Leitrim Forum

Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just a side note but I reckon it's bad form that Glenfarne and Manorhamilton have to play the Junior Final in Ballinamore surely they are entitled to a showpiece in Paric Sean? Very disrespectful if you ask me

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 04/10/2018 14:11:58    2145119

Link

Paul Gilligan is a big loss to Glenfarne Kilty. He has the skills that pay the bills.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 123 - 04/10/2018 15:34:37    2145137

Link

That certainly is poor form and with the reforms expected down the line with top two divisions of eight does that mean all junior finals will not be in HQ. that is poor form certainly.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 04/10/2018 19:16:43    2145170

Link

To be honest I never understood why they would make 2 teams from the north of the country constantly travel to Carrick for games. Manor and Melvin Gaels played their group game in the championship there. Ballinamore is a fine ground.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 281 - 05/10/2018 08:42:38    2145221

Link

The county board will be delighted with the pairing in the senior final as it should draw a huge crowd.
Both Mohill and Aughawillan have easily been the two best teams in Leitrim for the last 5 years. It must be said that the game they played in Ballinamore in the Semi Final two years ago was the best game of football standard wise I think I have seen in Leitrim.

On paper and from what you hear people saying this should be a cake walk for Mohill. I don't think this will be the case. I seen an earlier poster alluding to it but whatever they have down in Aughwillan is hard to understand. They might not be the most liked club in Leitrim by neutrals but they are the most respected. They don't give a dam about reputations and believe they can beat any team on any given day which is crazy for an area of their size but it seems to drive them on to places where teams with far greater resources can't get to.

The standard and sheer amount of quality players that Mohill are producing is immense but on a different level what the Willies are producing with only a couple of hundred people in their parishes needs to be bottled and sold to every other club.

For someone with no links to the game I haven't been as excited about a county final in a long long time. Mohill will probably have 8 or 9 or next years county panel playing and if the all commit for once I would say Aughawillan will have up on 6.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 05/10/2018 10:36:19    2145241

Link

Couldn't agree more Onthebank, the Willies like or loathe them, have a few quality players but it's what they manage to get out of the less heralded players is what impresses me the most. They turn up every day fit and ready to battle, there is a cohesiveness, a collective drive and an understanding that only others see them as underdogs because they play fearlessly with scant regard for reputations and why should they? They are the proudest club in the county, not cockiness built on quicksand foundations but realization that what came before them achieved so much and population was an excuse that they never used. It's cyclical in Aughawillan but when it comes along this club never lets the opportunity glide by without seizing it. A lot of clubs in Leitrim talk the talk but only Mohill and Willies have walked the walk. To be fair to Manor we are probably seeing the end of the road for a great team who served their club so well, 8 finals in past 10 years plus a replay. Could be a while before they can rebuild to the standard of the good days but county needs our big town teams going well for the standard to improve. And it must improve.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 05/10/2018 11:49:08    2145257

Link

Well done to Glenfarne Kilty on winning the Junior championship today. Delighted for a very proud club who nearly folded last year. Best of luck in the Connacht club championship.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 363 - 06/10/2018 18:56:50    2145382

Link

Great win for Glenfarne! Fantastic for the area and community

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 06/10/2018 21:38:21    2145390

Link

Huge congrats to glenfarne kilty, huge win for them over the bitter neighbours glencar manor. They celebrated it well last night too and rightfully so

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 07/10/2018 11:05:24    2145411

Link

Biggest week of the year in Leitrim football and I would say it will be the biggest attendance at a final in a long time. Should be two enthralling finals. It has to be said that many finals turn into poor games as a result of pressure, nerves and bad weather at this time of year but I think the senior final especially should be a close game.

Mohill are huge favourites but if there's any club that thrives on being wrote off and having the status of underdogs it's the Willies. What's even more important is that most clubs including Mohill know this and even if they are in the lead sink into their shells at time just knowing there is going to be an Aughawillan comeback.

Everyone myself included is talking about Mohill's depth but only 15 men can start and when you write it down on paper you can see areas where Aughawillan will fancy themselves to do damage.

In my view the 5 best players on the pitch in order are Mark Plunkett, Pearce Dolan, Shane Quinn, Gary Plunkett and Keith Beirne. Pure talent wise M.Plunkett and Dolan have it all. Shane Quinn is Mohill's most important player and everything goes through him and he always takes the right option. I would say Gary Plunkett is easily the top scorer in the championship this year and is so hard to mark as he can use both feet so effectively. Beirne has been away all summer but he will fancy himself to do a number on this Aughawillan full back line.

