Camogie Forum

Ashbourne / Purcell Cup 2010

(Oldest Posts First)

Quarter finals being played over the next two weeks, Anybody any predictions on who'll go all the way in either competition????

jinky (Dublin) - 25/01/2010 18:25:05    542175

Link

Think it'll be between DIT / NUIM and Mary I for the Purcell, although wouldn't rule out garda college coming down from ashbourne,

The great thing about these competitions is that teams can change so dramaticaly from one year to the next, college players career is so short,
always fierce competition and when it comes to the weekend, it always comes down to a little bit of luck on the day,

As for ashbourne, hard to look beyond UCD, WIT OR either of the Cork teams.

analysis10 (Kildare) - 01/02/2010 17:32:55    548467

Link

does anyone Know who won in the purcell cup qualifiers or what teams have qualified for weekend away?? i think its a disgrace that the camogie associations website hasnt been updated with any of this information and its not the first time neither?????
:)

chicko (Cork) - 04/02/2010 21:02:58    552214

Link

Good point Ckeeko. There is so little coverage in the press or the webb I was beginning to wonder if there is any camogie play at higher level. Certainly we don't hear anything about the Northern Universities. Start reporting on ourselves whether it be good or bad there is a lot of interest out here.

Sideliner (Fermanagh) - 05/02/2010 12:51:06    552572

Link

Just an update on the Purcell Cup for anyone interested NUIM came through their qualifier and play IT Tralee, that fixture as far as I know is early next week.

DCU scrapped past LIT and have now set up a clash with Garda College. Not sure when that game is.

Trinity hammered GMIT and play DIT who had a big winning margin against Carlow IT. This game has since been played and DIT are through to the Purcell Cup after a 13 point winning margin, while Trinity College go into the Purcell Shield.

QUB had a lot to spare over St Pats and now play Mary I. That game is been played today at 1.30pm in Dublin.

As Far as I know in the Ashbourne, UUJ overcame AIT in a very one sided game and the other three quarters are all scheduled to be played today

jinky (Dublin) - 06/02/2010 11:53:55    553303

Link

Mary I beat Queens today on a scoreline of 1-07 2-02, played in very heavy conditions, Mary I just about had enough to overcome there more physical opponents

jinky (Dublin) - 06/02/2010 16:05:22    553465

Link

Ashbourne Cup quarter-final results:

Waterford IT 4-18 Cork IT 0-6

UCD 5-12 NUIG 1-8

UCC 0-11 UL 0-9

jinky (Dublin) - 06/02/2010 16:09:34    553469

Link

Ok weekend just upon us, i'll go for WIT to retain Ashbourne Cup after a tough semi final scare against UUJ, UL to take the shield

In Purcell the winners of the Mary I and DIT game should win out, i'll go with DIT to provide the upset of the weekend, In the shield its hard to look past Queens, who I think are too strong to be in that competition to be honest,

jinky (Dublin) - 17/02/2010 14:25:07    564295

Link

One of the best weekends of camogie is ahead and i think its vital that all teams have as much support as possible. WIT for the ashbourne
but the purcell could have several shocks. Hopefully the refs wont be the cause of teams winning and loosing which has been the case
for many games in the past. Wish all the teams the best and that they have a great weekend. ROLL ON THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chicko (Cork) - 18/02/2010 12:16:05    565324

Link

Full results from Ashbourne/Purcell Cup weekend
Sun Feb 21 Ashbourne Cup final: Waterford IT 0-11 UCC 1-6
Purcell Cup final DIT 1-5 IT Tralee 0-5;
Ashbourne Shield final result: Univ Limerick 1-10 Cork IT 1-4;
Purcell Shield final Queens Univ Belfast 1-8 NUI Maynooth 0-8;
Saturday Feb 20 Ashbourne cup semi-final results Waterford IT 2-10 UU Jordanstown 0-3 UC Cork 0-10 UC Dublin 0-9;
Ashbourne shield semi-finals Cork IT 8-19 Athlone IT 1-8; Univ Limerick 6-9 NUI Galway 0-7
Purcell cup semi-finals DIT 3-7 Mary Immaculate Limerick 2-9; IT Tralee 2-10 Garda College 0-2;
Purcell Shield semi-finals NUI Maynooth 0-13 DCU 1-5; Queens Univ Belfast 4-9 Trinity College Dublin 1-1
See 2010 Ashbourne Cup on wikipedia

CamogieHistory (Dublin) - 22/02/2010 12:42:07    569383

Link

hhhhmmm got my predictions correct, ha ha go me, chicko was that you at midfield for Tralee IT in the Purcell Cup ????

jinky (Dublin) - 22/02/2010 17:12:59    569833

Link

Any thoughts on the Ashbourne All stars....can't believe Orla Cotter nor Denise Cronin didn't get one.

kennymaid (Kilkenny) - 22/02/2010 21:34:55    570359

Link

Overall i thought the all-stars were well handled with them spread out across the colleges unlike the inter-county ones! good weekend too, great having both competitions in one place too! Fair play to CIT!

___ (Waterford) - 01/03/2010 10:48:40    575686

Link

gr8 weekend was had at the weekend in CIT. fair play to everyone whom played a major role in the organising and running of the event. quick question does anyone know who picks the all stars.???? there are afew players whem were hard done in my view and from talking to others they seam to agree. standard of camogie was extreamly high but i think a day of recovery between semi finals and finals would further increase the skill level and result in higher quality games......... it would be an idea that in the future the semi finals be held on the friday and finals the sunday. I acknowledge that it may result in extra costs for colleges to stay away but this shouldnt interfere with the standard of the game... in several colleges there are no expenses spared to ensure that the male counter-parts return with silverware and in my opinion it is unjust that the same isn't been done for females.... after all they put in just as much if not more effort than males throughout the year and the college doesn't support them then when most needed. WELL DONE AGAIN TO CIT FOR A GREAT WEEKEND AND CONGRATS TO ALL THE TEAMS THAT MADE IT THE WEEKEND IT WAS AND WELL DONE TO WIT AND DIT ON YER SUCCESS.

chicko (Cork) - 01/03/2010 16:45:46    576144

Link

Chicko agree with your sentiments in relation to the recognition of female sports within colleges, but im afraid the lads will always get preference and when the lassies go looking for funds they certainly very rarely get as much as the males do. There is a huge push on getting more coverage of camogie but as well as being behind the male games , camogie is also far behind ladies football so realistically were bottom of the pile when it comes to funding, lets just soldier on and hope the coverage and playing numbers increase, then maybe there'll be more backing....

jinky (Dublin) - 03/03/2010 18:12:25    578307

Link

The funds that camogie receive compared to hurling should be proportional to the following that each has. For that reason, hurling should get approx 20 times the funding. And don't say that funding will help create an interest, if there was ever going to be an interest in it people know enough about it to start following it already and this will never happen. In fairness when ya watch an all ireland final and theres balls goin in over yer heads from mid field yed have to admit that people rightly should not follow it.

mmmmmmmm (Galway) - 20/10/2010 09:28:48    800054

Link