Fermanagh Forum

National Football League 2019 - Division 2

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just back from Crossmaglen .. strange ground with a superb surface but no real layout for a county ground.
Anyway we never showed up today. Armagh were more aggressive in the tackle and each 50/50 .. we played like a team that was content to stay in div 2 .. no bite no real desire. Armagh were righty playin like it was championship and did well to neutralise our runners like Corrigan and Kelm
We had zero platform in the middle third with Armagh totally dominant on our kick outs which we persisted with driving long even though we lost 2/3s of them.
Now even if we win in Navan next sub we need a favour from Kildare as I also can't see Clare taking points off Meath 2mw
That said we held Armagh to 8 points even though they had 70% possession and the Armagh goal was fortunate to put it mildly and when I saw it go in I knew it wasn't our day
Now the ref did let the borderline legal level of Armagh tackling go every time which was tough on us and showed with not one single lockable free over 70mins and I Accept that they were
More disciplined but their many hits disguised as hard tackling could all have got blown on a different day
Our luck was out but our passion was also out today and the team that wanted it a lot more than us won and deservedly so
Defeat hard to take when you play as poorly as we did though
Anyway it has still been an amazing league and certainly not over yet
I'm expecting a serious reaction next sun in Navan .. we need it

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 16/03/2019 21:38:54    2172813

Link

Cant argue with yesterdays result,Armagh the hungrier team,could certainly tell they were in a relegation scrap with their added bite. Fermanagh were very flat bar mini 10 minute spurt in first half with great points from Ryan Jones and Decky McCusker.

Second half was very poor,couldnt get hands on ball in midfield,while Corrigan,Kelm and McCusker didnt get any penetrating runs at all. Armagh were well prepared for us and as feared recognised our reliance on frees and this highlighted by none scored,we struggle to score from play. With the style of play,if Fermanagh go behind very hard to see them coming back in games(Donegal game exception,though they had 13 men which was factor)

Think have had few passengers being named in forwards(though not playing that role but not contribuitng anything at all on or off ball), this needs looked at as Sean Quigley needs help up there.

There is no doubt it has been a successful league campaign and management have maximised resources available,securing Division 2 football in 2020 was a huge target,which has been achieved.

Meath next will be another tough game, id like to see Barry Mulrone start and few others get some game time, like Tiernan Daly and Darragh McGurn before championship clash with Donegal.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 866 - 17/03/2019 14:55:01    2173050

Link

Looking forward to our match on Sunday. I hope we draw and both get promoted.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2899 - 17/03/2019 23:35:41    2173279

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Looking forward to our match on Sunday. I hope we draw and both get promoted."
A draw will only get us promoted if Donegal DONT win .. a Donegal win means we will need to beat Meaty by 9 points or beat Meath by 3 more than Donegal winning margin over Kildare ..
Whatever we do we need to correct all the mistakes of the second half in Cross and rediscover our mojo which disappeared entirely at half time on sat

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 18/03/2019 00:38:37    2173288

Link

We were just not at the races that day. The only time we looked dangerous in that game was the last 5mins when we went route one football, we created 4 or 5 goal chances. There is nothing wrong with playing route one and leaving a few big men on the edge of the box.

The better team won no conplaints there but the ref seemed to give frees alot easier to the home side.

Watching Fermanagh is not for the pureist.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 18/03/2019 12:08:26    2173366

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "We were just not at the races that day. The only time we looked dangerous in that game was the last 5mins when we went route one football, we created 4 or 5 goal chances. There is nothing wrong with playing route one and leaving a few big men on the edge of the box.

The better team won no conplaints there but the ref seemed to give frees alot easier to the home side.

Watching Fermanagh is not for the pureist."
Early in the second half Fermanagh defenders had possession of the ball near their own goal line. They had at least four opportunities to move the ball up the field but insisted on passing it sideways and backwards till an Armagh forward (Vernon,I think) nipped in to intercept and score a handy point. I felt that was a turning point and said to my friend, also an ardent Fermanagh supporter, "serves them right". I just wonder were those players making their own decisions or acting on instructions.
The long ball in (route one) needs forwards who have a 50/50 chance of catching it or, at least, breaking it down and young Clarke was fairly successful in this regard. Overall however the ability of our big men to attack a high ball, time their jump and bring it down was cruelly exposed. Armagh were able to do this at will in all areas of the pitch.
This is not a criticism. The players are giving of their best and have given us great moments in the past 12 months. Just dont mention Division 1.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 18/03/2019 21:44:50    2173527

Link

Anyway all I want is a reaction on Sunday .. to see that the Armagh match hurt and to see that Gallagher might have made notes on the last 5mins in Cross when we went long and early.. a real match broke out for the last 5 mins it was great !!

