(2.0): Donegal v Kildare
(2.0): Meath v Fermanagh
(2.0): Tipperary v Clare

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1221 - 11/01/2019 09:40:46    2156531

Link

Sunday 27th January 2019
National Football League 2019 - Division 2 Round 1
Fermanagh v Cork at Brewster Park @ 2pm

Prediction: A draw if Fermanagh can contain the sharp Cork rebel forwards.

Tickets:
Adult Pre-Purchase: €15/£14
Adult Match-Day: €20/£19
Juveniles: Free

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1221 - 21/01/2019 23:24:45    2158800

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Sunday 27th January 2019
Fermanagh v Cork at Brewster Park @ 2pm

Prediction: A draw if Fermanagh can contain the sharp Cork rebel forwards.

Tickets:
Adult Pre-Purchase: €15/£14
Adult Match-Day: €20/£19
Juveniles: Free"
You sure about those ticket prices there chief ?? €20 for league match is crazy

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 22/01/2019 13:24:13    2158882

Link

Here is the sports media's prediction for the outcome of this season's NFL div2...
Winners: Donegal
Runners-up: Armagh
Relegation: Fermanagh, Clare
Outright odds (PaddyPower): Donegal 5/4; Kildare 4/1; Cork 11/2; Armagh 13/2; Meath 7/1; Tipperary 10/1; Clare 25/1; Fermanagh 25/1
Anyone agree? macca999, what do u think?

Wired2theMoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 24/01/2019 18:56:02    2159333

Link

The start of a challenging Division 2 campaign this week,with a vital visit of Cork. A good start to the league is crucial and with only 3 home games even more so for Fermanagh this year.

6 points is the minimum if want to maintain Division 2 status,so home games against Cork, Kildare and Clare will be vital, with next weekends long away trip to Tipperary looking the beast chance of away points.
The media have Clare and Fermanagh as favourites,think Tipperary(4 home games) will be in that dogfight with us which will go to the wire. Id expect Donegal and Armagh to go up,Kildare have under 20s coming through but with Daniel Flynn and few others missing dont think they be as strong as previous. Cork and Meath continue to deceive from week to week.

Cork will be coming expecting 2 points,been highlighted this week that they dont travel well,which im sure will add motivation to them.
Hard to predict Fermanagh team for his week with injuries etc,would hope to see Che Cullen, Mickey Jones, Barry Mulrone, the McCuskers and Sean Quigley back after missing the McKenna Cup.
From the January games, think it has to be Treacy in goals,would hope to see Daly start in the backline. The forward line looks short, with McGurn showing promise but cant expect him to carry too much in first season, going to need Conal Jones and Aidan Breen adding scores regularly.

Cork usually a strong physical team,with Hurley and Connolly scoring threats while Ian Maguire in midfield will be a driving force, so Fermanagh need to bring maximum intensity.
Defence was obviously a focus least year for management after the goals conceded in 2017 campaign, this was part of improvement but to win key matches in division 2 we are going to need a more attacking impetus to beat better teams. Lets hope we see that on Sunday and start 2019 season positively

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 867 - 24/01/2019 19:52:59    2159338

Link

I see this morning after a heavy rain shower surface water lying on Brewster park pitch but hopefully the weather is kinder tomorrow for our meet with the rebels. I wouldn't rate the Cork team as anyway exceptional so our Erne lads can give them a good game and edge a win and this would be a great way to start what is likely to be a very challenging league campaign at his higher level. Hopefully all will be a worth it and good luck to Fermanagh tomorrow!

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 746 - 26/01/2019 10:13:09    2159618

Link

Result:
Fermanagh 0-8 Cork 1-5

Fermanagh starting team: Thomas Treacy, Jonny Cassidy, Che Cullen, Lee Cullen, Ultan Kelm, James McMahon, Kane Connor, Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones, Aidan Breen (0-1), Declan McCusker (0-1), Ciaran Corrigan (0-1), Daniel Teague (0-1), Conall Jones (0-2, 0-1f)), Kevin McDonnell.
Substitutions: Sean Quigley (0-1f) for Kevin McDonnell, Ryan Lyons on for Kane Connor, Garvan Jones for Daniel Teague, Darragh McGurn for James McMahon, Shane McGullion for Declan McCusker.

