Fermanagh Forum

National Football League 2019 - Division 2

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "This match almost feels like a final. I'd love if you won and also if Meath and Fermanagh competed in the final. Our last round fixture is looking like it will have a lot at stake."
I'd be happy for the match in Navan to have nothing at stake for us !

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 22/02/2019 11:03:32    2166919

Link

Hi guys can anyone tell me what's the parking like near the Letterkenny pitch? I know it the pitch is out in the backwoods so I was wondering if one has to walk far to access the pitch from parking areas?

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 24/02/2019 07:48:36    2167387

Link

Donegal 0-10 Fermanagh 0-13 and well done a fantastic result! Well worth the walk!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 24/02/2019 15:47:22    2167511

Link

Great performance and result today. An opportunity presented itself and we seized it. Congratulations to players and management. If we show the same intensity and adventure against Clare we should be capable of getting 2 points. Thats all we need and we can then enjoy the last two matches.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 24/02/2019 18:21:49    2167610

Link

Well done lads! What a win over your neighbours. Div 1 is getting close! Best of luck vs Clare.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2899 - 24/02/2019 20:37:16    2167688

Link

Great performance and result today. An opportunity presented itself and we seized it. Congratulations to players and management. If we show the same intensity and adventure against Clare we should be capable of getting 2 points. That's all we need and we can then enjoy the last two matches.
fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 24/02/2019 18:21:49

Ahh come on man! Are we content now just to be safe? Lets be honest, how often do the likes of us get a chance to be at the top table of national league football?
I don't want to sound like I'm jumping the gun, BUT….. why could we not go and beat Clare Armagh and Meath? Of course we all would have accepted safety in division 2 before a ball was thrown up in 2019, but surely the target must now be promotion, and anything less at this stage would be disappointment.

Its testament to the lads and management for the work they have put in. Fair play! Keep er lit.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 264 - 25/02/2019 08:42:29    2167828

Link

Well done to our Fermanagh team yesterday. The circumstances favoured us and advantage was well taken. Now it's Clare next which shouldn't be a problem an d then Armagh with the biggest challenge being from Meath. Div2 placing most likely to be retained and there is potential for promotion too! What more can we ask for?
Note: mr_gaa1 what's your issue about the Co Board not populating Twitter with constant updates? e social media platforms updating is a voluntary action and no one is compelled to do it. Just remember the GAA run by volunteers!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 951 - 25/02/2019 09:11:32    2167841

Link

Maintaining div2 status remains priority .. anyway div1 might be great for county funds and we might get on the tellie now and again but it might be a bad thing for the team long term ...... steady as she goes ... ... though he'll saying that if we go up great .. I will be the first to admit I didn't know where our scores would come from and how our style of play would get us anywhere in div 2 ... but then again that's why I'm a youth team club manager and not an intercounty one !! ... let her long boys let her in

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 25/02/2019 10:19:22    2167874

Link

Great result. Lets hope we can do the same when the championship comes around. Think that was the best we have preformed this year so far.

Donegal found it very hard to break us down think they only scored 1 point in the 2nd half. We transfered the ball better from the defence to attack. Would still like to leave more bodies in the forward line have said this before, see Colm O'Rourke said the same thing last night on the sunday game when he was talking about Galway. He also mentioned to win againist MOST teams you need to score at least 14 points in a game. Yes before someone mentions this I know our score ended 13points to 10points.

Two bad results for donegal, us and tip. Ryan Mchugh is class player to watch.

Sean quigley looks to be in the best phyisical condition that he has been for a while now. keep it up.

Thought we controlled the midfeild won a lot of breaking ball. This was even more impressive considering we had no donnelly. We had a few chances of a goal but we could do with improving our dicision making and our killer instincts.

The star players for me where Ciaran Corrigan, James McMahon and Declan McCusker. The whole team played well though. Ciaran Corrigan won alot of breaking ball and scored 4 points and James McMahon read the game really well and broke down alot of their attacks.

Think Rory and the team are doing very well, they are blending youth with experience, the likes of Ultra Kelm and Cassidy. Would still like to see more playing time for McGurn and Garvan Jones.

Happy to stay in Div 2, would be nice to go up to div 1 but think it would be demoralising if we went up and got hammered in every game. If this did happen I would still be there cheering them on.

