Leitrim Forum

Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Drumreilly v willies - interesting game willies will fancy themselves but drumreilly should have a lot of confidence after last weekend. Will be some battle. Not much in it but il just give willies the nod

Gort v mohill- mohill by 10

Dromahair v ballinamore - ballinamore with a big response from last weekend with all the American lads giving them a huge lift. I'd expect at least 1-5 from Niall frandy.

Carrick v neds - carrick to win and them and manor to compete for first place in the group. If neds got anything here would be a huge result.

Bors v manor - I wonder are the bookies gonna be taking any money in on this game after last year. If manor want to win they will win.

Allen Gaels v Melvin Gaels - probably the most important game of the weekend. Allen Gaels win and they'll be in the QF. Melvin Gaels don't pick up a Win and they'll be in relegation. I'd expect a cracker. Draw

Drumkeeran and Leitrim village will be an interesting game Saturday evening. Won't be one for the purists. I'd expect a 6-6 draw.

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 08/08/2018 11:03:32    2130760

Link

Replying To Villatown:  "The Bor's have no plan B on the high ball in doesn't work the panic... Damien Moran looked like a fella who was tired Saturday evening. The look to be in trouble but never write them off"
Didn't see Gortletteragh beating Mohill!

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 11/08/2018 20:22:28    2131923

Link

Replying To Villatown:  "The Bor's have no plan B on the high ball in doesn't work the panic... Damien Moran looked like a fella who was tired Saturday evening. The look to be in trouble but never write them off"
Bors have little or nothing coming through and the majority of the team are 30 plus and have had their day. In saying that they have a one or two good young subs with more legs and energy but there is a reluctance to play them especially in championship games. The change of management has back fired badly and I cant see a great escape this year.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 12/08/2018 10:47:50    2132140

Link

Looks like the Senior Championship has beem blown wide open. Are Mohill in a pickle?

Fenagh are very strong in Intermediate but Eslin will play a different style of football than any other team.

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 13/08/2018 21:44:03    2132959

Link

Senior very competitive this year any of Mohil manor aughwillian Ballinamore and st.marys could win it.

Intermediate Is a one horse race Fenagh a mile ahead of the rest. Won first 3 games in the group easily and also in the hunt for a league final spot. Other intermediate teams either bottom of div 1 or in div 2.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 14/08/2018 01:11:10    2133026

Link

I wont say its a one horse race intermediate championship. You would expect fenagh to beat cloone and aughavas really...the glera result was impressive that said. I recall last year leitrim gaels bet Fenagh in the quarter finals by 5points plus and their physical nature may cause fenagh problems. Annaduff and eslin are dark horses it must be said. Time will tell

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 14/08/2018 15:46:19    2133261

Link

Railroading teams might come easy to Fenagh when they have the safety net of the group stage format....might be a different story come knock out when the real pressure is on.

Eslin looking good for the win with the Beirnes on absolute fire in Ballinamore the other day,

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 14/08/2018 16:17:51    2133270

Link

Replying To straightred:  "Railroading teams might come easy to Fenagh when they have the safety net of the group stage format....might be a different story come knock out when the real pressure is on.

Eslin looking good for the win with the Beirnes on absolute fire in Ballinamore the other day,"
Senior Championship wide open, Mohill, Manor, The Willies and dark horses St Marys all possible winners. M McGowan and Joe Reynolds have Eslin playing well. A word to the wise, they are more than just The Beirnes even though they are a class act. But there is real pace in their team now

Heatwae (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 16/08/2018 13:49:45    2133842

Link

Should be a few cracking games this weekend. I would imagine Terry Hyland or his backroom staff will be particularly interested in Carrick - Manor, Aughawillan - Ballinamore and Aughnasheelin - Allen Gaels.

