Carlow Forum

Carlow V Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Onion Breath:  "No season ticket holders? There must be a couple of hundred anyway I would have thought."
There are about 120 club members but access is for league matches only

carlovia (None) - Posts: 935 - 14/06/2018 13:16:59    2111478

Link

I don't think the stand holds 2000!

Regarding the criticism of how we played against Laois... Important to note that they beat us 3 times and all with the same style... My view is that if we do not adjust our tactics we will again fail against Tyrone.
They methodically analyse their opposition so we better be aware or we could be talking about a hiding after Tyrone visit.

Our team has played well against a naieve Kildare and Louth were very disjointed and had no plan to take us on. Our tactics worked for both of these games. We did not win last Sunday and I think our backroom lads need to relook at the system.
I fear for our progress next weekend if we don't.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1469 - 14/06/2018 17:17:34    2111573

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "I don't think the stand holds 2000!

Regarding the criticism of how we played against Laois... Important to note that they beat us 3 times and all with the same style... My view is that if we do not adjust our tactics we will again fail against Tyrone.
They methodically analyse their opposition so we better be aware or we could be talking about a hiding after Tyrone visit.

Our team has played well against a naieve Kildare and Louth were very disjointed and had no plan to take us on. Our tactics worked for both of these games. We did not win last Sunday and I think our backroom lads need to relook at the system.
I fear for our progress next weekend if we don't."
I think there is danger here of over thinking .
We were a surprise last year. Monaghan for example really underestimated the chalenge and escaped.
We have had a great year . Next Sunday is another great day out in our long journey.

Real long term success is what we are after.
In 5 years i would want to see us being a steady 2nd Div team and regularly getting to last 16 in AI and higher.

However for the moment just enjoying the ride.

The bigger issue for me is
this team have raised the status of the county jersey and we need to be building stronger year on year as the old guard who have taken us from the dark ages start to hang up their boots.

love the journey.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 399 - 14/06/2018 20:47:59    2111624

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "There are about 120 club members but access is for league matches only"
That's the club Carlow tickets you're talking about. The season ticket definitely gives you championship tickets, even all Ireland final tickets. It's because of season tickets, which guarantee a stand seat, that theDubs can't be brought to grounds that don't have a certain minimum number of stand seats.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1137 - 14/06/2018 21:54:56    2111655

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "That's the club Carlow tickets you're talking about. The season ticket definitely gives you championship tickets, even all Ireland final tickets. It's because of season tickets, which guarantee a stand seat, that theDubs can't be brought to grounds that don't have a certain minimum number of stand seats."
Was told a few years ago by a Mayo fan that Carlow had 5 season ticket holders so we probably wont have to move to portllaise for this game !

carlovia (None) - Posts: 935 - 15/06/2018 11:18:55    2111766

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Was told a few years ago by a Mayo fan that Carlow had 5 season ticket holders so we probably wont have to move to portllaise for this game !"
There will be as many supporters (and neutrals) at the Carlow / Tyrone game as there was at the Carlow / Kildare game if not more, so how come they haven't pencil this game in for Portlaois / Tullamore.?? Did season tickets not apply to the Carlow / Kildare game.?

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1913 - 15/06/2018 12:24:47    2111817

Link

Looks like this ones going to sell out before Saturday. Should be a great atmosphere similar to Monaghan last year.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 18/06/2018 13:40:43    2112639

Link

Can't make it down to the match, first match in years I've missed but have a wedding.
Hopefully it will be a full house with great atmosphere. As for the match itself I think Tyrone will be too strong, running out easy enough winners. Best of luck.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1590 - 18/06/2018 18:55:17    2112782

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Can't make it down to the match, first match in years I've missed but have a wedding.
Hopefully it will be a full house with great atmosphere. As for the match itself I think Tyrone will be too strong, running out easy enough winners. Best of luck."
thanks Fridge. The sensible money is obviously on Tyrone. but all money is not sensible . cant wait. win lose or draw

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 399 - 18/06/2018 22:13:47    2112903

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "Presumably you were too busy to travel to Tullamore that day Caoimhog? I'm sure that we can dig you out a web link if you'd like to look back. Though maybe not?"
I was there. Was hoping we would get ye again in the draw.
Do you want a link for the 60yrs of results before that??

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 64 - 19/06/2018 21:35:55    2113206

Link

Last man standing.? - - - Seeing as that I'm left here minding the house on my own I'll take time out to wish our footballer's and hurlers all the best this weekend, Tyrone is favourites going into today's game and that's fair enough, Carlow footballers today are more competitive on the field than they have been for years, if they can raise their standard to the Kildare / Louth game level and play beyond the 70 mins, then anything can happen.
Carlow hurlers are 70 mins away from creating their own bit of history / success, a win on Sunday against Westmeath gets them a bit of silverware and a step up to a higher level in the next round, against limerick I think. Carlow can certainly get to the next level in both codes this weekend.
It's been a good year for the county and long may it last.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1913 - 23/06/2018 12:27:57    2113869

Link

Come on you Carlow boys. Get stuck in and compete for everything!

