Clare Forum

Could Clare Have Won More All Irelands

(Oldest Posts First)

i always think the the banner hurlers could have won more all irelands especially in the last 20 years. They possibly could have won one in the 70s too but i wasnt even born then but the last 20 years i can remember at least 4 years that it could have been achieved.

1998- we all know what happened in 1998, the waterford games, the offaly saga , game blown up early in the replay im fully sure only for that mistake by the ref Clare would have won that game as Barry Murphy was about to score a point too to seal the game..I definitley think Clare were robbed that year..they were by far the best team in the country for fitness and power in 1998 no doubt about it.

1999- Played Tipp out the gate in the replay in 1999 with awesome hurling...two games against Tipp and two against Galway. i think tiredness got them in the end. i think they would have beaten Cork in the all ireland in a rematch of the munster final where David Forde missed an easy free.

2001-This game will always stay with me that the game against Tipp was nip and tuck the whole way, you could cut the tension with a knife, there was so much to loose as i think it was the last year of the old knock out system, game was blown up early i recall and Clare lost by a point, Tipp went and won it out after.

2005-the last hurrah of the great Clare team of the 90s against a cork team in their prime at that stage...2005 was one that got away too i feel

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 434 - 15/08/2019 18:03:39    2226119

Link

Replying To preddan:  "i always think the the banner hurlers could have won more all irelands especially in the last 20 years. They possibly could have won one in the 70s too but i wasnt even born then but the last 20 years i can remember at least 4 years that it could have been achieved.

1998- we all know what happened in 1998, the waterford games, the offaly saga , game blown up early in the replay im fully sure only for that mistake by the ref Clare would have won that game as Barry Murphy was about to score a point too to seal the game..I definitley think Clare were robbed that year..they were by far the best team in the country for fitness and power in 1998 no doubt about it.

1999- Played Tipp out the gate in the replay in 1999 with awesome hurling...two games against Tipp and two against Galway. i think tiredness got them in the end. i think they would have beaten Cork in the all ireland in a rematch of the munster final where David Forde missed an easy free.

2001-This game will always stay with me that the game against Tipp was nip and tuck the whole way, you could cut the tension with a knife, there was so much to loose as i think it was the last year of the old knock out system, game was blown up early i recall and Clare lost by a point, Tipp went and won it out after.

2005-the last hurrah of the great Clare team of the 90s against a cork team in their prime at that stage...2005 was one that got away too i feel"
I would agree with you on most off that we had a great team from 1976-1981 should have won an all ireland cork won 3 in a row then we lost at least one off these Munster finals on the line held Cork to a handful of points with the storm to their backs lost 013 to 0.11 i think never changed a man on Tom Cashman that was 1978. lost the 77 final by 5 points Jim Power send off
Could have won Munster final in 1981 never changed a man on Joe McKenna .
1986 Had a great change v Cork In Killarney Cork won by 0.03 i think.
1999 As you say were brilliant V Tipp flat V Cork in MF
2002 Diden't perform in Croak Park still only about 5 points in difference definately should have beaten Cork in Senmi Final in 2005
Were a bit lucky in 1995 definately best team in 98 Headquarters were on our backs dden't get justice on Colin Lynch
1996 V Limerick in Semi Final left behind us too

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 460 - 16/08/2019 08:58:50    2226253

Link

the rising cheers coming from the cork fans with each score as they closed the gap in 2005 will haunt me forever.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 16/08/2019 12:00:10    2226346

Link

Replying To preddan:  "i always think the the banner hurlers could have won more all irelands especially in the last 20 years. They possibly could have won one in the 70s too but i wasnt even born then but the last 20 years i can remember at least 4 years that it could have been achieved.

2005-the last hurrah of the great Clare team of the 90s against a cork team in their prime at that stage...2005 was one that got away too i feel"
2018 was a real missed chance. Not saying we would of won it, in case anyone hops on there high horse.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 181 - 16/08/2019 14:35:06    2226424

Link

Yes we are a very underachieving county, especially our finals record in Munster. However, lots of counties can say the same but at the end of the day 3 counties have won about 70% of the All Irelands becuase they are able to win when it matters.

So called average Cork, Tipp or KK teams are well able to beat the other teams even if they are inferior in terms of skill or whatever. Clare have lost a lot to Cork when we were as good as if not better but lacked belief. Even in the 90s, we barely beat them in 93, 95, 97 when we were better. 98 was sweet as we beat them well, same with 99 v Tipp.