Other NFL Div 2 Rd 1 results:
Clare 0-13 Donegal 0-16
Kildare 0-14 Armagh 1-11
Meath 0-15 Tipperary 1-08

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1221 - 27/01/2019 15:49:00    2159916

Link

Thought we were poor today. We didn't deserve to win and were lucky to even get a draw tbh. A lot of running about and passing but no end product and far too often we ended up passing back into our own half, it's like we're afraid to shoot.

Anybody know what the story with the scoreboards in Brewster is? One isn't working at all and the other doesn't show the right score most of the time.

effin (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 27/01/2019 17:19:49    2159978

Link

Relieved to get a draw but on reflection definitely a game should have been winning, wasted alot of god scoring opportunities in second half, wides,balls shot and wrong decision making(Kelm especially with goal effort after advantage)

First half was poorest seen in long time,hugely defensive,no attacking movement off the ball and slow moving the ball with Cork also retreating alot of bodies behind ball,resulting in only 5 scores in whole half.
Second half Fermanagh scored 3 points from play within 7 minutes as they ran direct and moved ball quickly(the obvious thing to get scores but we dont do it enough). Midfield well beaten unit Cork red card(their management should have took him off after first booking, Fermanagh targeted him straight away after interval)

Looking at the fixtures A draw was the least Fermanagh needed from this game, Cork are poor and will certainly be closer to bottom of table than top. Game away to Tipp looks best opportunity of points of the road, hopefully Sean Quigley be 100% clear not today when didnt want to take 45 or free off the ground second half.

The defence was good,supported by plenty of bodies,the Cullens were solid as every, Treacy made a crucial save second half and thought Decky McCusker did well considering his break

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 867 - 27/01/2019 18:15:42    2160005

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Relieved to get a draw but on reflection definitely a game should have been winning, wasted alot of god scoring opportunities in second half, wides,balls shot and wrong decision making(Kelm especially with goal effort after advantage)

First half was poorest seen in long time,hugely defensive,no attacking movement off the ball and slow moving the ball with Cork also retreating alot of bodies behind ball,resulting in only 5 scores in whole half.
Second half Fermanagh scored 3 points from play within 7 minutes as they ran direct and moved ball quickly(the obvious thing to get scores but we dont do it enough). Midfield well beaten unit Cork red card(their management should have took him off after first booking, Fermanagh targeted him straight away after interval)

Looking at the fixtures A draw was the least Fermanagh needed from this game, Cork are poor and will certainly be closer to bottom of table than top. Game away to Tipp looks best opportunity of points of the road, hopefully Sean Quigley be 100% clear not today when didnt want to take 45 or free off the ground second half.

The defence was good,supported by plenty of bodies,the Cullens were solid as every, Treacy made a crucial save second half and thought Decky McCusker did well considering his break"
Get over yourself mate. Fermanagh were just being cautious and defensive but they certainly lifted the game with second their half scoring. with potential for more on the board. Don't agree with you about your Kelm comment as it easy sitting in the comfort of the stand compared with having to make an on field quick decision. Also the Cullens did make an effort but well short of their previous season's performance. The forward line was a bit ropey and I would think it needs the return of Tomas Corrigan, Also, Conor McGee was missed. Looks as if Teacey is definitely the best man for the nets and should have featured more often in key games in the last few years. I thought Teague wasn't bad today and has come along well in recent seasons. So macca, irrespective of your criticism of players on a bitterly cold winter's day, I believe Gallagher made the right game plan and refined well for the second half. However, all in all Fermanagh done well to get a league point from today's showing. Next up is Tipp and Gallagher will want to take home league 2pts which should help build confidence going forward. As for the shambles of the scoreboard and indeed their PA system, it's time the Gaels got their act together given all the dosh they get from hosting the county games!

