Leitrim Forum

County Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Enjoyed the positivity in that last post. I might not agree with all of the selections but in the main if all them players commit we are looking up. The age profile is something that Terry H must be impressed with.

Most exciting time in 20 years to be a Leitrim supporter in my view. New management team that we could only have dreamed of in the last 10 years. A young group of attack minded players who have huge potential to develop.

Yet then we have our most high profile player in Emlyn Mulligan who has been at every media possible in the past few weeks putting a downer on everything. He attended the draw for the Connacht championship where we could only draw Sligo, Mayo, Galway or Roscommon and we drew Roscommon. In my view the second best result we could have hoped for. He then proceeds to attempt to gain as much publicity as possible by stating his dismay with this. Would he have preferred to have drawn Mayo or Galway? Why go to the event if you are just going to be negative about your own county straight away. Terry Hyland and the rest of the players must have been fuming with him.

I understand his overall point but he knows the structures are not going to be changed for next year yet still uses his 'status' for negativity. All he had to say was 'our focus is on Division 4 and we will worry about Ross later on in the year'. I would imagine most of the younger players will have a complete contrasting view of things and will only relish the challenge.

Genuine question and when you consider the new rules with the 'attacking Mark' and the pace of the current game does Emlyn on current form get into the Leitrim starting line up next year? I know he was only coming back from another serious knee injury this year but on his form does he get in a forward line that will feature Ryan O'Rourke, Gary Plunkett, Jack Heslin, Shane Moran, Keith Beirne, Mark Plunkett, Darragh Rooney, Cillian McGloin and Niall McGovern? I can't see how he does. Now I do believe he has been our top player in god knows how long especially when you consider the torture with his injuries but I can't see any way in that he won't be an impact sub especially with that attitude.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 22/10/2018 14:39:10    2147697

Link

Lots of media work to be got post retirement I would expect Emlyn is in part building a profile for himself and good on him.

He's given plenty and done three ACL's in the service of Leitrim Football.

Would have little / no qualms with anyone named on that extended list there in an earlier post, in fact there's been a few overlooked.

Easy to see some lads named there will not be able to commit to Leitrim football going forward owing to work and other sporting committments.

I would'nt be surprised if the vast majority of those named have been attending trials in recent weeks.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 22/10/2018 20:47:16    2147775

Link

There were a few poor club footballers on that list but don't even play for their clubs in the backs/forwards. Thankfully the names that have been brought in seem to be the right fit. Getting Pearce, Conor Cullen, Keith Beirne and a few others to commit properly is the biggest challenge new management have and if they do they really are on the front foot for reenergising the county team.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 23/10/2018 00:39:12    2147817

Link

Agree with everything that was said about Mulligan and more.
Using that list of players from the previous posters which I would agree bar one or two but that always going to be the way. If they all commit we could have a serious belt at getting to the Division Four final in my eyes.
In theory and if all these men commit have we ever had such depth in the forward unit? To highlight this I'm going to pick 2 teams from that list.

Diarmuid McKiernan (24)
Paddy Maguire (28) Donal Wrynn (24)Michael McWeeeney (26)
Paul Brennan (29) Tom Quinn (23)Shane Quinn (24)
Dean McGovern (22) Pearce Dolan (21)
Jack Heslin (21) Mark Plunkett (22) Cillian McGloin (20)
Gary Plunkett (24) Shane Moran (27) Ryan O'Rourke (21)

Benny Flynn
James Mitchell Alan Armstrong Fergal McTague
Oisin Madden Noel Plunkett Aidan Flynn
Jack Gilheany
Aaron Hoare
Conor Cullen Dom Flynn Sean Flanagan
Darragh Rooney Keith Beirne Emlyn Mulligan

That second team has 9 players that started games for Leitrim in 2018. And the only players there is any doubt about commitment in the first team is Paul Brennan and Thomas Quinn so it underlines our depth that we now have in regards to Division 4 football. Now don't get me wrong Terry Hyland might pick a completely different team but I would guess that atleast 11 of those players on the first team will be the backbone of what we do next year if they stay injury free. Leitrim ABU

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 23/10/2018 10:29:00    2147847

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "Agree with everything that was said about Mulligan and more.
Using that list of players from the previous posters which I would agree bar one or two but that always going to be the way. If they all commit we could have a serious belt at getting to the Division Four final in my eyes.
In theory and if all these men commit have we ever had such depth in the forward unit? To highlight this I'm going to pick 2 teams from that list.