Team selection and injuries could decide this game. Mohill are using Oisin Madden as an impact sub which many people are viewing as arrogant but it has been effective. I just wonder will they have the resolve to continue this tactic in a county final and against a team like Aughawillan.

The Willies have their own headaches. They've been missing their midfielder Fox all year. Their other powerhouse Flanagan didn't play any part the last day which is an enormous loss especially as both Mitchells in the Mohill Full back line are vulnerable under the high ball. And Ciaran Gilheany seems to have returned from travelling held together by bandages although he did pick off scores against St Marys. An intriguing aspect to this game is what Aughawillan will do with Noel Plunkett. He is clearly nowhere near fit and they through him in at Full forward against St Mary's which didn't work from a scoring point of view but with his power and height he can't be ignored either. Himself and Armstrong could be a good tussle. At the same time I'm sure most Aughawillan supporters will hope he is fit enough to tag Ronan Kennedy.

There will be a few battles to watch. Aughawillan have been playing Gary Plunkett deeper as a result of their injuries so Caillain Canning will likely pick him up. Think Plunkett can win this one if he runs at him. The midfield sector is going to be the winning and losing of this game. Dolan and Plunkett are the two best fielders by a long distance in the county but I think Mohill will try to negate this by running them into the ground as Keegan and Quinn are far more mobile. Quinn is also brilliant at breaking the ball so the winning of 'breaks' will be crucial. Sean Harkin has been a revelation for Mohill at Wing back this year as no one has been able to deal with his sheer pace. But going into the St Marys game everyone questioned could Aughawillan deal with Mulvey and McWeeney. Stephen Gilheany took Mulvey out of the game so I would say he will be told to follow Harkin. Fergal McTague is being talked about throughout the county for his past few displays. I still think he is quiet green and naïve and Kennedy or Beirne might try and play him and get frees. He plays so aggressively and intimidates whatever forward he is on and we all know most consider some of the Mohill forwards "soft" so he will be licking his lips. Whoever else is in the full back line with McTague will need a lot of help as the likes of Gordon will pick off scores from the second ball if not marked tightly.

The decisions of the Referees/linesmen is going to be a key indicator in how this game goes. Mohill can be very "cute" in how they influence the Ref (and rightly so if it works) but on the flip side I feel a few of their players have got names for themselves in Referee circles for 'going down easily' or getting involved in niggles. While Aughawillan have a tendency to give away stupid frees so clear instructions and decisiveness will be key to not losing control.

The first 20 mins will go a long way in deciding this game. If the Willies can keep it tight going into half time they will trust themselves to come through in a battle in the last 15 mins of the game. Mohill though will think that their bench will see them through as Aughawillan didn't even bring on anyone the last day.
Going to be very tight and a draw would not surprise me but = Mohill by 3

*Will not be any way surprised if the Willes turn them over though as they have an Aura about them that is hard to figure out and can pull them through games that they should't be winning.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 08/10/2018 12:08:30    2145551

Link

Mohill to win the final that Aughawillian defence leaks worse then a tap. Keith Beirne, Ronan Kennedy, Dom Flynn and Alan McLoughlin will all cause havoc. As for the Intermediate final I'm going to go against the grain and back Annaduff I fancy they'll shut down the O'Rourkes and that'll go along way to getting the victory.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 08/10/2018 20:28:09    2145670

Link

I am really looking forward to this final.
Two teams with different backgrounds and different traditions but with a culture of winning.

One thing I find consistently strange is the adoration for Aughawillans attitude of "not giving up" or talking about the tradition of what they have done in the past when analysing games in the present. Every team should have this attitude and it should be the starting point for every club. I feel it even undervalues their players as we then don't focus on their skillset or the huge talents of their players. Every other club would bite your hand off to have talents of the three Plunkett brothers, Pearce Dolan, their Goalkeeper is probably the best shot stopper in the county and Ciaran Gilheany when fit has taken most teams for big scores.

