Carlow Forum

Shane Kavanagh Retires

(Oldest Posts First)

Just thought it was right to pay tribute to Shane Kavanagh for all his
years of service to the hurlers.

Can still see him clearing the ball four minutes into injury time when we
were a point up on Laois in that qualifier win.

What a great player.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 840 - 14/02/2018 11:16:06    2076725

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Just thought it was right to pay tribute to Shane Kavanagh for all his
years of service to the hurlers.

Can still see him clearing the ball four minutes into injury time when we
were a point up on Laois in that qualifier win.

What a great player."
Great player. Never understood how he was nt selected in backs in last few yrs. My stand out memory is his performance in 06 ring semi v west meath

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 425 - 14/02/2018 21:15:00    2076916

Link

Great player who gave enormous service to county and club. Let's hope he stays actively involved in the game in some capacity- still a lot to offer

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 420 - 14/02/2018 22:40:14    2076940

Link

Bimb, the 06 semi final was against Down in Mullingar. My favourite memories ry is ring final of 08 in Tullamore with those long range frees. Shane was a warrior ye, Eddie Coady too. Don't think I ever saw Shane play a bad game for Carlow. Even when he looked like he was beaten, he never was. Played minor in 2002 & following year he was straight in to the senior team. Also played county football at Minor and U21 level. A true legend of Carlow GAA.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1017 - 15/02/2018 18:24:45    2077199

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Bimb, the 06 semi final was against Down in Mullingar. My favourite memories ry is ring final of 08 in Tullamore with those long range frees. Shane was a warrior ye, Eddie Coady too. Don't think I ever saw Shane play a bad game for Carlow. Even when he looked like he was beaten, he never was. Played minor in 2002 & following year he was straight in to the senior team. Also played county football at Minor and U21 level. A true legend of Carlow GAA."
You're right Fergie. A serious long range free taker and reader of the game. I'm glad that they gave a dedicated feature/interview on the radio. Still up on line if anyone wants to listen. Fair play Shane and thanks. Laochra

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 437 - 18/02/2018 21:32:12    2078115

Link