Mohill -V- Drumreilly = Fancy Mohill to win this comfortably. Any sense of cockiness they may have had will be gone after the Gort result. Drumreilly will love nothing better than to get stuck into Mohill but they don't have the required pace to live with them. Will be close for 15 mins but - Mohill by 10

Aughawillan -V- Ballinamore = Game of the weekend. Both teams have been missing key players due to injuries and the USA all summer but seem to be coming to the fore now. Could be a tight game that the free takers might decide. Both teams are playing a big man at Full forward so it will be interesting to see what systems are used to get the best out of them and also to nulify them. Fancy Aughawillan to have a greater scoring threat if they can manage to handle Dean McGovern, Wayne McKeown and Shane Moran. - Aughawillan by 4

Melvin Gael -V- Boornacoola = Melvin Gaels have been the biggest disappointment out of any team in the championship thus far but they should have too big of a scoring threat if Mulligan, McGloin and Rooney click. Melvins defence has been poor so they might be advised to drop deep and nullify Damien Moran and Philly Howard - Melvin Gaels by 7

Dromahair -V- Gort = Massive game for both teams. Gort got a huge win out of the blue against Mohill which no one would have predicted. Dromahair are playing like a team destined for relegation and if Heslin is home from America he could really inflict damage. Even if he is not I cant see anything other than a Gort win. Gort by 5

Aughnasheelin -V- Allen Gaels = This game could cause an upset. Allen Gaels had a good win the last day whereas the Neddies died out in the last 15 against Carrick. I have a feeling the Neddies might cause an upset here or at least get a point. - Draw game

Glencar Manor -V- Carrick = Another hard game to call. Both teams have been going strong and will fancy themselves to cancel out the main threats. Carrick playing Ray Mulvey and wing back is an interesting one as he has all the ability in the world but can struggle for fitness. The Farrell's and Doherty along with the McWeeneys are driving Carrick on and Lowe will still tag on a few scores so they are dangerous. Manor new management have them looking sharp though. It must be frustrating that Glancy is still by far their biggest threat as they need the likes of Conor Dolan and Niall Brady to finally live up to their potential if they are going to break their hoodoo. A red card or a penalty might be the difference here. - St Marys by 2

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 21/08/2018 13:38:25    2135251

Link

Is the final round of group games on next weekend or will there be another two week break?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 26/08/2018 11:42:22    2136596

Link

I see Annaduff had a comprehensive win over Kiltubrit at the weekend, them seem favs to top their group, between Fenagh and Leitrim in other group, think its between the three for honors but think the Duffers will have too much experience and bite for the rest.

blackpuddin (Leitrim) - Posts: 69 - 28/08/2018 12:05:27    2137054

Link

Replying To blackpuddin:  "I see Annaduff had a comprehensive win over Kiltubrit at the weekend, them seem favs to top their group, between Fenagh and Leitrim in other group, think its between the three for honors but think the Duffers will have too much experience and bite for the rest."
You do know blackpudding that the duffers were beaten by Eslin who in turn were beaten at the weekend by Carrigallen. Annaduff have a lot of injuries to contend with. Leitrim Gaels beat a Fenagh team without the services of Ryan O Rourke

Heatwae (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 28/08/2018 15:45:47    2137170

Link

Replying To Heatwae:  "You do know blackpudding that the duffers were beaten by Eslin who in turn were beaten at the weekend by Carrigallen. Annaduff have a lot of injuries to contend with. Leitrim Gaels beat a Fenagh team without the services of Ryan O Rourke"
Where is your point? Or are you just stating the obvious? I'm just looking for a bit of discussion! I realise annaduff have 3 starters injured and 3-4 playing injured. I just think if they get their team right the should have too much, but that is only my opinion, everyone can post theirs if they choose.