Diarmuid McKiernan (24)
Paddy Maguire (28) Donal Wrynn (24)Michael McWeeeney (26)
Paul Brennan (29) Tom Quinn (23)Shane Quinn (24)
Dean McGovern (22) Pearce Dolan (21)
Jack Heslin (21) Mark Plunkett (22) Cillian McGloin (20)
Gary Plunkett (24) Shane Moran (27) Ryan O'Rourke (21)

Benny Flynn
James Mitchell Alan Armstrong Fergal McTague
Oisin Madden Noel Plunkett Aidan Flynn
Jack Gilheany
Aaron Hoare
Conor Cullen Dom Flynn Sean Flanagan
Darragh Rooney Keith Beirne Emlyn Mulligan

That second team has 9 players that started games for Leitrim in 2018. And the only players there is any doubt about commitment in the first team is Paul Brennan and Thomas Quinn so it underlines our depth that we now have in regards to Division 4 football. Now don't get me wrong Terry Hyland might pick a completely different team but I would guess that atleast 11 of those players on the first team will be the backbone of what we do next year if they stay injury free. Leitrim ABU"
are you playing champinoship manager???? I'm afraid the realities for hyland will be very different when trying to get lads to commit , brennan won't be leaving Donegal anytime soon on the back of last years ulster championship. I wish hyland well and i hope he doesn't bring the 14 behind the ball approach he had with cavan

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 452 - 24/10/2018 08:59:35    2148054

Link

Saw Guckian in action tonight in the Dublin final, had a good game. He'd Certainly be an addition though he is getting on. Any word on who else Hyland has contacted regarding the panel. Any of the old stalwarts returning? Would be great to see the Beirnes back

RepublicanGaels (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 29/10/2018 20:20:45    2148639

Link

Saw Chris Guckian in action tonight in the Dublin SFC. Had a good game and would be an addition certainly. Any word on anyone else Hyland has contacted? It would be great to see the likes of the Beirnes and Shane Moran back this year, hopefully Hyland has the name to get them to commit.

RepublicanGaels (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 29/10/2018 20:38:40    2148641

Link

Just like Benny it has to be said the management are leaving no stone unturned in approaching players and have had a look at lot of different men during the trials.

We are playing Meath in a memorial game in Oldcastle on Nov 17 so it will give players and supporters another opportunity to look at new players.
From what I am hearing Shane Moran will be back involved next year which is another guaranteed starter at full forward especially with the proposed new rules so that is a huge bonus. It has also been said that the Aughawillan boys are going to commit fully which hasn't been the case for a long time so that is crucial.

Last night was the 5th time I've seen Chris Guckian play and there's no doubt he will walk in to our half back line. He is physical, pacey and can take a score. I have heard some people moaning about the fact that he is 29 but I view that as a positive as it is probably the youngest inter county panel in Ireland and his experiences with Dublin will be invaluable. The even bigger bonus is that we now have Paddy McGuire who is top class, Shane Quinn who is a shoe in for county player of the year and Guckian as guaranteed starts in our defence. Fergal McTague from Aughawillan was the most impressive defender in our club championship and was also the most physically imposing so he will be given an opportunity to impress and Michael McWeeney improved considerably last year along with Noel Plunkett once he is fit. I think Donal Wrynn will also have to be looked at for full back as it has been a major concern for some time now and if Pearce Dolan is on the panel Wrynn might find it harder to get into our midfield.

I have also been reliably informed that Brennan will not be with Donegal next year and that if the Leitrim management will facilitate around his work as he is based in the south he would consider coming back to play with Leitrim. This should be top priority in my view as we haven't had a constant reliable starting no. 6 in a long time. Thomas Quinn and Colm Neville from Castleknock are also being sounded out.

A younger core of players such as Aaron Hoare and the two Cullens from Aughnasheelin, Niall McGovern (Ballinamore) and Sean Harkin (Mohill) are going to be considered and developed physically. The same is said of Jack Gilheany from Fenagh who I think could make an impact even at his young age as he is physically developed but along with Aughawillan the Fenagh players will not be called upon until their Connacht championship run has ended which is the right call.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 30/10/2018 13:58:54    2148730

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Just like Benny it has to be said the management are leaving no stone unturned in approaching players and have had a look at lot of different men during the trials.

We are playing Meath in a memorial game in Oldcastle on Nov 17 so it will give players and supporters another opportunity to look at new players.
From what I am hearing Shane Moran will be back involved next year which is another guaranteed starter at full forward especially with the proposed new rules so that is a huge bonus. It has also been said that the Aughawillan boys are going to commit fully which hasn't been the case for a long time so that is crucial.