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 20/03/2019 20:24:37    2174041

Link

I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting anything from the Meath game not even 5 minutes of domination given the shambles reported from the Armagh encounter. I don't agree with macca999 when he piled on praise to Fermanagh for a good league campaign because if truth be told honestly the team had a freak run bar the Kildare game and circumstantial Donegal game, as it was luck rather than quality play that has seen them through so far. I fear for the championship and the management will have to seriously address shortcomings such as the number of wides and freetaking as well as the sometimes easy penetration of the backline. I think the return of the Corrigans, Mulrone, etc would bring some momentum to the team and add support to the likes of Ciaran Corrigan (a superb performer this season) and other fresher recruits in recent seasons. I hope all goes well on Sunday but the team must rise to the challenge unlike last Saturday.

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 203 - 21/03/2019 15:12:04    2174218

Link

Looks like Meath have a strong starting lineup and having seen them perform previously I reckon Fermanagh will have a real challenge in their hands. Any word on Mulrone?

Meath (Allianz FL v Fermanagh): Andrew Colgan; Seamus Lavin, Conor McGill, Ronan Ryan; James McEntee, Donal Keogan, Shane Gallagher; Bryan Menton, Shane McEntee; Cillian O'Sullivan, Ethan Devine, Darragh Campion; Bryan McMahon, Michael Newman, Thomas O'Reilly. Subs: Marcus Brennan, Michael Burke, Adam Flanagan, Gavin McCoy, Graham Reilly, Eoin Lynch, Barry Dardis, Ben Brennan, James Conlon, Sean Curran, Padraic Harnan.

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 203 - 23/03/2019 19:36:45    2174562

Link

Safe journey to you all today. Hopefully it will be a celebration for both of us

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 16067 - 24/03/2019 11:34:18    2174664

Link

Brutal amount of wides. We should be 6 or 7 points ahead but we're losing by 1

effin (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 24/03/2019 14:45:08    2174696

Link

It's hard to see it now but that was still a great div 2 campaign ... finished with two very rough away assignments
Incredibly yes the previous poster is right that we we were so utterly dominant in opening 20 mins that a score of 9-0 would not have flattered us .. it was like mayo away a few years ago the only diff being that they just didn't sail over today .. Gallagher Cleary told the lads to shoot on site as Cully has two punts inside the first 15 to probably double his career of shots for county
Very brave move switching keeper and after I got over the shock in the stand I reckon it was a brave move with Meath no doubt studying Treacy inside out all week
Anyway huge number of positives from the campaign .. now let's just figure out this scoring lark !!!!

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 24/03/2019 19:14:18    2174879

Link

As expected a tough game from a pumped Meath team wanting to seal promotion in style,Navan definitely isnt a good hunting ground for Fermanagh. Though yet again lack of instinctive scorers cost us with 10 wides in the first half,some very poor,if had taken these Fermanagh easily could have been 8/9 nil up.

Its been a regular problem throughout campaign and im sure there has been alot of work on shooting done but when look at it, the majority of players are defensive, sometimes you cant teach the natural finishing qualities at this level,so no matter how much some work on it they never going to be comfortable shooting.

Overall it has been a positive league campaign,from the outset retaining Division Two status was the target from outset, especially with only 3 home games and after first game v Cork looked ominous. Great displays v Kildare and Donegal yielded wins and the objective changed towards promotion, management/players are rightly ambitious though we all knew two tough away games to end campaign.

The positives of the league include, comfortably staying up, the emergence of Johnny Cassidy and Ultan Kelm, performances of Ciaran Corrigan, excellent work-rate and good discipline.

A good break now before huge test at home to Donegal in Brewster Park, be good to let players get back playing with clubs. Theres few players who didnt perform to levels capable of throughout the league, Breen and Ryan Jones will be looking to have more impact when championship starts.
Certainly think if want to test Donegal will need to change the team slightly that has been featuring in the league, players like Barry Mulrone, Mickey Jones, Ruairi Corrigan and Darragh McGurn all be worth consideration.

