Carlow Forum

All Stars

(Oldest Posts First)

Really well done to all the nominations and awards at the GAA All Stars last night. Six of the hurlers getting McDonagh awards, Eddie Byrne player of the year, and then Paul B with the nomination for the football. Congrats guys!

iacob (Carlow) - Posts: 56 - 03/11/2018 08:36:13    2149361

Link

Massive number of McDonagh medallists winning their coveted All Stars. Great achievement for the panel and especially for the 6 players and a special mention for Edward Byrne!
Probably the best ever year for the hurling team - well rewarded for their time effort and huge respect generated by the team all over the country.
Footballers have done well with two wins in their championship- and did well to get out of the basement division in the league. Looking forward to the New Year and the challenges ahead for both squads.

But- serious respect for the hurlers. Some achievement for the team to get to the Top Table for next year. And with little fanfare. We cannot sustain the success with so few teams playing senior club hurling in the county. That is a serious problem and needs to be addressed. I know the forum has met - but... what areas have been identified as areas for examination ? What resources will be put into hurling...

I know I will be shot for this- but - if we see success at county level as the key barometer for success - then lets put twice as many resources into the small ball game as heretofore to ensure more achievements as 2017. Hurling has set the standards- football has a long way to go to reach the same level as our county hurling team...now for the bullets!!!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1438 - 03/11/2018 20:12:48    2149443

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Massive number of McDonagh medallists winning their coveted All Stars. Great achievement for the panel and especially for the 6 players and a special mention for Edward Byrne!
Probably the best ever year for the hurling team - well rewarded for their time effort and huge respect generated by the team all over the country.
Footballers have done well with two wins in their championship- and did well to get out of the basement division in the league. Looking forward to the New Year and the challenges ahead for both squads.

But- serious respect for the hurlers. Some achievement for the team to get to the Top Table for next year. And with little fanfare. We cannot sustain the success with so few teams playing senior club hurling in the county. That is a serious problem and needs to be addressed. I know the forum has met - but... what areas have been identified as areas for examination ? What resources will be put into hurling...

I know I will be shot for this- but - if we see success at county level as the key barometer for success - then lets put twice as many resources into the small ball game as heretofore to ensure more achievements as 2017. Hurling has set the standards- football has a long way to go to reach the same level as our county hurling team...now for the bullets!!!"
You're comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare really standards as they aren't comparable given the structure of the hurling champ and also given the fact there are so few hurling counties. I for one love the fact we rattle both. And are punching above our weight in both I think. Given population etc

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 138 - 03/11/2018 23:21:27    2149465

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Massive number of McDonagh medallists winning their coveted All Stars. Great achievement for the panel and especially for the 6 players and a special mention for Edward Byrne!

I know I will be shot for this- but - if we see success at county level as the key barometer for success - then lets put twice as many resources into the small ball game as heretofore to ensure more achievements as 2017. Hurling has set the standards- football has a long way to go to reach the same level as our county hurling team...now for the bullets!!!"
We're a predominantly football county. Take resources from football, as you seem to advocate as there's only one pot of money, and football will suffer but the gain will be marginal. Most fellas in non hurling areas will chose rugby and soccer before hurling if getting more numbers playing is you aim.

Far better to focus on where we're falling down in both codes and let players drift towards one or the other as they wish rather than saying let's cut our effort in football. Look at Bagenalstown, a GAA black spot. It's hard to know is it a hurling or a football town, or neither. But what is it then, there's no rugby there and little enough soccer either. Should be a GAA heartland located in the middle of the county but it's not. The U14 Colts were announced this week in football and hurling. I think there were 39 on the football panel and not a single one from Bagenalstown!!! The hurling panel has 40 and there's one from Bagenalstown! Tullow is not much better, I think three on the football. We should have a forum on Bagenalstown and Tullow and what to do about re-energising GAA in both towns. If we could do that then both hurling and football would benefit simultaneously. Surely that would be better?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1109 - 04/11/2018 14:29:01    2149497

Link

Soccer has plenty of clubs and they are doing their thing... We have just 2 rugby clubs in the county and let's be honest... all they can put out is 15 players.