AuldGussie (Fermanagh) - Posts: 71 - 27/01/2019 20:03:37    2160082

Link

We saw the best and worst football yesterday finished off by some vintage Fermanagh .. and I mean that literally not admiringly !!
First half was as low as we can go .. no one outside our own 45 for most of the time.. when we broke we had no where to go.. it was horrible
Third quarter was awesome with hard running in numbers and bodies committed forward
Final quarter was vintage Fermanagh with wasteful shooting and poor decision making when in the final third of pitch .. we threw it away in final quarter
Also have we abandoned the option of a mark.. none taken until the 74th minute.. someone please send Rory a copy of Monaghan performance who used the mark to great benefit all day long yesterday
I said yesterday would decide our season .. a draw means that decision is delayed a week !

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 28/01/2019 13:25:02    2160378

Link

My God. when you read effin's, macc999's and KeshGFC's pessimistic comments that our guys where useless yesterday. Okay we had better days on the pitch but this all doom and gloom is stretching things out of proportion. If our guys were so bad as these scribes above suggest, how come they held the rebels to a draw??
i have a notion macca and kesh scribes might be one in the same person which wouldn't surprise many from previous behaviour over the years on hoganstand forum.
What is the prediction for the Tipp game??

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1149 - 28/01/2019 21:29:51    2160563

Link

Replying To Coa_gael:  "My God. when you read effin's, macc999's and KeshGFC's pessimistic comments that our guys where useless yesterday. Okay we had better days on the pitch but this all doom and gloom is stretching things out of proportion. If our guys were so bad as these scribes above suggest, how come they held the rebels to a draw??
i have a notion macca and kesh scribes might be one in the same person which wouldn't surprise many from previous behaviour over the years on hoganstand forum.
What is the prediction for the Tipp game??"
My prediction is that coa Gael will continue to avoid committing to an opinion .. I don't know enough about Tipp for any predictions .. it's a pitch as big as Croke Park so mightn't suit our "style" .. anyone who wasn't gloomy after watching that first half is numb from the neck up though !.. just my humble opinion

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 28/01/2019 21:47:05    2160576

Link

Yes the Scoreboards really is a shambles at Brewster Park.

Club grounds in the county have better scoreboards. Belcoo, Devenish and Kinawley to name a few.
If u seen Sunday game footage the Meath Scoreboard is excellent. Team crest and all on the scoreboard.

The one they use now has letters of different colours and sizes! The good electric one was excellent and had a clock but hasnt been used in years! Have we no electricians about that could look at it!!
Give Aidan Breen the night off training to fix it Rory!!

The half time draw, Clubhouse and tuck shop is bound to be bringing the Gaels in plenty of money!!

From being at county board meetings i do wonder were the money is going too!!

VODAFONE (Fermanagh) - Posts: 80 - 29/01/2019 17:15:11    2160769

Link

VODAFONE, before you criticise Brewster Park's facilities. may I ask you if your Derrygonnelly scoreboard has been modernised? You lot as still living in the dark ages so to speak. From memory your ancient scoreboard comprised of portable chalkboard numbers slotted into a recess by a few cubs on a wooden lookout post who didn't always get the scores accurate!.

As for the provision refreshments at Brewster Park, these are provided by volunteers and there isn't a big revenue return, The Gaels Club put a lot of effort in on match-day with stewarding, safety, catering and deserve praise rather than negative comments coming from what appears to be ill-informed rural-based scribes to this forum.