To beat Donegal in dry conditions be needing a tally of at least 1-12, which havnt hit throughout the league. Need to look at ways of getting more support for Sean Quigley, play Conal Jones/McGurn in with him perhaps.

Lots to ponder in build up to Ulster Final rematch. Objective 1 for 2019 achieved lets hope can push on now in Championship

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 866 - 24/03/2019 22:55:15    2175032

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "It's hard to see it now but that was still a great div 2 campaign ... finished with two very rough away assignments
Incredibly yes the previous poster is right that we we were so utterly dominant in opening 20 mins that a score of 9-0 would not have flattered us .. it was like mayo away a few years ago the only diff being that they just didn't sail over today .. Gallagher Cleary told the lads to shoot on site as Cully has two punts inside the first 15 to probably double his career of shots for county
Very brave move switching keeper and after I got over the shock in the stand I reckon it was a brave move with Meath no doubt studying Treacy inside out all week
Anyway huge number of positives from the campaign .. now let's just figure out this scoring lark !!!!"
Unlucky lads. If we'd have beaten Donegal or you beat Armagh you'd be in Div 1. Those are the margins. Succesful campaign and best of luck in ulster.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2899 - 24/03/2019 23:47:05    2175058

Link

Is it not possible, Macca ,that some of those players you mention could replace Sean, rather than supporting him. Maybe someone would be in a position to provide a table of scores from play over the 7 games.
When I first saw the list of fixtures I dreaded those last two away games but then I thought we would be going to Armagh and Navan seeking points for survival. Thanks to the players and management for sparing us that trauma. Overall we had a good campaign and finished with about 25 or thirty shots at the posts yesterday. That is a massive improvement on our earlier matches. We can now look forward with quiet confidence to 2 - or more? -games in the Championship.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 25/03/2019 09:53:57    2175150

Link

Replying To macca999:  "As expected a tough game from a pumped Meath team wanting to seal promotion in style,Navan definitely isnt a good hunting ground for Fermanagh. Though yet again lack of instinctive scorers cost us with 10 wides in the first half,some very poor,if had taken these Fermanagh easily could have been 8/9 nil up.

Its been a regular problem throughout campaign and im sure there has been alot of work on shooting done but when look at it, the majority of players are defensive, sometimes you cant teach the natural finishing qualities at this level,so no matter how much some work on it they never going to be comfortable shooting.

Overall it has been a positive league campaign,from the outset retaining Division Two status was the target from outset, especially with only 3 home games and after first game v Cork looked ominous. Great displays v Kildare and Donegal yielded wins and the objective changed towards promotion, management/players are rightly ambitious though we all knew two tough away games to end campaign.

The positives of the league include, comfortably staying up, the emergence of Johnny Cassidy and Ultan Kelm, performances of Ciaran Corrigan, excellent work-rate and good discipline.

A good break now before huge test at home to Donegal in Brewster Park, be good to let players get back playing with clubs. Theres few players who didnt perform to levels capable of throughout the league, Breen and Ryan Jones will be looking to have more impact when championship starts.
Certainly think if want to test Donegal will need to change the team slightly that has been featuring in the league, players like Barry Mulrone, Mickey Jones, Ruairi Corrigan and Darragh McGurn all be worth consideration.

To beat Donegal in dry conditions be needing a tally of at least 1-12, which havnt hit throughout the league. Need to look at ways of getting more support for Sean Quigley, play Conal Jones/McGurn in with him perhaps.

