Carlow Forum

Leinster SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingguru:  "I could be wrong but was Anthony Rainbow not in charge for the heavy defeats to Clare and Meath? Along with the win over Waterford."
Pretty sure TOB has only had two years in charge. Great performance on Saturday. Gannon and Murphy outstanding along with Darragh Foley. I think TOB has done a great job.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 176 - 20/06/2016 17:32:04    1869813

Link

Replying To pennypincher:  "Supersub id hold off on the impact of TOB on Carlow just yet. He has been there for 3 years now and this is our 2nd championship win in thattime. The other one was against Waterford. Now during that period wehave also shipped the heaviest defeats in our history. 7-13 against meath. 4-26 against Clare. Eaten alive by Laois last year and badly beaten by Longford also. We are one of the lowestranked counties in football so i wouldn't be opening the champers any day soon.
Great win on saturday but it mustbe put in context. Wicklow were shocking. I have never seen a Wicklow team with less bottle. didn't want to know. Nevertheless we wonbecause we had the better footballers. We had 4 outstanding contributions from 2 murphys gahan and esp. Gannon who is an outstanding footballer. Even in this regard the management didnt coverthemselves in glory as they removed J.Murphy inexplicably, you could see fromhis reaction that he wasn't too pleased. They had toput himbackon thenwhen Brendan was black carded. What was that about?
Also the Pal/old leighlin situation while notTOBs fault doesn't reflect well on him.Anyway great win but down to some great individual performances rather than the collective imo."
Pennypincher, I'm not here to defend or applaud TOB in any way, I'm simply putting it out there the way I see it, and yes there is a lot to be done yet with Carlow football, baby steps and all that.
Like yourself, TOB doesn't always get things right, by the way, from memory I think TOB took over the Carlow managers job in time for the O'Byrne cup in Jan. 2014 so in fairness to him he wasn't in charge for all those heavy defeats. I do agree we are one of the lowest ranked counties from a football point of view, that's why I was delighted with the two back to back wins over Wicklow, one in the league in Aughrim, the first in nearly 40 years, the other last Saturday night in NCP, keeping in mind NCP is not seen as a happy hunting ground for Carlow footballers in recent times, so that makes it that little bit sweeter, credit where credit is due, TOB engineered those two victories.
Wicklow were shocking.??? The way I saw it was Carlow came out of the traps with all guns blazing, which is new to their game, I think they succeeded in making Wicklow look shocking, it's like this, Carlow went 1-02 to 0-01 up after 6/7 mins, they went 1-06 to 0-02 up after 16/17 mins, Carlow didn't allow Wicklow to settle or get into the game, hence, they went in 0-04 up at H/T. They ran out winning by 0-05, I put that down to the tenacity of the players, hence the 3 black cards and the tiring players.
I'm not sure why he sub'd J Murphy, may be because his opposite number slotted in 1-06 I don't know that one. It's my guess he brought him back to replace Brendan Murphy (BC) because his choices were limited at that time, just a guess.
Individual performances are part and parcel of many a victory, collective performances are few and far between, Tyrone leaked 3 goals against Cavan, as opposed to being on the receiving end of 3 well taken goals, collective nowhere to be seen imo.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1908 - 21/06/2016 00:24:22    1869998

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Pennypincher, I'm not here to defend or applaud TOB in any way, I'm simply putting it out there the way I see it, and yes there is a lot to be done yet with Carlow football, baby steps and all that.
Like yourself, TOB doesn't always get things right, by the way, from memory I think TOB took over the Carlow managers job in time for the O'Byrne cup in Jan. 2014 so in fairness to him he wasn't in charge for all those heavy defeats. I do agree we are one of the lowest ranked counties from a football point of view, that's why I was delighted with the two back to back wins over Wicklow, one in the league in Aughrim, the first in nearly 40 years, the other last Saturday night in NCP, keeping in mind NCP is not seen as a happy hunting ground for Carlow footballers in recent times, so that makes it that little bit sweeter, credit where credit is due, TOB engineered those two victories.
Wicklow were shocking.??? The way I saw it was Carlow came out of the traps with all guns blazing, which is new to their game, I think they succeeded in making Wicklow look shocking, it's like this, Carlow went 1-02 to 0-01 up after 6/7 mins, they went 1-06 to 0-02 up after 16/17 mins, Carlow didn't allow Wicklow to settle or get into the game, hence, they went in 0-04 up at H/T. They ran out winning by 0-05, I put that down to the tenacity of the players, hence the 3 black cards and the tiring players.
I'm not sure why he sub'd J Murphy, may be because his opposite number slotted in 1-06 I don't know that one. It's my guess he brought him back to replace Brendan Murphy (BC) because his choices were limited at that time, just a guess.
Individual performances are part and parcel of many a victory, collective performances are few and far between, Tyrone leaked 3 goals against Cavan, as opposed to being on the receiving end of 3 well taken goals, collective nowhere to be seen imo."
Super he was part of that management team.l do give him credit for Saturday. It was ledgers manwho scored 1-6 . All l saying is that we should cool the jets a little bit and wait til we see how we manage against Cavan/tyrone before declaring a new dawn. Stuff like "ownership of carlow football " is ott imo.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 21/06/2016 10:03:09    1870033