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 228 - 29/01/2019 20:24:43    2160800

Link

Said this before but I am going to say it again anyhow. I am all for having a defensive structure but there has to be a bit of a balance for a counter attack. In the 1st half we had everyone in our own half. In my opinion the full forward line must stay up front and atleast one of the half forwards preferably 2. I would be ok with useing 2/3 of the half forwards to helpout the defence and mid depending on what system being used.
In the 2nd half we actually tried to attack and breen hit 2 good points and Ciaran Corrigan scored a goid point. Garvan Jones free kick looked over from where I was sitting, if that was in croker it would have went to hawk eye.
Don't know why Darragh McGurn did not start as he was one of our leading scorers in the cup. Che Cullen was lucky to stay on the pitch. Best preformers was Treacy made a good safe and McMahon.
That is now 3 games this year were we have not made the extra man count.
It was a game we could have won, Cork were just maybe the better team over the 70mins but think a draw was fair result.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 30/01/2019 19:45:09    2161039

Link

Well said in your reply to Vodafone!!! Let his club sort out shortcomings in their own backyard before trying to rubbish the excellent kept and managed Brewster Park which we Gaels are so proud off. Maybe the Vodafone contributor should look widening yond wee narrow road (more like a dirt track) that barely two prams could pass each other :)...I could go on with much more than that but enough said for the present.
Now to the local newspaper coverage of the ticket prices increase and the how they portrayed it as being the view of most which is far from the case. I would see the vast majority having no objection in paying up and in fact the large attendance at Sunday's game proved that supporters way pay up anyway. After all twenty quid or so is a small outlay if you compare it to soccer fans going to English premiership games.
Tickets hikes or not I;m off to support our lads in their round two clash with Tipp this weekend. I was wondering if yond macca guy is still using his tandem to commute to such games? Consider the cold weather we can give him a lift if he is about the Clubhouse carpark around 9am. A good debate or argument with him would help pass the time on the long journey.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 746 - 01/02/2019 00:00:44    2161318

Link

Thanks for the concern GaaAllTheWay

I will meet you down in Thurles. Be good to see you make a positive contribution towards the team.

To more important matters,think this weekends game is pivotal,obviously its a case of one game at a time but looking at the fixtures ahead,the losers of this match would be in a precarious for remainder of campaign.

Trip to Tipp,last time had this fixture was the famous game that never was in 2004,what memories that year brought!

Hopefully can start the match like started the first half and that Sean Quigley is fit to start so can make the frees count. Best of luck lads!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 867 - 01/02/2019 10:52:58    2161370

Link

Result:
National Football League 2019 - Division 2 Round 2
Tipperary 2-5 Fermanagh 2-5

Fermanagh starting team: Thomas Treacy, Jonny Cassidy, Tiarnan Daly, James McMahon, Ultan Kelm, Lee Cullen, Kane Cullen, Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones (0-1), Ciaran Corrigan (0-1), Declan McCusker, Aidan Breen, Daniel Teague, Conall Jones (1-0), Sean Quigley (0-2f, 1-1p).
Substitutes made: Paul McCusker on for Shane McGullion, Ryan Lyons on for Tiarnan Daly, Garvan Jones on for Daniel Teague, Ultan Kelm on for Paul McCusker, Darragh McGurn on for James McMahon.

Comment: Verydisappointing result as Fermanagh should have won this game and given last eek's performance, relegation is more likely too!

Other NFL Div 2 Rd 2 results:
Donegal 1-13 Meath 0-14
Cork 0-10 Kildare 1-10
Armagh 1-13 Clare 2-10

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1221 - 03/02/2019 15:52:13    2161994

Link

What a bizarre match .. we couldn't kick points if we paid them to today .. Sean has never had a worse day from frees either yet we were unlucky not to win... for such a defensive team how do we keep coughing up so many goal chances to teams .. two jammy goals conceded but 3 or 4 more clear cut chances also carved out by Tipp
And because of other results we are amazingly in a pretty good position after 2 games .. win next day night and we are in the shake up for promotion .. hell I know that's a tall order but sat night under lights in hostile Brewster park is a tough place for any team to come .. Please let Rory pick some finishers for next week the likes of McGurn must start and we could even think of Courtney or Eoin Mc coming back in as we have no one who can win ball turn beat a man and split the posts ... no one
Anyway if you had offered this team 2 points from 2 at the start who'd have complained .. he'll we are joint 3rd in league lol

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 03/02/2019 18:01:52    2162093

Link