Dublin Forum

The Dubs: NFL DIV 1 / NHL 1B 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Trying very hard not to over react to hurling performance, out of total respect for management team I'd hold my piece , but if they didn't know beforehand the job they have well they know now that's for sure , need big players back Cuala lot sorely missed , as for footballers ruthless ,hats off to them good early signs for the season

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 29/01/2018 18:48:21    2072124

Link

Disappointed with hurling display as players looked out of their league. On the other hand Offaly looked sharp but I'd wait to see how things develope over the next few weeks to get a cleared idea of where we're at.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2072 - 29/01/2018 22:09:29    2072203

Link

Excellent win for footballers away to Tyrone with 14 men for a large part of 2nd half

Top notch 2nd half display

Now for the hurlers. Need the points

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 04/02/2018 11:30:33    2073794

Link

Happy with the win.Thought we were very loose at the back especially first half.second half better helped a bit by very poor wides from Tyrone.Plenty getting game time but wondering why some newer players like Evan Comerford not getting in would be a big problem if anything happened to Cluxton.I know Brian Howard and Colm basquel are around but did think an option at the back or midfield would be tried with if anybody was deemed up to it but have to trust Jim as its gone pretty well to date.

rollingboh (Dublin) - Posts: 8 - 04/02/2018 18:47:11    2073970

Link

Wouldnt mind seeing Comerford, but thing that has struck me about the keeping situation is new rule on the kick outs, the more practice Cluxton gets at that and decision making around whether going long or short the better.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2819 - 05/02/2018 11:39:31    2074212

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Wouldnt mind seeing Comerford, but thing that has struck me about the keeping situation is new rule on the kick outs, the more practice Cluxton gets at that and decision making around whether going long or short the better."
Yeah the new kick out rule means Cluxton has to get plenty of League time.

Gone are the days where it'll be relatively easy to get 90%+ on your own kick out. (Well easy for Cluxton in anyways).

It cuts both ways though and it means Dublin's percentages should increase in terms of opposition kick outs won. I'd back the lads to make a net increase in overall kick outs won. As in their share of their own kick outs will decrease but by less than the increase in opposition kick outs won.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12682 - 05/02/2018 12:26:46    2074235

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Yeah the new kick out rule means Cluxton has to get plenty of League time.

Gone are the days where it'll be relatively easy to get 90%+ on your own kick out. (Well easy for Cluxton in anyways).

It cuts both ways though and it means Dublin's percentages should increase in terms of opposition kick outs won. I'd back the lads to make a net increase in overall kick outs won. As in their share of their own kick outs will decrease but by less than the increase in opposition kick outs won."
What i have noticed so far is the new rule really works the keepers, decision making is key and we have already seen a few gaffs.

The drawback for us are the short kick out isn't a give me anymore, i think it will be less of an option. The speed that Cluxton gets the ball back into play will likely be lessened as it is more of a skill to make the distance.

Yet the possible upside is, teams may concede the kick out to us preferring to set up.

Getting the ball well up the pitch if we go long and get pocession.

Or getting in behind in there is a high a press.

Ideally i think we need another fielder myself, in the absence of that i think you will see flood the advanced positions with Kilkeeny, Scully, Flynn, Howard, Cian, Jimmy Mc all well capable of switching lines and supporting in center field or half froward to win first or second ball from a kick out. If we loose possession i think these lads will also swarm for the turnover.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2819 - 05/02/2018 16:20:40    2074350

Link

Hopefully Mayo will cut the grass this time.. ;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 19/02/2018 18:38:34    2078488

Link

Mick appealing his red card

I think he's absolutely right, there was nothing overly aggressive.

Hope he's successful

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 27/02/2018 16:11:16    2080981

Link

What a game in store on Saturday. I love a Dublin v Kerry game

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13497 - 27/02/2018 21:30:13    2081098

Link

Any update on mannions hamstring injury? Hopefully it was a tweak and not too serious.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 829 - 28/02/2018 10:09:15    2081166

Link

Replying To jacktheDub:  "Any update on mannions hamstring injury? Hopefully it was a tweak and not too serious."
Article I read said he'll be out of the rescheduled Kerry game

But who knows. Def a loss against Kerry considering his decent form but sure if he's out it'll give someone else a chance

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 01/03/2018 16:04:56    2081456

Link

Lets hope he's back soon, because as I said before, this is his time to shine.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 03/03/2018 23:03:33    2081773

Link

Anyone know what's going on with Cormac Costello lads?

Seems to be missing permently over the last couple of years and we are half way through the league.

He must only play all Ireland finals. ;)

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2819 - 04/03/2018 18:21:24    2081831

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Anyone know what's going on with Cormac Costello lads?

Seems to be missing permently over the last couple of years and we are half way through the league.

He must only play all Ireland finals. ;)"
No idea what the story is with Cormac , heard a rumor only recently that he was thinking of giving hurling a go ,again that was a rumor only , anyway very unfortunate injury wise

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 04/03/2018 19:31:10    2081840

Link

I heard he is ready to rock'n'roll, but nothing concrete.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 05/03/2018 00:37:48    2081878

Link

Dublin are fairly firing on all cylinders at the moment, which as a fan is great , my worry is defeat now and then is healthy , this squad has shown a serious ability to bounce back and more important learn from previous defeats\draws , however currently there doesn't seem anyone sharp enough to topple us , while going into the championship as defending champions with a possible league championship in the bag confidence would be sky high there's also an element of doubt that someone is lying in the long grass , hopefully teams will raise their game over next couple of league games.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 06/03/2018 08:45:37    2082123

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Dublin are fairly firing on all cylinders at the moment, which as a fan is great , my worry is defeat now and then is healthy , this squad has shown a serious ability to bounce back and more important learn from previous defeats\draws , however currently there doesn't seem anyone sharp enough to topple us , while going into the championship as defending champions with a possible league championship in the bag confidence would be sky high there's also an element of doubt that someone is lying in the long grass , hopefully teams will raise their game over next couple of league games."
I have a funny feeling that team might be Galway.
We don't know them that well and they will relish the chance at home to beat the AI champions.
Hurlers love beating us and think the footballers will be out to show they are no push over.
We should be strong enough though and it might just be a good thing in the long run.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2072 - 06/03/2018 13:52:29    2082198

Link

Best of luck to both of our teams this weekend , hopefully footballers do a job on Kerry , hurlers I'm nervous about bit early for a season defining game but actually think it is COYBIB

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 09/03/2018 16:58:57    2082989

Link

Well ya could be right with the hurlers Damo. In the other game just sit back and relax, make observations etc, because the result either way won't matter in a weeks time when we're playing Galway, in some ways I'm looking forward to that one more. I don't drink often but Galway is one place that gives me the urge to let my hair down, yes I still have hair!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 09/03/2018 20:38:17    2083034

Link