Last night was the 5th time I've seen Chris Guckian play and there's no doubt he will walk in to our half back line. He is physical, pacey and can take a score. I have heard some people moaning about the fact that he is 29 but I view that as a positive as it is probably the youngest inter county panel in Ireland and his experiences with Dublin will be invaluable. The even bigger bonus is that we now have Paddy McGuire who is top class, Shane Quinn who is a shoe in for county player of the year and Guckian as guaranteed starts in our defence. Fergal McTague from Aughawillan was the most impressive defender in our club championship and was also the most physically imposing so he will be given an opportunity to impress and Michael McWeeney improved considerably last year along with Noel Plunkett once he is fit. I think Donal Wrynn will also have to be looked at for full back as it has been a major concern for some time now and if Pearce Dolan is on the panel Wrynn might find it harder to get into our midfield.

I have also been reliably informed that Brennan will not be with Donegal next year and that if the Leitrim management will facilitate around his work as he is based in the south he would consider coming back to play with Leitrim. This should be top priority in my view as we haven't had a constant reliable starting no. 6 in a long time. Thomas Quinn and Colm Neville from Castleknock are also being sounded out.

A younger core of players such as Aaron Hoare and the two Cullens from Aughnasheelin, Niall McGovern (Ballinamore) and Sean Harkin (Mohill) are going to be considered and developed physically. The same is said of Jack Gilheany from Fenagh who I think could make an impact even at his young age as he is physically developed but along with Aughawillan the Fenagh players will not be called upon until their Connacht championship run has ended which is the right call."
I agree that a good solid number 6 is needed but you have heard wrong from your source about brennen . He already back training with donegal. I work up in donegal and its a known fact that hes back in the set up and back training.

bigfisherman (Donegal) - Posts: 9 - 03/11/2018 21:02:48    2149449

Link

I see there is no mention of a player who would be first on my team sheet everytime i.e.Damien Moran.
In my opinion our best forward last year , man of the match in a high pressure qualifier against Louth not to mention 4 great points from play. Came on against Roscommon and hit some great points from 30-40 yards which our forwards up until then were not capable of. Damien can play at the highest level and was the only Leitrim player to make it to team of the week during championship. From a local point of view he doesn't get much press as he plays with lowly Bornacoola. Hopefully Damien will be on Hyland's panel for the start of the league.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 118 - 04/11/2018 10:31:02    2149482

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "I see there is no mention of a player who would be first on my team sheet everytime i.e.Damien Moran.
In my opinion our best forward last year , man of the match in a high pressure qualifier against Louth not to mention 4 great points from play. Came on against Roscommon and hit some great points from 30-40 yards which our forwards up until then were not capable of. Damien can play at the highest level and was the only Leitrim player to make it to team of the week during championship. From a local point of view he doesn't get much press as he plays with lowly Bornacoola. Hopefully Damien will be on Hyland's panel for the start of the league."
Lads, could be a bolt from the blue but I heard that Frankie Dolan has stepped down as manager of Saint Brigids and is joining ye lads as a forwards coach? Don't know how that would go down but he certainly would improve ye

whydoyou (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 08/11/2018 10:20:36    2150173

Link

Replying To whydoyou:  "Lads, could be a bolt from the blue but I heard that Frankie Dolan has stepped down as manager of Saint Brigids and is joining ye lads as a forwards coach? Don't know how that would go down but he certainly would improve ye"
Really? Im surprised he isnt in the new Ross set up? Anyone else back this rumour up?

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 10/11/2018 09:18:25    2150490

Link

So Terry Hylands first game is this weekend in Oldcastle in Meath. Personally I am enjoying all the positivity that is surrounding the set up. We have a young squad that is filled with attacking players.

From last year's squad I have heard that Alan Armstrong, James Mitchell and Keith Keegan are not going to commit to the panel. Matthew Murphy has also not been selected and most worryingly and surprisingly Donal Wrynn has not yet committed as a result of changing jobs. None of the Aughawillan players have been call upon yet but it would be a major disappointment if they did not commit for once as 4 or 5 of them are good enough to be on the panel.

That would mean we will need a new captain. I think it has to be someone who is going to be a guaranteed starter and will be around for a few years. My thinking would be Ryan O'Rourke, Shane Moran or Mark Plunkett.