Mohill have the other contrast whereby any type of win they have is being talked up to the last. This can only bring on complacency whether they admit to it or not. Their Underage structures are extraordinary and some of their younger players we have not seen will be even better than the ones there at the moment.
Both clubs even though they are by a big margin the two best teams have had difficult years. Mohill have had off the field issues. Whereas Aughawillan have been decimated by injuries and players travelling look at their league position for proof. So it's fair to say that they both teams could be coming into their prime now if they are all fit.

Both teams have strengths and weaknesses. The pace and mobility of the Mohill team is incredible. They can all play in various positions and when you see them leaving one of the best players in the county in Oisin Madden on the bench you know the power of their panel. Their weaknesses are probably if Kennedy and Beirne can be shackled from play. I also think that in Alana McLoughlin, Domhnail Flynn and especially Danny Beck that they can be ran at from deep if Aughawillan have the legs to do that it is a different story. I think Aughawillan might drive at Ciaran Kennedy/Beck as they will be covering the younger Mitchell/Harkin in the hope that they might be black carded. Physicality is another area where Aughawillan might try and capitalise. The two Mitchells, Harkin and Gordon can be pushed around a small bit as they rely on their pace to get them out of trouble. The main question mark is as they have been so dominant for two years now is if they have the stomach or the bottle for winning dirty ball or sticking with it when Aughawillan get a purple patch.

Aughawillans main problems are in defence. Do they have the concentration to not give needless fouls away like they have done in the quarter final and Semi-final as they can be stupid at times. Another talking point is if they have sufficient legs over the team to get them through a full game against a fast Mohill team. Their half back line in Quinn, McTague and Prior may all be good ball players but wouldn't be known for their speed. This then leaves their full back line isolated and could be shown up even more by Keegan, Quinn and Harkin driving from deep at them.

If Aughawillan can nick a goal or two and their long range shooting improves so that they don't have to run into the Mohill rear-guard I can see them winning this game. They can't afford to be caught on the counter attack.
If Mohill get their running game going and don't be brought into a physical dogfight they should prevail.

Fenagh to win by 6 in the Intermediate after Ryan O'Rourke receiving a horrible dogging for the game. If they don't get involved in a row with Annaduff they should have more than enough talent to see them through.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 09/10/2018 00:01:15    2145704

Link

I can see this being a rip roaring senior final. The best 2 teams in the county no question about it. Manor have been the stand out team over the last number of years. These 2 teams have picked up the Baton now. I think Mohil are better equipped to give Connacht club a right good rattle although that will count for little on Sunday. I think Mohil will win but not without a major scare. Willies need to have absolutely everyone available to beat Mohil. They are missing both Sean Flanagan and Sean fox who were there midfield the last number of years. Gilheaney seems to be carrying a knee injury he's not moving well. I think this game will be won in the middle Third. Willies will have better midfield with Plunkett and dolan but Mohil shade the other 2 lines of half forward and half back which will be crucial for breaking ball. Don't think it will be a very high scoring game but full of hard hitting an intensity. I'm going for Mohil by 2 points around 11-09.

As for intermediate I genuinely think Fenagh will win the game handy enough. Donal Rynn will have a field day at midfield annaduff very immobile in this area. Both o Rourkes in the forward line should take annaduff to the cleaners. Fenaghs back like is suspect and could give annaduff a glimmer of hope however against leitrim gaels Fenagh played jack gillheany sitting on the half back line to off more cover to the back line and he cut out a lot of ball in This area. Fenagh by 7+

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 09/10/2018 11:34:46    2145753

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I can see this being a rip roaring senior final. The best 2 teams in the county no question about it. Manor have been the stand out team over the last number of years. These 2 teams have picked up the Baton now. I think Mohil are better equipped to give Connacht club a right good rattle although that will count for little on Sunday. I think Mohil will win but not without a major scare. Willies need to have absolutely everyone available to beat Mohil. They are missing both Sean Flanagan and Sean fox who were there midfield the last number of years. Gilheaney seems to be carrying a knee injury he's not moving well. I think this game will be won in the middle Third. Willies will have better midfield with Plunkett and dolan but Mohil shade the other 2 lines of half forward and half back which will be crucial for breaking ball. Don't think it will be a very high scoring game but full of hard hitting an intensity. I'm going for Mohil by 2 points around 11-09.