The 2013 final though makes up for a lot of those Munster finals and if we can one day beat the cats in the final its the full set!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 16/08/2019 14:40:14    2226428

Link

I am still bitter about 1998, I dont care what anyone says, we were robbed and badly treated. I remember watching a documentary on it on TG4 and Sean Kelly, now a MEP and former President of the GAA, was the Munster chairman at the time. IN the documentary, he admits Clare were very harshly done by.

I still irks me. Its the same with Galway and the Tony Keady affair. Another massive injustice in my opinion.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 16/08/2019 14:44:11    2226431

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "I am still bitter about 1998, I dont care what anyone says, we were robbed and badly treated. I remember watching a documentary on it on TG4 and Sean Kelly, now a MEP and former President of the GAA, was the Munster chairman at the time. IN the documentary, he admits Clare were very harshly done by.

I still irks me. Its the same with Galway and the Tony Keady affair. Another massive injustice in my opinion."
Well as regards the Tony Keady affair, Galway- supporters, management, supporters the lot- totally over played their hand. They should have got together from the word go, treated the matter as they would if Tony Keady had been injured early in the actual game and focussed on the task in hand, as Tipp did when Paul Delaney, in exactly the same way, ruled himself out in 1991. The whole promotion of the idea that the Establishment were against Galway was a silly approach and if a different approach had been followed I have no doubt the three in a row would have been achieved. I think broadly speaking that if Clare adopted a similiar approach to the Colin Lynch case in 98 they might also have done far better.
I have no doubt if Ollie Baker did not go off injured in '99 in the Munster Final Clare would have won.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2285 - 16/08/2019 20:32:09    2226575

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Yes we are a very underachieving county, especially our finals record in Munster. However, lots of counties can say the same but at the end of the day 3 counties have won about 70% of the All Irelands becuase they are able to win when it matters.

So called average Cork, Tipp or KK teams are well able to beat the other teams even if they are inferior in terms of skill or whatever. Clare have lost a lot to Cork when we were as good as if not better but lacked belief. Even in the 90s, we barely beat them in 93, 95, 97 when we were better. 98 was sweet as we beat them well, same with 99 v Tipp.

The 2013 final though makes up for a lot of those Munster finals and if we can one day beat the cats in the final its the full set!"
The big three all have had access to a bigger hurling population than any of the 'smaller counties', with the possible exception of Galway. I also think that up to recent decades, Cork Kilkenny and Tipp had vastly superior under age structures and management teams who had experienced success at the top levels themselves. The 'smaller' counties like Clare, Limerick, Wexford, Waterford and Offaly will get a good side together every twenty years or so but find it harder to maintain the pressure on the bigger counties on a consistent basis.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2285 - 16/08/2019 21:51:14    2226614

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "The big three all have had access to a bigger hurling population than any of the 'smaller counties', with the possible exception of Galway. I also think that up to recent decades, Cork Kilkenny and Tipp had vastly superior under age structures and management teams who had experienced success at the top levels themselves. The 'smaller' counties like Clare, Limerick, Wexford, Waterford and Offaly will get a good side together every twenty years or so but find it harder to maintain the pressure on the bigger counties on a consistent basis."
Yes I think that is a valid point and it does seem to hinder Clare and Limerick still although I think this Limerick group will stay together and win another one.

Looking at yesterday, they will feel they are as good as anyone, same with Galway.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 19/08/2019 09:18:39    2227353

Link

looking back on the 2001 game Dickie murphy robbed clare

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 434 - 22/08/2019 12:15:04    2228487

Link

Replying To preddan:  "looking back on the 2001 game Dickie murphy robbed clare"
ya he did. Some awful softs frees!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 23/08/2019 09:30:13    2228691

Link

Any word on new management for Clare hurling no rush of course but with championship nearing 1/4 final stage it would be good to have somebody in place its said that Donal Moloney wants it on his own personally i would prefer a new management lads had their shot at it.

Anthony Daly/Anthony Cunningham/ Donal O Grady /Eddie Brennan all very appealing with Brian Lohan Seanie McMahon as selectors.

I suppose no chance of getting Paul Kinnerc or Alan Cunningham back in Clare.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 460 - 26/08/2019 10:24:40    2229318

Link

yes

kerryforsam19 (Kerry) - Posts: 95 - 10/09/2019 10:39:09    2234058

Link