Lots to ponder in build up to Ulster Final rematch. Objective 1 for 2019 achieved lets hope can push on now in Championship"
Right Macca, many would see you as a bit too generous to the team and their management in your comments...you would make a good spin-doctor!
Looking realistically, Fermanagh had the game for the taking but blew it with heir awful ball finishing. Serious thinking as to how to deal with the obvious weakness in the forward line delivering results will be the biggest challenge facing Rory and Ricey in preparation for the championship....but can they succeed? My feeling that replacements for Seamie Quigley and Tomas Corrigan haven't lived up to expectations and looking how many wides Conal Jones created goes some way to prove my point. I observe comments by Kesh GFC where she/he is suggesting that Tomas Corrigan if he became available is not wanted by the team/management which is a crazy situation and beggars belief given that Fermanagh has limited a talent resource being one of the smallest counties in the country in terms of GAA member numbers.
Assessing the NFL campaign from a football skill perspective, Fermanagh has not been consistent and for by sporadic bouts of great play I have to say that luck play the most significant part of the team's success with in some cases scraping through by the thinnest of margins. I'm glad that Fermanagh has not been promoted as they are neither ready or capable of staying up if the situation had been realised.
Finally, my top players choice from the NFL would be Ultan Kelm and Ciaran Corrigan and the rest of the bunch have fallen short of expectations and they would probably acknowledge themselves.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1218 - 25/03/2019 10:22:12    2175171

Link

I wouldnt select any forwards for our inability to rack up decent scores. You need 10-12 lads on the pitch who can score from 30 yards and if not you are in big trouble
Midfielders need to be able to finish, half backs need to take scores easily as with the modern game these are who the chances fall to. Meath opened nervously and we were ruthless for all of 4 minutes then we lost the run of ourselves and our shots would suck the confidence out of any team. meath were also clueless in attack for those first 15-20 mins and we swallowed them up with ease. If we had steadied and tagged on 3 or 4 more points we'd have witnessed a right royal panic but we let them out of the vice grip we had on the game and let the, find their way back
I agree that 3 or 4 players have really come of age this league. Kelm Cassidy and Corrigan in particular shone very bright over the 7 games
Gallagher has given us the structure to have an excellent platform to go on and win all matches we've been involved in this season but we need to score 12+ points every day we go out from now on, friendlies or whatever. I know Tyrone have a dedicated forwards coach, we need something similar, the lads are fit enough the know the system and execute it well, just need to go to finishing school
More goal chances have fallen to Kelm this year than anyone else, we/he was through several times in first half and just needs that composure to find the net.
And why havent we tried McGurn more. Anyone in Navan yesterday would have witnessed how vital Micky Newman was for them as a big tall fast two footed target man, we badly need one and McGurn could be such a man or grow into the role
but hell loads of positives from this season and now Donegal are going well and have notions of themselves again thats just how we want them coming into Brewster Park.

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 25/03/2019 11:19:35    2175202

Link

We came flying out of the blocks. We could have and should have scored more especially with the strong wind in our favour. We dominated in midfeild and were winning every breaking ball. When Meath did attack us they could not break us down.

I am not going to cry about the amount of wides we hit cause at least they were creating chances and having a go, but there decision making of where they where shooting from where from far out and awkward angles.

Meath evenually woke up and game changed in particular in the second half when they had had the strong wind with them. Their kick outs bypassed or midfield and left our defence exposed. With their long tactic they also bypassed or sweeper Lyons/McManhon. Meath created numerous goal chances and should have won by more, they went easy on us by opting for a point on a few ocassions rather going for goal.

Due to our style of play we don't create many goal chances, so if we go behind in a game by more than 2 points we don't look like we are getting back into the game. The blanket defence is ulgy to watch but it is effective. I have a slight concern with our style of play that long term our players might burn themselves out, because they have to be fit to round up and down that pitch a lot and they have to break a lot of tackles therefore I think they will pick up lots of injuries. So when they get to around the age of 27/28 they look done. Which for a small county it is hard to compete at a high level on a consistent basis if our players our burntout by that stage.

I wonder what the players themselves think about our style of play. There is a question that appears regularly in the match day programs asked to the players what the best game they have ever played in, I don't think to many of players could pick to many of note under Rory. As a fan it is hard to watch and it kills the atmosphere in the crowd. This might discourage children from playing the game if they don't see any excitment watching it. Two of the best games I have witnessed was againist Dublin and Roscommon. If anyone watched the MacRory Cup final lately it was far more enjoyable to watch than both the Armagh and Meath games.

I think that our style has to change in the future and we have to be more adventurous. I don't think we will win a ulster until we do, Tyrone are trying to evole their style at minute. After all football is suppose to be enteraining and scores win matches. I think we need to get rid of our samll county complex and go out and have a go againist teams. Lets go toe to toe with other teams and see what happens leave more players in the forward line and play quick ball or more route one football into them. It would be more interesting to watch and we might surpise ourselves. I would like to see more of Garvan Jones, Mcgurn, Connor McGee and hopefully next year we might see some of the MacRory players coming through like B Horan, M Glynn, D MacBrien and T Keenan.