Link

How Ledger got reported as playing well is beyond me....The Wicklow full forward had the freedom of the park. If the outfield players were able to find him we would have be beaten out the gate. Lets not forget Robbie Molloy's late save in the 2nd half. We could get seriously exposed the next day... Gannon, Hughe Gahan, Murphy and Darragh Foley all impressive. Hopefully we put in a goof performance in 3 weeks time. Our forward line is very weak, we had nobody to come on and thats the grim reality

Antisledge (Carlow) - Posts: 14 - 21/06/2016 12:16:50    1870127

Link

Realistically the best we can hope for is that we keep the thing afloat for the time being and hope that the colts program and all that bring some success in future years. This current crop won't make any major progress I don't think. So it's a matter of TOB doing the best he can with the group he has. And that's why it was nice to get the win Saturday but realistically it will be short lived and problems still exist. So he isn't the saviour of the game in Carlow or anything like that but at the same time he has taken on a job that nobody else would have taken after the state Rainbow left things in. We can't really over analyse the weekend. We all know that players and management have limitations. But what they did at the weekend was put in a performance full of pride and had a bit of bite to their game. Can't ask for much more

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 148 - 21/06/2016 12:31:40    1870140

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Realistically the best we can hope for is that we keep the thing afloat for the time being and hope that the colts program and all that bring some success in future years. This current crop won't make any major progress I don't think. So it's a matter of TOB doing the best he can with the group he has. And that's why it was nice to get the win Saturday but realistically it will be short lived and problems still exist. So he isn't the saviour of the game in Carlow or anything like that but at the same time he has taken on a job that nobody else would have taken after the state Rainbow left things in. We can't really over analyse the weekend. We all know that players and management have limitations. But what they did at the weekend was put in a performance full of pride and had a bit of bite to their game. Can't ask for much more"
Yeah l accept the gist of what you're saying but TOB has made some really bad calls during his tenure and we must remember that he was a major part of rainbows team. We still have situation where one fotward seems to get a free pass regardless of his performances. Yeah agree on ledger he is a major concern, problem is he is not a full back. We have seen this several times particularly in the Louth game when he was given the run around. I'd playhim nforward line as there is no point in leavingsuch a roblem at the heart of your defence.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 21/06/2016 13:25:43    1870179

Link

Replying To pennypincher:  "Yeah l accept the gist of what you're saying but TOB has made some really bad calls during his tenure and we must remember that he was a major part of rainbows team. We still have situation where one fotward seems to get a free pass regardless of his performances. Yeah agree on ledger he is a major concern, problem is he is not a full back. We have seen this several times particularly in the Louth game when he was given the run around. I'd playhim nforward line as there is no point in leavingsuch a roblem at the heart of your defence."
Agreed on that. Don't know who else in the panel you could put there. I mentioned previously about the loss of a couple of lads who would have slotted in there. Unless you play B Kav back there. J Murphy with give us the same problem we have as he isn't a back either.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 148 - 21/06/2016 13:55:46    1870207

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Agreed on that. Don't know who else in the panel you could put there. I mentioned previously about the loss of a couple of lads who would have slotted in there. Unless you play B Kav back there. J Murphy with give us the same problem we have as he isn't a back either."
Yeah we need conor lawler, redmond, sean murphy, moran from pal, and a couple more from pal/old leighlin. Lets hope they commit next season.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 21/06/2016 14:38:55    1870244

Link

Replying To pennypincher:  "Yeah we need conor lawler, redmond, sean murphy, moran from pal, and a couple more from pal/old leighlin. Lets hope they commit next season."
No much point talking about lads that are not on the panel. They wouldnt comit and thats their choice. The lads on the panel have committed and fair play to them for that. Its no good having lads come in for one year and then leave the panel. If we can maintain the nucleus of this panel for 3 or 4 years then I think progress can be made. There are a few young lads on the panel who will only improve. Kelly,Blake ,Power and a few others. Its a massive step up from club level and it takes a couple of years to get up to the pace and physicality of Inter county. Again Turlough took over a poisened chalice and has steadied the ship.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 176 - 21/06/2016 15:25:46    1870285

Link