Sorry went on a bit of a rant bring on clare.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 25/02/2019 18:44:15    2168109

Link

Great result yesterday,even more so after trailing 8-4 at half time against 14 men,in a first half where Donegal looked in cruise control with Ryan McHugh causing plenty of problems(as did in Ulster Final).

Fermanagh started the second half with much greater intensity, which Gallagher himself highlighted(evident even before the ball was thrown in with the schmozzle that went up). First half was very pedestrian,didnt pressure Donegal players on the ball, some customary bad wides but second half there was a determined energy,every player battled greatly for every ball. We won the midfield sector and the hunger for breaking ball was very impressive at set the platform to push on.

There is no doubting that the fact Donegal had 13 players for the last 10 minutes helped Fermanagh to this win, be foolish to ignore this but was encouraging to see Fermanagh manage the game and see it out without allowing Donegal any near misses. This experience of tight games is invaluable for the team looking forward,plus builds belief in what they are doing.

A good team performance with excellent displays from James McMahon, Ultan Kelm, Che Cullen and the superb Ciaran Corrigan( could have had another few scores even). The way Fermanagh play speed and counter attacking is key, Cullen and Corrigan were brilliant at making incisive runs to open up Donegal defence. Though Che Cullen was fantastic in middle,could be option to remain here Lee doing well at FB,then hopefully Eoin Donnelly back,management could look to move Ryan Jones in half forward line,certainly give a more physical presence in middle sector.

The team ethic and work rate is fantastic, really have to admire the squad for their commitment and effort. At times we come into criticism for negative style and it isnt always for the purists but you have to commend Gallagher and management, every players understands their role and whats expected of them. Ive seen many teams put 15 players behind the ball but teams still score at will against them,with Fermanagh every player in the system influences the attacking teams threat. There is no doubt also that we are creating more chances going forward,but still need to be more accurate. Need to keep evolving this,we have seen that come summer and harder ground teams with very defensive set-ups be limited when meet stronger counties.
For another game Teague was substituted before half time,indiscipline is a factor here,we cant keep wasting a sub so early in games,perhaps another option here(if Paul McCusker fight to start Sunday)

The table looks great,but its still a case of one game at a time,Division 2 status not yet secure. Clare will be another tough test(any team with Gary Brennan, Sexton and Tubridy will be a threat), they will look at it as must win. Fermanagh need to bring same workrate from yesterday from first throw in on Sunday. Dont forget,Tipp play Cork Saturday, plus finish up v Clare,nature of this division is that position can change quickly,if both those sides had 5 on table points Sunday evening, Fermanaghs games v Armagh and Meath would look a bit more daunting. Id rather go into those games with status secure,looking to keep winning into May and maybe allow game time into returning players such as Barry Mulrone, Mickey Jones, Ruairi and Tomas Corrigan ahead of a championship battle with Donegal.

I think that trainer Leon Carters deserves huge credit,he has had this Fermanagh team in serious condition through the Pete McGrath tenure and continues to work wonders as part of Gallaghers team.

Well done lads and keep up the great work, hopefully a strong show of support in Brewster Sunday to give you the backing your effort deserves!!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 866 - 25/02/2019 21:02:08    2168160

Link

NFL Division 2 update:
Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Meath 4 3 0 1 66 52 6
2 Fermanagh 4 2 2 0 40 35 6
3 Kildare 4 2 1 1 52 45 5
4 Armagh 4 1 2 1 61 61 4
5 Donegal 4 2 0 2 55 58 4
6 Clare 4 1 1 2 64 64 3
7 Tipperary 4 1 1 2 52 57 3
8 Cork 4 0 1 3 43 61 1

Next fixture:
NFL Div Rnd 5
Fermanagh v Clare at Brewster Pk @ 2pm

Not sure if this forthcoming game will be a walkover but Fermanagh remains in a strong position whatever happens.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1218 - 25/02/2019 21:24:43    2168171

Link

me reads that most posts accept maca999s talk about promotin or the danger of promotin as we be betters staying in d2 as we wuld be more suited ther. i agrees wif those dat say we wolds better in d2 buts why turn down the chance of going ups to play agianst the big boys ands just think of the dubs and kerry playing at brewster now dat wulds be good for the coffers and not to speak of the experence our players wuld gains at tis high level so tell me macc999 wat do u thinks?