God I love a good rant.

For all my complaing well done to the players and backroom team the league has been very successful and hopefully the same next year but we have turn our attentions to Donegal and a good run in the championship. Bring them on Come on Fermanagh.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 25/03/2019 21:53:48    2175432

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "We came flying out of the blocks. We could have and should have scored more especially with the strong wind in our favour. We dominated in midfeild and were winning every breaking ball. When Meath did attack us they could not break us down.

I am not going to cry about the amount of wides we hit cause at least they were creating chances and having a go, but there decision making of where they where shooting from where from far out and awkward angles.

Meath evenually woke up and game changed in particular in the second half when they had had the strong wind with them. Their kick outs bypassed or midfield and left our defence exposed. With their long tactic they also bypassed or sweeper Lyons/McManhon. Meath created numerous goal chances and should have won by more, they went easy on us by opting for a point on a few ocassions rather going for goal.

Due to our style of play we don't create many goal chances, so if we go behind in a game by more than 2 points we don't look like we are getting back into the game. The blanket defence is ulgy to watch but it is effective. I have a slight concern with our style of play that long term our players might burn themselves out, because they have to be fit to round up and down that pitch a lot and they have to break a lot of tackles therefore I think they will pick up lots of injuries. So when they get to around the age of 27/28 they look done. Which for a small county it is hard to compete at a high level on a consistent basis if our players our burntout by that stage.

I wonder what the players themselves think about our style of play. There is a question that appears regularly in the match day programs asked to the players what the best game they have ever played in, I don't think to many of players could pick to many of note under Rory. As a fan it is hard to watch and it kills the atmosphere in the crowd. This might discourage children from playing the game if they don't see any excitment watching it. Two of the best games I have witnessed was againist Dublin and Roscommon. If anyone watched the MacRory Cup final lately it was far more enjoyable to watch than both the Armagh and Meath games.

I think that our style has to change in the future and we have to be more adventurous. I don't think we will win a ulster until we do, Tyrone are trying to evole their style at minute. After all football is suppose to be enteraining and scores win matches. I think we need to get rid of our samll county complex and go out and have a go againist teams. Lets go toe to toe with other teams and see what happens leave more players in the forward line and play quick ball or more route one football into them. It would be more interesting to watch and we might surpise ourselves. I would like to see more of Garvan Jones, Mcgurn, Connor McGee and hopefully next year we might see some of the MacRory players coming through like B Horan, M Glynn, D MacBrien and T Keenan.

God I love a good rant.

For all my complaing well done to the players and backroom team the league has been very successful and hopefully the same next year but we have turn our attentions to Donegal and a good run in the championship. Bring them on Come on Fermanagh."
I'm inspired reading your "rant" as indeed comments from erneboy since both of you (unlike the waffling of maccaa999 and KeshGFC) raised and highlighted some crucial aspects of the game that Fermanagh's management need to swiftly address if the team is to make sufficient headway in the Ulster C'ship on May 26th given that their opponents, Donegal more or less trounced them in last year's Ulster final. Let's hope that Gallagher & co do manage to get defective aspects of the team play such as scoring sorted and harden up defence and focus on Donegal's weakest points so that Fermanagh's journey is extended beyond the first round.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 746 - 26/03/2019 08:01:11    2175469

Link

Replying To gaalltheway:  "I'm inspired reading your "rant" as indeed comments from erneboy since both of you (unlike the waffling of maccaa999 and KeshGFC) raised and highlighted some crucial aspects of the game that Fermanagh's management need to swiftly address if the team is to make sufficient headway in the Ulster C'ship on May 26th given that their opponents, Donegal more or less trounced them in last year's Ulster final. Let's hope that Gallagher & co do manage to get defective aspects of the team play such as scoring sorted and harden up defence and focus on Donegal's weakest points so that Fermanagh's journey is extended beyond the first round."
gaalltheway, in your comment you say management need focus on " gettingscoring sorted and harden up defence" im sure they may have already thought of this insight already.

You say focus on Donegal's weakest points, what do you think they are now??

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 866 - 26/03/2019 10:03:48    2175486

Link