Rugby is not the problem. Soccer is not the problem. The number of games at certain age groups is a problem. And the resources put into hurling is not where it needs to be if we are to develop further.

You can make a footballer of a young lad in a few weeks... Not the same with hurling. Hence the need to put in a lot more into development of hurling.

The county hurler's have played above themselves...and gotten their rewards...but too few players to pick from. This needs to change.

The last thing we need is another forum. ..

leadership is what's needed. And guess where it needs to enanate from ?

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1438 - 04/11/2018 17:37:00    2149508

Link

I totally agree with onion breath. Both Bagenalstown and Tullow have a population north of 2500 and should be contributing much more players across all age groups. It seems the gaa clubs in these towns are small clubs on all fronts, in terms of players/management/support.

Theres are other sports to contend with besides rugby and soccer, more kids are getting involved in individual sports like tennis, badminton, rowing, athletics and combat sports like mma and boxing.

Looking at Bagenalstown, the main secondary school for the catchment area being the Pres de la Salle. This school recruits young lads from Bagenalstown, Fenagh, Myshall, Old Leighlin, Leighlinbridge, Ballinkillin, Ballinabranna, Newtown and Nurney. If they are only fielding one or two teams at every age group in school how are players who dont get sufficiant game time supposed to keep interest and graduate to senior? In Carlow Town, there is The CBS, Pres, Gaelcholáiste, Knockbeg and the Tech. Smaller schools offering better sporting oppertunity to get more game time.

In general, I think the interest in GAA nationwide is in great decline. It once was a staple of every irish persons life but now there are far more distractions and different hobbies to get involved with, the majority of GAA communities have shrunken in size and its very hard to battle against a shift in culture.

arsebiscuits (Carlow) - Posts: 56 - 06/11/2018 12:13:07    2149839

Link

Replying To arsebiscuits:  "I totally agree with onion breath. Both Bagenalstown and Tullow have a population north of 2500 and should be contributing much more players across all age groups. It seems the gaa clubs in these towns are small clubs on all fronts, in terms of players/management/support.

Theres are other sports to contend with besides rugby and soccer, more kids are getting involved in individual sports like tennis, badminton, rowing, athletics and combat sports like mma and boxing.

Looking at Bagenalstown, the main secondary school for the catchment area being the Pres de la Salle. This school recruits young lads from Bagenalstown, Fenagh, Myshall, Old Leighlin, Leighlinbridge, Ballinkillin, Ballinabranna, Newtown and Nurney. If they are only fielding one or two teams at every age group in school how are players who dont get sufficiant game time supposed to keep interest and graduate to senior? In Carlow Town, there is The CBS, Pres, Gaelcholáiste, Knockbeg and the Tech. Smaller schools offering better sporting oppertunity to get more game time.

In general, I think the interest in GAA nationwide is in great decline. It once was a staple of every irish persons life but now there are far more distractions and different hobbies to get involved with, the majority of GAA communities have shrunken in size and its very hard to battle against a shift in culture."
I'm not so sure it's in great decline, there are definitely loads of more options for children particularly more individual sports but also the rise of the internet and gaming. I dont think that's the issue in those two areas, I mean children in Carlow town play gaa in great numbers Eire og have two teams at 11 1/2 and 13s o'hanrahans and asca are fielding at those age groups too as are setanta and Carlow town, I doubt children in bagenalstown or tullow are any different so it has to be down to organisation, it's no coincidence that the most successful clubs are also the best run clubs. While the opposite is also true. Parents like to know they are sending the kids somewhere they will be looked after, reputation is everything and if that's damaged it will be very hard to repair.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1229 - 06/11/2018 23:07:11    2149985

Link