The_Lug_Coa (Fermanagh) - Posts: 388 - 25/02/2019 23:44:51    2168210

Link

Replying To The_Lug_Coa:  "me reads that most posts accept maca999s talk about promotin or the danger of promotin as we be betters staying in d2 as we wuld be more suited ther. i agrees wif those dat say we wolds better in d2 buts why turn down the chance of going ups to play agianst the big boys ands just think of the dubs and kerry playing at brewster now dat wulds be good for the coffers and not to speak of the experence our players wuld gains at tis high level so tell me macc999 wat do u thinks?"
aye half the time I say go for it ...be great experience ...the rest of the time I think stay in Div 2 and condolidate
Though I remember fondly Dubs in Brewster in 2005 or 2006 I cant remember and the intimidating atmosphere for Mossy Quinn's last minute free to equalise it for them, he missed and a famous victory was recorded. I was in Parnell Park the next year to watch a hammering but moving swiftly on...My heart says go for it ...Div 1...and I know Treacy Concrete has been some servant to Fermanagh football but surely we need a second sponsor, most county teams carry a sponsor front and back now and we could do with the extra revenue and a high profile div 1 team would carry a higher price tag for the privlege !!!

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 26/02/2019 14:40:13    2168375

Link

Fixture update
National Football League Division 2 Round 5
Sun, Mar 3, 2019
Fermanagh v Clare
At Brewster Park @ 14:00

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1218 - 28/02/2019 09:28:39    2168824

Link

Has the Armagh match been moved to Crossmaglen at 3pm next sat 16th March can anyone confirm ? I see it listed as same in The fixtures on fermanagh gas.ie.. pain in the ass if true

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 01/03/2019 12:38:36    2169124

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Has the Armagh match been moved to Crossmaglen at 3pm next sat 16th March can anyone confirm ? I see it listed as same in The fixtures on fermanagh gas.ie.. pain in the ass if true"
Yes it's true and I don't see why it should be such an issue? If you are a true supporter you will be there mate, pains or no pains in your rear end! See confirmation link https://www.gaa.ie/football/football-league-roinn-2/armagh-fermanagh/1495823/

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 01/03/2019 20:54:49    2169261

Link

Any word on Donnelly is he available for the weekend?

weemanmc (Fermanagh) - Posts: 102 - 01/03/2019 23:16:11    2169308

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Yes it's true and I don't see why it should be such an issue? If you are a true supporter you will be there mate, pains or no pains in your rear end! See confirmation link https://www.gaa.ie/football/football-league-roinn-2/armagh-fermanagh/1495823/"
Oh I'll be there Mate ... still a pain in the ass MATE .. and I sense it's no accident that they are dragging us down there...mate

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 02/03/2019 00:04:29    2169317

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Oh I'll be there Mate ... still a pain in the ass MATE .. and I sense it's no accident that they are dragging us down there...mate"
I agree DD as given the importance of the Armagh game and the venue change isn't helpful and is very likely to reduce the number of travelling Fermanagh supporters. Fermanagh need a win against Armagh to secure their placing at the top, that's assuming that they beat Clare and that Kildare beat Meath this weekend. The biggest hurdle I see for Fermanagh is in their round 7 encounter against Meath away and that will be the real decider how well Fermanagh has done in this year's NFL. Hopefully, that assessment hasn't confused the mass between your ears! By the way, just for clarity, your reference to the pain the word in your postings is spelled incorrectly and correctly should include an "r" and an "e" and one "s" less!

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 203 - 02/03/2019 14:21:34    2169405

Link

Replying To TurnipHead.:  "I agree DD as given the importance of the Armagh game and the venue change isn't helpful and is very likely to reduce the number of travelling Fermanagh supporters. Fermanagh need a win against Armagh to secure their placing at the top, that's assuming that they beat Clare and that Kildare beat Meath this weekend. The biggest hurdle I see for Fermanagh is in their round 7 encounter against Meath away and that will be the real decider how well Fermanagh has done in this year's NFL. Hopefully, that assessment hasn't confused the mass between your ears! By the way, just for clarity, your reference to the pain the word in your postings is spelled incorrectly and correctly should include an "r" and an "e" and one "s" less!"
Fermanagh has already done very well and if they can get a result against Clare tomorrow they can experiment and enjoy the Armagh and Meath games.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 02/03/2019 20:13:03    2169487

Link