blackpuddin (Leitrim) - Posts: 69 - 28/08/2018 21:23:59    2137297

Link

Ballinamore -V- Mohill: Game of the weekend. Ballinamore's players and management are both under pressure after two abject performances against their two biggest rivals. Terry Hyland will be an interested spectator at this I would say as there's some good match up's. Shane Moran has been creating havoc in at full forward but can be negated if matched physically. Mohill will expect to have an advantage at midfield with Quinn and Keegan but surely Dean McGovern needs to step up against 2 other county players. Matthew Murphy is another man under pressure as his man kicked 3-6 the last day so 'Chick' will be licking his lips. There should be a kick-back out of Ballinamore but I still expect Mohill to have to much pace and class. = Mohill by 6 Aughawillan -V- Dromahair: The "Willies" seem to be building up ahead of steam and it might be a game where they rest players to avoid injury and fatigue as we all know they rely on about 17 players. If they want to they could put any number on Dromahair. Will be interesting to see if they will bring anything different tactically as they haven't bet either Manor or Mohill in a long time and will need to mix it up. = Willies by 11 Drumreilly -V- Gort: Wouldn't like to be the referee in this game. This will be a dog fight with lots to play for on both teams. Not sure if Gort have anyone to mark Conor Gaffney if he is on form but even more crucially Drumreilly definetly don't have anyone to match Heslins pace and I can see him being the difference. = Gort by 4 Melvin Gael -V- Aughnasheelin: This has all the making of a tight game. Another match where Terry Hyland will surely have someone keeping an eye on. Kinloughs big three of Mulligan, Rooney and McGloin have flattered to deceive all year but mainly Melvins defence has let them down but Aughnasheelins have been porous aswell. I can see Barry McWeeney tagging Mulligan and Conor Cullen marking McGloin and Sean McWeeney on Darragh Rooney. Aughnasheelins young guns in Aaron Hoare and Ciaran Cullen could be the difference here. Should be a good tight game. = Neddies by 2 St Mary's -V- Boornacoola: This is the type of game where I could see Carrick putting a big number on the Boors. Michael McWeeney should be well able to handle Damien Moran which will cancel out 75% of Boors attacking plans in my view. = St Mary's by 10 Allen Gaels -V- Glencar Manor: Allen Gaels once again seem to have no consistency. Great win against Kinlough and then they were terrible against Aughnasheelin. Can't see them having the fitness to last with Manor or having enough scoring options once it comes into the melting pot. The big pitch in Pairc Sean can only be an advantage to Manor who are plodding on nicely. No team has tested their full back line yet which I think may be a real weak point of theirs. = Manor by 10

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 03/09/2018 18:26:21    2138917

Link

Ballinamore -V- Mohill: Game of the weekend. Ballinamore's players and management are both under pressure after two abject performances against their two biggest rivals. Terry Hyland will be an interested spectator at this I would say as there's some good match up's. Shane Moran has been creating havoc in at full forward but can be negated if matched physically. Mohill will expect to have an advantage at midfield with Quinn and Keegan but surely Dean McGovern needs to step up against 2 other count players. Matthew Murphy is another man under pressure as his man kicked 3-6 the last day so 'Chick' will be licking his lips. There should be a kick back out of Ballinamore but I still expect Mohill to have to much pace and class. = Mohill by 6

Aughawillan -V- Dromahair: The "Willies" seem to be building up ahead of steam and it might be a game where they rest players to avoid injury and fatigue as we all know they rely on about 17 players. If they want to they could put any number on Dromahair. Will be interesting to see if they will bring anything different tactically as they haven't bet either Manor or Mohill in a long time and will need to mix it up. = Willies by 11

Drumreilly -V- Gort: Wouldn't like to be the referee in this game. This will be a dog fight with lots to play for on both teams. Not sure if Gort have anyone to mark Conor Gaffney if he is on form but even more crucially Drumreilly definetly don't have anyone to match Heslins pace and I can see him being the difference. = Gort by 4

Melvin Gael -V- Aughnasheelin: This has all the making of a tight game. Another match where Terry Hyland will surely have someone keeping an eye on. Kinloughs big three of Mulligan, Rooney and McGloin have flattered to deceive all year but mainly Melvins defence has let them down but Aughnasheelins have been porous aswell. I can see Barry McWeeney tagging Mulligan and Conor Cullen marking McGloin and Sean McWeeney on Darragh Rooney. Aughnasheelins young guns in Aaron Hoare and Ciaran Cullen could be the difference here. Should be a good tight game. = Neddies by 2

