Link