Thankfully Hyland has cast his net wide and it seems that up on 50 players are being looked at. The most interesting player that has been training with them is Ray Mulvey. No-one doubts his talent and his speed is exactly what is required for Senior Inter-county football but will he have the required dedication is the question. If he has than this could be one of the most interesting years of Leitrim football since Des Dolans tenure.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 12/11/2018 14:12:49    2150777

Link

Lads ya might as well talk about knitting because once we get yee again youse will be toasted

Dynamitewooskey (Roscommon) - Posts: 15 - 15/11/2018 12:54:36    2151216

Link

Replying To Dynamitewooskey:  "Lads ya might as well talk about knitting because once we get yee again youse will be toasted"
Agree Lad, with a manager like Cunningham we will definitely be pushing hard this year for a semi final

whydoyou (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 15/11/2018 13:13:29    2151221

Link

Anyone at the leitrim v Meath game today in oldcastle? They lost 1-10-1-20. Anyone impress I wonder? I wonder how strong Meath were?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 18/11/2018 15:38:25    2151476

Link

We were well in it until the second half going by Twitter

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 153 - 18/11/2018 22:06:14    2151555

Link

Looks like no word on Chris Guckian or Tomas Quinn as of yet. Will be a blow if they don't join up as they have the talent and physique to bring us to the next level. Especially as they are defenders and I think we are struggling for real inter county talent in this area. Their leadership and experience from being around Dublin panels and their culture could have added real value to our younger players I feel.

Any word on Donal Wrynn? Would be a disaster to lose his experience and attitude from this group. As crazy as it sounds with the amount of football he has played he is still only 25. In a small county like ours we can't afford to lose someone like him.

The Ray Mulvey inclusion is probably the most fascinating one in my opinion. He has to sheer talent to go straight in to the starting team for the League/Championship if he can add in the commitment and work rate needed to be an Inter-county player.

It's been pointed out here before but I think everyone in Leitrim will have a different selection if you attempted to pick six starting forwards from this list

Mark Plunkett,
Ryan O'Rourke
Darragh Rooney
Keith Beirne
Shane Moran
Gary Plunkett
Jack Heslin
Cillian McGloin
Emlyn Mulligan
Ray Mulvey
Sean Flanagan
Domhnail Flynn
Damien Moran
Conor Gaffney

That's 14 forwards all of whom will probably feel they are good enough to be starting. Have we ever had such depth in our forward unit before?

Challenge games like last Sunday in Meath may look pointless to some but if we can unearth even two extra players to make an impact that haven't been used before than it will be huge.

Still think we are struggling for a no. 6 unless maybe they look at Shane Quinn here in the long run. Conor Farell started here against Meath and is a good ball player and physically strong but he needs to become more mobile and gain a yard of pace to really become a contender to start but it is another interesting addition as he has previous inter county experience with New York. There's has been some talk that they might try use Jack Heslin as a Wing back like Gortletragh do especially seen as he is so brilliant at running from deep and can also take a score. He would need a lot of coaching defensively though.

Full back is an area of concern also but I personally feel Big Fergal McTague from the Willies could be the solution long term even if he is still very young. Another Midfielder to partner Pearce Dolan and pressurise Dean McGovern to get better again is required.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 20/11/2018 11:23:18    2151790

Link

Allen Gaels = Diarmuid McKiernan
Annaduff - Conor Reynolds, Kenny Cox
Aughnasheelin = Conor Cullen, Sean McWeeney,
Ballinaglera = Seamus McMorrow
Boornacola = Damien Moran
Ballinamore = Shane moran, Dean McGovern, Oisin McCaffery, Darren Maxwell
Carrigallen - Eoin Ward
Drumkieran = Jason Byrne, Cathal McCauley
Glencar -Manor = Paddy Maguire, James Rooney, Evan Sweeney, Niall Brady
Gort = Jack Heslin, Padraig Gallagher, David Mulvey, Francis Flynn
Leitrim Gaels = Brendan Flynn, Aidan Flynn
Melvin Gael = Emlyn Mulligan
Mohill - Domhnaill Flynn, Oisin Madden, Alan McLoughlin, Keith Beirne
St Marys = Conor Farrell, Daire Farrell, Ray Mulvey, Michael McWeeney

14 clubs represented. 32 players named. Not sure exactly how many made an appearance. We lost butits a game in November so the result has no bearing. We also missed a penalty.

U20 club games on at the same day so that would have taken away a few players. Darragh Rooney, Cillian McGloin, Aaron Hoare, Ciaran Cullen, Sean Harkin etc.

No Fenagh players listed - I would expect Donal Wrynn*, Jack Gilheany and Ryan O'Rourke to be permanent members and no Aughawillan players as of yet - probably around 5 or 6 I would estimate - Plunketts x3, Pearce Dolan, Fergal McTague and possibly Sean Flanagan.
A few other players injured or away aswell so that's over 50 man panel the new management will be working with. Great to see, it also means they are financially being backed by the county board which is another positive sign.