St Mary's -V- Boornacoola: This is the type of game where I could see Carrick putting a big number on the Boors. Michael McWeeney should be well able to handle Damien Moran which will cancel out 75% of Boors attacking plans in my view. = St Mary's by 10

Allen Gaels -V- Glencar Manor: Allen Gaels once again seem to have no consistency. Great win against Kinlough and then they were terrible against Aughnasheelin. Can't see them having the fitness to last with Manor or having enough scoring options once it comes into the melting pot. The big pitch in Pairc Sean can only be an advantage to Manor who are plodding on nicely. No team has tested their full back line yet which I think may be a real weak point of theirs. = Manor by 10

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 04/09/2018 10:34:21    2139073

Link

Ballinamore -V- Mohill: Game of the weekend. Two teams that know each other inside out. Terry Hyland will be an interested spectator some top talent on show. Shane Moran has been creating havoc in at full forward and expect to continue at the weekend. Mohill won't show their card yet so expect to be close= Draw

Aughawillan -V- Dromahair: The "Willies" seem to be building up ahead of steam. Dromahair damage limitations might work for them = Willies by 5

Drumreilly -V- Gort: This will be a dog fight with lots to play for on both teams = Draw

Melvin Gael -V- Aughnasheelin: Kinloughs big three of Mulligan, Rooney and McGloin will prove too good for an average neddie side. Melvin by 6

Manor look the team to beat so far. Marys have really surprised me also but lack dynamism

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 06/09/2018 13:33:19    2139813

Link

Quarter finals line up;

Manor v Ballinamore
Carrick v Gortletteragh
Mohill v Melvin Gaels
Aughawillan v Allen Gaels

Relegation;
Dromahair v Aughnasheelin
Bornacoola v Drumreilly

Manor, Carrick, Aughawillan and Mohill would be fancied to get through but i wouldn't rule out a shock or two. Dromahair and Bornacoola for relegation final.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 09/09/2018 09:50:49    2140437

Link

No surprises from the weekend. Exciting quarter finals ahead.

Mohill v Allen gaels - Allen gaels a much better side than recent years, but don't see them having the ability to beat Mohill yet. Especially seeing Keith Beirne is back in town. Mohill by 6

Willies v Melvin gaels - As previously stated Melvin gaels the most unimpressive side this championship, considering the players they have. The hammering willies gave dromahair probably wasnt the best preparation before entering the knockout stages but their still a quality side. Willies by 5

Gortletteragh v St Marys - Should make for a very exciting encounter. 2 teams of similar capabilities. But can see Marys attacking play being too hot to handle for gorts defence. Marys by 2.

Manor v SOH - Cant imagine bmore being too happy with the result against mohill and will want to pick themselves and throw the kitchen sink at this Q final. Currently Manor the only unbeaten team in the championship, they will see this game as just another hurdle to reaching their ultimate goal. Manor by 4.

LENOVO (Australia) - Posts: 36 - 09/09/2018 19:39:46    2140522

Link

Allen Gaels v Mohil = Mohil by 7+ Willies v Melvin Gaels = willies by 4+ Mary's v Gort = Mary's by 4+ Manor v SOH = Draw Intermediate Leitrim Gaels v SOH = Gaels by 7+ Fenagh v Kiltubrid =Fenagh by 8+ Annaduff v Ballinaglera = Annaduff 2+ Eslin V Drumkeerin = Drumkeerin +2

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 09/09/2018 21:46:03    2140563

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Allen Gaels v Mohil = Mohil by 7+ Willies v Melvin Gaels = willies by 4+ Mary's v Gort = Mary's by 4+ Manor v SOH = Draw Intermediate Leitrim Gaels v SOH = Gaels by 7+ Fenagh v Kiltubrid =Fenagh by 8+ Annaduff v Ballinaglera = Annaduff 2+ Eslin V Drumkeerin = Drumkeerin +2"
who will win intermediate? its between fenagh and the Gaels id say!! we need to link league and championship as its just dragging out the inevitable like manor will win senior and fenagh intermediate and they are the two highest ranked teams in each championship

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 11/09/2018 09:15:47    2140929

Link