Maybe Tyrone are not as good as they think they are.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 23/06/2018 15:49:03    2113909

Link

Up against it this evening I fear... about to head in to Netwatch... Tyrone supporters in town last evening and they were confident of their team advancing... the heat will make a difference and I hope the younger members of our panel see action as a lot of players will wilt in the heat...
Tyrone are a proven team and we will need to be better than all our previous performances to be near them at the end.
I really hope we take any and all our gaol chances and if we do- we might have a chance...
We need I feel to get a better share of primary possession from our kick outs and if we leave Tyrone have possession from their kick outs - well we are going to find it very hard to get the ball back from them..
Hope we have a good performance and a good game... and we are cheering at the end!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1469 - 23/06/2018 16:11:30    2113910

Link

Thanks for a great season lads - promotion was the key priority- achieved. A decent championship run achieved - last night we met one of the elite level counties and the difference was reflected on the score board and no shame in being beaten by the better side.

For next year the key is to continue the momentum and at a minimum consolidate our position in Div 3 if not challenge there. Speaking to some of the players their morale is very high, positive already about returning to training already! Also Poacher has confirmed he is staying on which is great news indeed.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 450 - 24/06/2018 13:06:26    2114174

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Thanks for a great season lads - promotion was the key priority- achieved. A decent championship run achieved - last night we met one of the elite level counties and the difference was reflected on the score board and no shame in being beaten by the better side.

For next year the key is to continue the momentum and at a minimum consolidate our position in Div 3 if not challenge there. Speaking to some of the players their morale is very high, positive already about returning to training already! Also Poacher has confirmed he is staying on which is great news indeed."
Agree with all that and that's great news about Poacher and that the players are positively looking forward to next season. No reason whatsoever why we can't target promotion from division 3.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1137 - 24/06/2018 15:34:00    2114225

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Agree with all that and that's great news about Poacher and that the players are positively looking forward to next season. No reason whatsoever why we can't target promotion from division 3."
A sincere thank you to the management team and players for the tremendous effort they have put into the year.

We've been promoted, won two back to back championship matches and challenged effectively in all our matches, including yesterday.

Yes Tyrone were too good for us on the day and were deserving winners, but there's a momentum to this Carlow team that has me already looking forward to 2019.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 24/06/2018 21:20:09    2114358

Link

It's been a great year overall, I think yesterday was predictable it was hard to see us competing against a top 4 team, I'm looking forward to next season I hope we add some youth to the panel, there is some good talent out there and it's important we get them in

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1238 - 24/06/2018 23:02:56    2114423

Link

Great year. At the start of it if someone had said promotion to division 3 plus
championship wins against Louth and Kildare we would have been delighted.

Squad will learn from Saturdays game and we matched them for 25 minutes in
front of the biggest crowd in decades.

Team has improved from last year and Division 3 football will bring us on another
bit.

Huge effort by players and management, so well done and Carlow Rising.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 935 - 25/06/2018 10:32:21    2114542

Link

my prediction before the Championship was we would beat louth, lose narrowly to Kildare and maybe get a run in the backdoor.
I saw 3 games and two wins
The kildare win was briliant
Carloaw support growing all the time
DCP was so colourful on Saturday and the ground Shook when Daragh scored the goal.
Great night out in Carpeners back yard.
Cant wait for 2019 where we will have bye into quarter finals of Leinster

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 399 - 25/06/2018 13:07:18    2114648

Link

Its back to club action ... but I went home pleased enough after the Tyrone game as we competed in the areas that we needed to by comparison with the Laois game.
Well done to the players who gave it their best shot.. and that's all we can ask of a team.
Next year will bring its own challenges especially in the league but the championship is where we should be judged. This year we did really well in beating Louth and Kildare... and look at Kildare now!!

I know people look to the league but I see it as a means to an end- a means to try out players, and systems and get a good team spirit. Team spirit rises with success and this years Div 3 success has helped immensely with not just team spirit but county spirit also.
We will not be the surprise packet next year and so we will need to change out tactics a little to achieve success.
In the end of it al we need the players to perform and this year they have performed really well and I for one salute them and the huge efforts they put in all year!
Looking forward to next year... but first of all- we have the heartbeat of the GAA - the club to look forward to in the next few months and perhaps we can unearth a few more players for county duty.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1469 - 04/07/2018 21:08:26    2118642

Link