The only guaranteed players at this moment in time not withstanding injuries and a loss of form are:

Paddy McGuire - In my eyes one of the best man markers you will find anywhere.

Shane Quinn - Leitrim best player in 2018 by a distance and had the sweeper role down to a tee.

Mark Plunkett - Has it all from what I've seen, ball winner, vision, kick points and a brilliant tackler. I'd play him at 11 or 12 though as playing in mid field takes away from his talents

Pearce Dolan - Still very light but has the height that is necessary for centre field with the new mark rules. Is also very comfortable in possession

Ryan O'Rourke - Has the potential to destroy any defender in my eyes, not many Leitrim players have been seen fit to captain a Sigerson team like O'Rourke did this year in Maynooth

Shane Moran - His new role at Full Forward for Ballinamore worked wonders for him. He is a battering ram when he gets going. The new inside mark rules should also benefit him in this regard. Can also drop deep then to help the middle third.

Gary Plunkett - If anyone seen him play during this year's club championship they will understand why. He even kicked 5 or 6 when in a losing team against Ballintubber. Both feet, explosiveness, and can physically mix it aswell.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 20/11/2018 13:08:06    2151808

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Allen Gaels = Diarmuid McKiernan
Annaduff - Conor Reynolds, Kenny Cox
Aughnasheelin = Conor Cullen, Sean McWeeney,
Ballinaglera = Seamus McMorrow
Boornacola = Damien Moran
Ballinamore = Shane moran, Dean McGovern, Oisin McCaffery, Darren Maxwell
Carrigallen - Eoin Ward
Drumkieran = Jason Byrne, Cathal McCauley
Glencar -Manor = Paddy Maguire, James Rooney, Evan Sweeney, Niall Brady
Gort = Jack Heslin, Padraig Gallagher, David Mulvey, Francis Flynn
Leitrim Gaels = Brendan Flynn, Aidan Flynn
Melvin Gael = Emlyn Mulligan
Mohill - Domhnaill Flynn, Oisin Madden, Alan McLoughlin, Keith Beirne
St Marys = Conor Farrell, Daire Farrell, Ray Mulvey, Michael McWeeney

14 clubs represented. 32 players named. Not sure exactly how many made an appearance. We lost butits a game in November so the result has no bearing. We also missed a penalty.

U20 club games on at the same day so that would have taken away a few players. Darragh Rooney, Cillian McGloin, Aaron Hoare, Ciaran Cullen, Sean Harkin etc.

No Fenagh players listed - I would expect Donal Wrynn*, Jack Gilheany and Ryan O'Rourke to be permanent members and no Aughawillan players as of yet - probably around 5 or 6 I would estimate - Plunketts x3, Pearce Dolan, Fergal McTague and possibly Sean Flanagan.
A few other players injured or away aswell so that's over 50 man panel the new management will be working with. Great to see, it also means they are financially being backed by the county board which is another positive sign.

The only guaranteed players at this moment in time not withstanding injuries and a loss of form are:

Paddy McGuire - In my eyes one of the best man markers you will find anywhere.

Shane Quinn - Leitrim best player in 2018 by a distance and had the sweeper role down to a tee.

Mark Plunkett - Has it all from what I've seen, ball winner, vision, kick points and a brilliant tackler. I'd play him at 11 or 12 though as playing in mid field takes away from his talents

Pearce Dolan - Still very light but has the height that is necessary for centre field with the new mark rules. Is also very comfortable in possession

Ryan O'Rourke - Has the potential to destroy any defender in my eyes, not many Leitrim players have been seen fit to captain a Sigerson team like O'Rourke did this year in Maynooth

Shane Moran - His new role at Full Forward for Ballinamore worked wonders for him. He is a battering ram when he gets going. The new inside mark rules should also benefit him in this regard. Can also drop deep then to help the middle third.

Gary Plunkett - If anyone seen him play during this year's club championship they will understand why. He even kicked 5 or 6 when in a losing team against Ballintubber. Both feet, explosiveness, and can physically mix it aswell."
I would also add

Gary O'Daly - St.Marys on underdogs team
Fergal Clancy Glenfarne
Ronan Reynolds Conor Beirne Eslin
Ronan Kennedy Keith Keegan Mohill
Philip Farelly Matthew Murphy Niall McGovern?? Ballinamore
KillianMcGrisken Bruno McDonald Conor Dolan Manor
Tom Quinn Castleknock
Moretons Leitrim Gaels
Plunketts P.Dolan Sean Flanagan Sean Mctague Aughawillan
Ryan O'Rourke Donal Wrynn!! fenagh

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 23/11/2018 19:08:26    2152265