Carlow Forum

Muine Bheag

(Oldest Posts First)

Hopefully a positive development is the news that St Andrews and Erin's Own are to merge under the one club banner of Muine Bheag. Hopefully it gives GAA a lift in an area that needs it badly and has been a waste land for GAA in both codes for decades, with only the odd short lived resurgence.

It'll take more than this however so wondering if there's more to it than just a merger?

Also how will it go down in the town? I know there's been opposition to this for years with strong loyalty to one or other club on the part of some who haven't always cooperated with one another. An end to that can be no harm at least.

What do people think off the name? Muine Bheag doesn't seem to me to capture the imagination. Few in the town call it Muine Bheag so it mightn't get the traction needed to get young people enthused. Can't think of anything better mind you.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1132 - 03/12/2018 20:29:28    2153231

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Hopefully a positive development is the news that St Andrews and Erin's Own are to merge under the one club banner of Muine Bheag. Hopefully it gives GAA a lift in an area that needs it badly and has been a waste land for GAA in both codes for decades, with only the odd short lived resurgence.

It'll take more than this however so wondering if there's more to it than just a merger?

Also how will it go down in the town? I know there's been opposition to this for years with strong loyalty to one or other club on the part of some who haven't always cooperated with one another. An end to that can be no harm at least.

What do people think off the name? Muine Bheag doesn't seem to me to capture the imagination. Few in the town call it Muine Bheag so it mightn't get the traction needed to get young people enthused. Can't think of anything better mind you."
Bagenalstown gaels is it not? Hopefully will give the town a lift as there are some very talented players there. Also have planning in for new club house etc so definitely will boost the club

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 03/12/2018 21:38:02    2153240

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Hopefully a positive development is the news that St Andrews and Erin's Own are to merge under the one club banner of Muine Bheag. Hopefully it gives GAA a lift in an area that needs it badly and has been a waste land for GAA in both codes for decades, with only the odd short lived resurgence.

What do people think off the name? Muine Bheag doesn't seem to me to capture the imagination. Few in the town call it Muine Bheag so it mightn't get the traction needed to get young people enthused. Can't think of anything better mind you."
This is a process that started 13 months ago with three representives from all clubs (Muinebheag Juvenile Club, Erins Own and St. Andrews) assisted by the county board. At the moment it is just a merger and all involved know the amalgamation won't solve the current problems in Bagenalstown but it's a start. There will be a greater connect between juveniles and adult players and help develop a club spirit in the community at the very least. Juveniles will aspire to play for one club and wear one jersey which shouldn't be underestimated. Even developing McGrath Park and fundraising efforts will be much simpler.

There is a realisation in Bagenalstown now that to improve their fortunes everyone must move with the times and leave the past in the past and some older members have listened to the opinions of the players and the community. This is illustrated in the vote yesterday. Over 97% supported the amalgamation and each of the three clubs had to pass the proposal by a 75% majority which carried easily.

The name of the club will be Bagenalstown Gaels GAA Club or CLG Muinebheag in Irish. Here's to a bright future for the club as Carlow needs the town's to prosper for a sustainable organisation going forward. Fair play to all involved.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1806 - 03/12/2018 21:48:27    2153246

Link

Replying To hurlingguru:  "This is a process that started 13 months ago with three representives from all clubs (Muinebheag Juvenile Club, Erins Own and St. Andrews) assisted by the county board. At the moment it is just a merger and all involved know the amalgamation won't solve the current problems in Bagenalstown but it's a start. There will be a greater connect between juveniles and adult players and help develop a club spirit in the community at the very least. Juveniles will aspire to play for one club and wear one jersey which shouldn't be underestimated. Even developing McGrath Park and fundraising efforts will be much simpler.

There is a realisation in Bagenalstown now that to improve their fortunes everyone must move with the times and leave the past in the past and some older members have listened to the opinions of the players and the community. This is illustrated in the vote yesterday. Over 97% supported the amalgamation and each of the three clubs had to pass the proposal by a 75% majority which carried easily.

The name of the club will be Bagenalstown Gaels GAA Club or CLG Muinebheag in Irish. Here's to a bright future for the club as Carlow needs the town's to prosper for a sustainable organisation going forward. Fair play to all involved."
Good stuff. Hopefully it's the start of a long awaited resurgence in the town. Imagine the boost for the county if the town was capable of having 3 players on both county senior teams hurling and football. And then if Tullow could do likewise at least in football. For a small county we're playing with one hand behind our backs when two of the three towns in the county have hardly any representatives on county teams.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1132 - 03/12/2018 23:27:54    2153257

Link

It's a Very positive step, from a fundraising point of view they could be become a real power house in the coming years, I think they will need a good chairperson to get them through the first few years though as it could easily go wrong if it's not started out in the right way. I think only 8 voted against it so they certainly have the good will of the vast majority of the membership behind them, I wish them the best of luck.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1236 - 04/12/2018 11:43:37    2153292

Link

Yes indeed. The very best of luck to all involved in the new club.

I hope it becomes a powerhouse in the county.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 153 - 07/12/2018 23:22:52    2153648

Link