As for intermediate I genuinely think Fenagh will win the game handy enough. Donal Rynn will have a field day at midfield annaduff very immobile in this area. Both o Rourkes in the forward line should take annaduff to the cleaners. Fenaghs back like is suspect and could give annaduff a glimmer of hope however against leitrim gaels Fenagh played jack gillheany sitting on the half back line to off more cover to the back line and he cut out a lot of ball in This area. Fenagh by 7+"
Very good analysis. I think Mohill unless they get a case of the jitters which is highly unlikely will hammer Willies and win comfortably. I think Fenagh's time has arrived and they will beat Annaduff also comfortably. If Ryan O Rourke is on song he will be worth the admission fee alone.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 118 - 09/10/2018 16:46:20    2145797

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "Very good analysis. I think Mohill unless they get a case of the jitters which is highly unlikely will hammer Willies and win comfortably. I think Fenagh's time has arrived and they will beat Annaduff also comfortably. If Ryan O Rourke is on song he will be worth the admission fee alone."
Agree with you about Ryan O'rourke - when he is full flight he is a pure joy to watch. His hunger, demanding the ball, his running, his point taking is unbelievable

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 09/10/2018 20:18:00    2145827

Link

Looks like the weather is going to create havoc with the weekends game.

For years we were depressed at the fact that Leitrim had no quality forwards especially when we had a defence of McKeown, McGuinness, Reynolds, Prior and McWeeney Etc. Now we struggle for top class defenders apart from Paddy Maguire and Shane Quinn.

As a neutral its exciting to be going to two games that will feature attack minded players of the quality of Beirne, Kennedy, Mark Plunkett, Gary Plunkett, Ryan O'Rourke and Pearce Dolan.

For as long as I've been watching football in Leitrim Aughawillan teams have been wrote off before games which seems to be no different this weekend. Winning seems to be bred into them which makes them so cut throat and unlikable at times but also so successful. It seems to be win or bust for them, second place means nothing.
Mohill than have always been considered flaky and 'soft' physically and psychologically. This cannot be said of this group as only for Aughawillan in the last few years we would be talking about this set as players as every bit as dominant as Manor were before them. They also play a lovely brand of football.

If Aughawillan bring a manic intensity around their own half back line and stop decent ball going into 'Chick' and Beirne this game will be interesting. We know the Mohill boys cant start arguing with each-other and if this happens it will only be like a red rag to a bull for Aughawillan. I can see Mohill switching it up a small bit. With Flynn dropping deeper to try and disrupt Plunkett and Dolan and also leaving space infront of their Full Forward line.

If Aughawillan can up their scoring rate from the St Mary's game they'll be hard stopped. But if Mohill get a goal or two in the first half it is good night for the Willies. Think it would be crazy from Mohill not to start Madden. Him on one wing and Harkin on the other is a serious weapon to have from deep.
I've backed a draw at 15/2 but I have a nagging feeling that if the game is that tight Aughawillan will find a way to get the job done.

I expect Fenagh to win comfortably but Annaduff could catch fire with Kenny Cox, Conor Reynolds and Seanie McNabola all decent forwards.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 11/10/2018 10:18:48    2146041

Link

Is it true that Annaduff have Paddy Garvey back fully fit and primed to play in the final? Donal Wrynn will have his hands full if he is unleashed

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 13/10/2018 21:59:56    2146398

Link

Hats off to Aughwillian deserving winners. A good game of football both teams Just went at it. Aughwillian work rate was Just that little better. Also Sean Flanagan tormented Mohil when he came on. all of willies big players stood out today.

Intermediate was a tense affair with the ref having money on the draw i assume. Hard to predict who'll win the reply you'd have to think Fenagh have more room for improvement then annaduff but you can't rule them out at all.

Have no doubt terry highland will be have been impressed with the standard of football today

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 14/10/2018 17:29:03    2146464

Link

Replying To Villatown:  "Mohill to win the final that Aughawillian defence leaks worse then a tap. Keith Beirne, Ronan Kennedy, Dom Flynn and Alan McLoughlin will all cause havoc. As for the Intermediate final I'm going to go against the grain and back Annaduff I fancy they'll shut down the O'Rourkes and that'll go along way to getting the victory."
Must have got the tap fixed....

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 14/10/2018 20:13:06    2146501

Link

I see Tommy McCormack showed his midas touch again, has he ever lost a county final as a manager? I know he has won 7 in both longford and Leitrim, he has to be up there in a select group of successful managers, possibly out on his own.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 25 - 14/10/2018 20:56:17    2146516

Link