Carlow Forum

County Senior Football Team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To novalis:  "What I meant earlier was the '3 hand-pass' rule doesn't work - it spoils the game.

Sin-bin will work very well. No complaints there.

As one national journalist said today 'the mark' would work well if confined to inside the 21 metre line. Imagine if a team is 1/2/3 points down late in the game - a long delivery to one or two big men in that forward area could change the game!!
Worth exploring.

Arsebiscuits I didn't hear of any other YIs in set-up but looking at them this year prob Dunphy (great display before sending off vs Mullinalaghta) and/or Blake?"
Why is it Dunphy has not been asked in previously? surely he has a long future ahead with the county. Chris Blake I'd say should play a year at senior first before returning to the county fold. Both players getting red cards in the Leinster club however, Carlows discipline has improved a lot this past year so hopefully things stay that way!

arsebiscuits (Carlow) - Posts: 56 - 11/12/2018 12:40:33    2153981

Link

Of the Éire Óg players not in previously I would like to see Chatten in there. Very good ball carrier and rarely loses the ball and makes good decisions on the ball. Very impressed with him the last few years with club.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 33 - 11/12/2018 16:59:20    2154002

Link

Bad day for a game, Carlow are looking a bit disjointed in these first couple of games I think a combo of new rules and so many new faces have played a part, we have relied heavily on the handpass for a cpl of years and now we must adapt to a more kicking oriented game. Result aside I hope Conor lawlor is ok he was stretchered off late in the second half and did not look in good shape I'm presuming it was a neck injury as he was braced and stabilized.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1238 - 15/12/2018 18:06:05    2154366

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Bad day for a game, Carlow are looking a bit disjointed in these first couple of games I think a combo of new rules and so many new faces have played a part, we have relied heavily on the handpass for a cpl of years and now we must adapt to a more kicking oriented game. Result aside I hope Conor lawlor is ok he was stretchered off late in the second half and did not look in good shape I'm presuming it was a neck injury as he was braced and stabilized."
I was there too... I think if the new rules stay in place for the league, we are in serious bother... hope I am wrong... on a brighter note, fact we didn't lose by more, with that handicap, and given experimental nature of team, suggests strength-in-depth of county is quite good... No Jordan Morrissey, Sean Murphy, Eoghan Ruth, Sean Gannon, Diarmuid Walshe, Paul Broderick, John Murphy, Darragh O'Brien, Cian Lawlor, BJ Molloy today and hardly got hammered! Kildare remain a division ahead of us.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 259 - 15/12/2018 21:09:59    2154375

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "I was there too... I think if the new rules stay in place for the league, we are in serious bother... hope I am wrong... on a brighter note, fact we didn't lose by more, with that handicap, and given experimental nature of team, suggests strength-in-depth of county is quite good... No Jordan Morrissey, Sean Murphy, Eoghan Ruth, Sean Gannon, Diarmuid Walshe, Paul Broderick, John Murphy, Darragh O'Brien, Cian Lawlor, BJ Molloy today and hardly got hammered! Kildare remain a division ahead of us."
It will take some adapting that's for sure, Kildare took some nice offensive marks today, it's one aspect of the new rules I like, on the plus side we did not concede any frees this week from over handpassing, we rarely put more than two together. With Sean Murphy back after Christmas and the Eire og contingent returning I wouldn't be too worried. I'd take positives in that Brendan Murphy looks fairly sharp and I thought Danny Moran played very well and we have given some new players a bit of experience.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1238 - 16/12/2018 00:10:29    2154386

Link

Any updates on player, injuries etc. What team will start on Sat vs Offaly? I hear Eire Og players are back training.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 236 - 02/01/2019 21:45:35    2155507

Link

Any idea why this game on on Saturday instead of Sunday? We are playing Offaly in football on Sat & hurling on Sunday both in NCP. Would have made more sense to have a double header on Sunday surely especially for Offaly people travelling. Pitch would be well able for it as there's been no rain all week.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 04/01/2019 13:55:56    2155650

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "Any idea why this game on on Saturday instead of Sunday? We are playing Offaly in football on Sat & hurling on Sunday both in NCP. Would have made more sense to have a double header on Sunday surely especially for Offaly people travelling. Pitch would be well able for it as there's been no rain all week."
It's the GAA what do you expect? Should be well used to it at this stage. Common sense isn't in their vocabulary

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 33 - 05/01/2019 00:28:28    2155715

Link

From the score it sounds like a good game today.
Are we nearer our starting 15 for Sligo game.
Any report welcome .
IS Chris Hulton on panel?

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 399 - 05/01/2019 16:02:44    2155745

Link

Decent enough game. Good team out, however didn't start John Murphy, Conor Lawler, young Morrissey, C Moran, Broderick, or any of the keepers although Samson did well between the sticks...normally an outfield player.
Reduced panel of 35 has been announced and didn't see Hulton, Cian Lawlor or Rennick on listed panel today.

We leaked a lot of scores today - although the bulk of Offaly scores came from our mistakes and fouling. I think 1.10 of their scores came from frees/Penalty.
Lunney and Walker certainly knocking the door for places on the starting 15.

Brendan did ok but doesn't look as fit as the rest.

Big game against Sligo In league....when is this On?

