Carlow Forum

Qualifier Round 2

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Barrowsider:  "At least we didn't get hammered, its still a loss though but with a performance which is all any of us want from the team , if we followed for success we would have given up years ago.

Whatever the county board plans are with regards to management should be made clear now so either the current management can get to work on plans for next year or a new manager gets to see the SFC.

After two years of this management its been a mixed bag some good days some very bad ones. What hasn't really emerged is a style of play, that's disappointing and should have been nailed down early on. Id look at teams like Fermanagh and see how Pete McGrath has them playing to a set style and they have limited enough playing pool like ourselves, granted we are starting from a lower base. But we do need to find our way of playing and stick to it until it works"
Good post. Fermanagh are a perfect example. We're in D4 against us a few years ago also and still more or less have the same pool of players with little or no underage success either.

They looked like they had some idea of what they were trying to do in the last two games. But a style was definitely absent during the last two league campaigns. Need something to suit the types of players we have and not something that exposes our weaknesses. You'd hope they could run with something and stick to it and have it as a foundation.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 148 - 11/07/2016 11:55:22    1880809

Link

Carlow have some good footballers , O Brien, Sean Gannon. Brendan Murphy was obviously a big loss. Goodluck in 2017

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1786 - 11/07/2016 20:51:57    1881351

Link

Good post. Fermanagh are a perfect example. We're in D4 against us a few years ago also and still more or less have the same pool of players with little or no underage success either.

They looked like they had some idea of what they were trying to do in the last two games. But a style was definitely absent during the last two league campaigns. Need something to suit the types of players we have and not something that exposes our weaknesses. You'd hope they could run with something and stick to it and have it as a foundation.
Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts:25 - 11/07/2016 11:55:22 1

I'd say Carlow have a larger pool of footballers than Fermanagh, although granted the Ernesider's would not have a hurling side anywhere near as good as Carlow's. I don't think underage success is vital either, the most important aspect is to bring 2 or 3 quality players through every year or so to the Senior team.

It was a fighting performance by Carlow, and it should provide confidence platform for them to push on to greater things next year. I would love to see the qualifiers changed to a group system, so every team gets 3 games or so, especially after players trained for so much of the year.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 12/07/2016 10:02:43    1881572

Link

Surprised Brian Murphy wasn't brought on last week. 6 subs came on( including 2 lads in the forwards who weren't even forwards) .

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1037 - 15/07/2016 08:44:37    1883631

Link

Had recorded the sunday game last week and was interested in the disallowed goal as i had felt foley had run in to the square after the free.

But not only was foleys goal disallowed incorrectly but cavans first goal was a square ball.

Still dont think we would have won but if we had gone in ahead at halftime it definitely was a chance of an upset.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 928 - 15/07/2016 17:58:55    1883997

Link

Carlow Senior Championship - the winners will be ???
I saw two games at the weekend and I have to admit that I thought the second game - Pal v. the Blues - served up some excellent football. The Blues are continuing to play top-class football and while Pal won by 8 points in the end, it flattered Pal to an extent. Both sides played some excellent passages of football with the high scoring adding to the excitement. One player caught my eye repeatedly - Conor Crowley- who was identified as coming from Palatine in the programme - were not all the players from Palatine? I believe he is still a minor.

The first game was between Tinryland and Mount Leinster Rangers. This game was destroyed by all the stoppages, resulting in lack of continuity in play. This was a pity as there were some good passages when play was ongoing. Tinryland seemed to be in command but two late goals for MLR caused panic in the Tinryand camp. Cormac Walshe was their outstanding player - was he on the senior panel for the county?

What about the other games? Pal looked good as defending champions but not having seen the other teams I cannot predict their retention of the Championship Trophy.

No1realist (Carlow) - Posts: 125 - 01/08/2016 19:30:16    1893707

Link

Made it to the Eire og game and to blues on Sunday. Polar opposites. Friday was a trouncing. Less said the better. Sunday was a cracking game with blues and pal. Early doors yet. Didn't hear how RV and OL went. But the result was convincing enough. OL starting to age maybe

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 148 - 02/08/2016 17:15:38    1894153

Link