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 236 - 05/01/2019 17:25:59    2155752

Link

Colm hulton not there, not sure what the story is with him, I'd say the league team won't be far off what it was today only with Broderick starting, I'd imagine Lee walker did enough to book his place scoring 1-03 I think. This is my third game seeing the new rules and I'll be shocked if all of them see the league, despite the high score the game lacked fluidity with lads constantly having to check themselves regarding the handpassing, we looked much more competitive today though and I think we should have won that game by a lot more but it's a win and that's Important with the league just around the corner.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1238 - 05/01/2019 17:55:18    2155757

Link

I thought Lee walker had a very good game looked very lively and a had some good scores aswel. we seemed to control a lot of the game but only won by a point. As above posts said we didn't start with a full strength 15 so that is a positive i suppose. Very much looking forward to the league which starts sunday 27th, i see no reason why we cant be very competitive in div 3 and finish mid table or above. There didn't seem to be much in the challenge for the offaly penalt as i saw it

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 05/01/2019 18:05:25    2155758

Link

Replying To novalis:  "Decent enough game. Good team out, however didn't start John Murphy, Conor Lawler, young Morrissey, C Moran, Broderick, or any of the keepers although Samson did well between the sticks...normally an outfield player.
Reduced panel of 35 has been announced and didn't see Hulton, Cian Lawlor or Rennick on listed panel today.

We leaked a lot of scores today - although the bulk of Offaly scores came from our mistakes and fouling. I think 1.10 of their scores came from frees/Penalty.

Big game against Sligo In league....when is this On?"
Sansom would have played in goal for IT Carlow and also played there with Louth underage and I think he lined out there for Louth juniors. He has a good kick and can pick out a pass too which is useful.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 33 - 05/01/2019 21:39:10    2155768

Link

Replying To novalis:  "Decent enough game. Good team out, however didn't start John Murphy, Conor Lawler, young Morrissey, C Moran, Broderick, or any of the keepers although Samson did well between the sticks...normally an outfield player.

Big game against Sligo In league....when is this On?"
Novalis,

Thanks for those insights.

'A reduced panel of 35"! My, my how things have changed. Is that panel published anywhere? I'd love to get a look at it.

The management deserve great credit for the way the OB Cup campaign has been managed. We played some good quality opposition, gave younger players a good chance to prove themselves and avoided any heavy defeats. Well done to them.

Looking forward to the Sligo game.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 06/01/2019 10:11:58    2155776

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "From the score it sounds like a good game today.
Are we nearer our starting 15 for Sligo game.
Any report welcome .
IS Chris Hulton on panel?"
"Colm" Hulton.... Both himself and Jordan Morrissey are injured... It's a bit unfortunate for Colm as he could have used the O'BC to stake a claim for a starting place... As it stands, the player who probably played his way in is Lee Walker... We did okay in the O'BC, experimented and held our own... mindful that the big games are ahead... but the new rules are killing us (and the game itself)... Also, one disappointment for me... I thought there was a case to be made for Brendan Murphy to be tried inside the 45 to see how it'd work with the new mark rules... Especially as he looks a little behind most of the others in fitness... presumably because he missed last summer and pressures of work...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 259 - 06/01/2019 11:45:17    2155783

Link

Replying To CARPS:  ""Colm" Hulton.... Both himself and Jordan Morrissey are injured... It's a bit unfortunate for Colm as he could have used the O'BC to stake a claim for a starting place... As it stands, the player who probably played his way in is Lee Walker... We did okay in the O'BC, experimented and held our own... mindful that the big games are ahead... but the new rules are killing us (and the game itself)... Also, one disappointment for me... I thought there was a case to be made for Brendan Murphy to be tried inside the 45 to see how it'd work with the new mark rules... Especially as he looks a little behind most of the others in fitness... presumably because he missed last summer and pressures of work..."
I actually thought Murphy looked a lot leaner than in previous years he is 30 now though so could it be he just going over his peak I agree though with the new mark rule we should be trying to take advantage of it while it's there, the gpa are meeting croke park in the next week that could be an interesting meeting, reading comments from players in the media it would not surprise me if it ended in a strike, when you hear phrases like "not listening to players" along with some of the other comments then you could easily find yourself in a situation where people feel the need to make a stand. These new rules make a mockery of the league which for most counties is the most important tournament in the year

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1238 - 06/01/2019 14:24:39    2155793

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Novalis,

Thanks for those insights.

'A reduced panel of 35"! My, my how things have changed. Is that panel published anywhere? I'd love to get a look at it.

The management deserve great credit for the way the OB Cup campaign has been managed. We played some good quality opposition, gave younger players a good chance to prove themselves and avoided any heavy defeats. Well done to them.

Looking forward to the Sligo game."
I didn't think colm was on the reduced panel? Maybe I'm wrong?

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 06/01/2019 23:33:43    2155881

Link

The Carlow GAA twitter feed has the named panel. Presumably with a panel lads will get injured, opt out etc so I presume it is by no means the final one.

Good weekend for Ballinabranagh what with an improving Darren Lunney decisive score against Offally and Pardaig Almond against Leister in the FA cup.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 450 - 07/01/2019 11:41:35    2155921

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "The Carlow GAA twitter feed has the named panel. Presumably with a panel lads will get injured, opt out etc so I presume it is by no means the final one.

Good weekend for Ballinabranagh what with an improving Darren Lunney decisive score against Offally and Pardaig Almond against Leister in the FA cup."
I only see the panel for Saturdays match on twitter, the 26 players for that game.
Yes very impressed by Lunney in the games so far, was especially good against Westmeath. Himself, Lee Walker and Simon Doyle have made a strong case for starting against Sligo.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 07/01/2019 23:22:55    2156028

Link